soil question

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have an area that was used for a "burn pile" . We were clearing out some very small trees. leaves and grass. I would like to plant that area and I'm not sure if whatever I plant will be ok. Can anyone help me with this?

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Get yourself a soil test from that area. You can get a soil test kit from your local extension agent. And they can give you all kinds of information on what grows best in your area. Are you wanting to plant flowers/vegetables?

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

You won't be able to tell where you burned, five years from now, and maybe not that long.For the most part the ground gets 700 degrees, and the soil is without organic nutrients, but that is what ploughing, and composting comes in.Mike

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I'd say just plant.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I'd vote for soil test first - you don't know what all they might have burnt there.

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm with Mike - you need to get some compost worked into the area and re-innoculate with some of the microbes naturally found in un-baked soil. If there is still a lot of ashes or left-over burnt items I'd rake 'em up and toss 'em - as Dryad says, no way to be sure what it is. But soil is sterilzed at high temps and much that would have been toxic is denatured as well, so I don't think it's a huge issue.

I don't know what you were thinking about planting there, but acid lovers won't be happy if there is a lot of ash left.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I vote for lasagna bed or raised bed, will never plant straight in the ground again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.