Jade Serpent...a beautiful little thing

Ewing, VA

Hello! I just wanted to share pics of my Jade Serpent that opened it's first bloom today. Lovely color and flower shape worthy of it's name. Hope you enjoy it as much as i do now.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

second pic...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Third pic...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

Fourth pic...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

and finally the fifth pic. Thanks for looking!

Thumbnail by mariava7
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

All I can say is WOW!!!! I will be adding thios to my next years list.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

This cool, refreshing green Serpent is very tempting! ;-)

R.

I LOVE this little guy!!! One of my favorites (and tough to find).
Here's mine.

Thumbnail by
Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Very sweet! I love that one! Have never seen it before either. Thanks for sharing!

Ewing, VA

Thank you...

Gordo...Have you had any success pollinating this or using it's pollens on other varieties?

Yes, I did have great success both using it's pollen for selfing and as donor.
I sold most of my Amaryllis seed to Australians and New Zealanders. They're unable to import bulbs, so seed is the only way they're able to get new varieties into the country.
There's a wild bunch of Amaryllis crosses in both those countries now. I crossed cybisters with butterfly, Dutch bulbs with cybisters, you name it. In three years or so, those folks are going to have hundreds of new varieties!
I feel my mission was accomplished there...

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Ah Hah!
So we will KNOW who to blame! LOL! KK.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

This looks to be the same Amaryllis as Jade Serpent, but it was sold to me under the name of Amaryllis 'Evergreen.' Whatever its name, it is beautiful.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Ewing, VA

Mwperry...I love the green flowered varieties. My Jade Serpent unfortunately only produces 4 flowers/scape. How many flowers/scape does Evergreen has?

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Hmm. . . Mariava, there is one stalk blooming and another emerging. Between the stalks there appears to be something peeping through. It looks like another stalk or maybe more foliage. There are 4 flowers plus 4 buds/scape at the moment.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry

Martha~

I believe that you have 'Evergreen' and not 'Jade Serpent'.

Beautiful!

R.

Ewing, VA

It is definitely Evergreen. Jade Serpent has wider petals that kinda twist without the "spidery look."

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Yes, Raydio, it was sold to me as 'Evergreen.' It looks so much like Jade Serpent, I thought perhaps it was the same with a different name. I bought it at Wayside Gardens. They wrote that they saw it in Holland, and knew they had to have it to offer at Wayside. Only 1,000 bulbs could be grown this season, and I got one of them.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry

Lucky folks to get one of the limited edition!

That green is just gorgeous.

R.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

It is such a pretty flower. I will "add that to my list"! LOL

I believe Evergreen may be a Cybister (?)
Jade Serpent is considered a miniature.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I didn't know what a Cybister was, so I Googled it. Pretty, pretty: http://www.shieldsgardens.com/amaryllids/cybister.html

But that does not look like my Evergreen.

Martha

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

http://gpnmag.com/Cybister-Amaryllis-article5899
The Cybister is a different "form" of Amaryllis Martha, it is not the name of one particular bulb. I think he was saying that Evergreen belongs to the group known as Cybister rather than the more common bulb/bloom type of Amaryllis.

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

I agree that he was classifying Evergreen with the Cybister group. That was an informative and interesting read, Janet. Thanks.

Martha

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

You are welcomed. Evergreen is a very pretty little thing too! I will have to try to get that one added to my growing collection..lol My pocketbook needs to grow a little more quickly so I can afford all of these new "wants"...LOL

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Jamet, tell me how to gather Amaryllis seeds and I'll send you a bunch.

Martha

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, Thank you Martha. You just let the seed pod form and ripen on the stalk, and once it is ripe it will crack open...that is about all there is to it. Thanks!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Janet, please look at the photos below. I snipped a faded bloom. All I see are stamens. Are the stamens the seed pods to which you refer? Perhaps I should not have snipped the bloom. Perhaps there needs to be more maturation to form a seed pod?

Also, please Dmail me your address.

Martha

Thumbnail by mwperry
Ewing, VA

Martha...I am falling in love with your Evergreen after taking a closer look at your pics. Thanks for sharing them.

I missed out in ordering Evergreen this season as it got sold out so quick. It was expensive too at $19.95 plus shipping. Definitely I will get Evergreen this spring. I will start a "joint order call" for Evergreen. D-mail me if you want to join in and I will post the "joint order call" at GW too. The price would go down to $14.95 each if 12 bulbs are ordered. Spring is just around the corner. :-)

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Voila! Look what appeared today! And another stalk (not photographed) is in the making.

Okay Mariava. Place my name on the list. BTW, what is "GW"?

Martha

This message was edited Dec 29, 2007 10:36 PM

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Oops. Forgot the pic.

Thumbnail by mwperry
Ewing, VA

Martha...You lucky girl you! GW is Gardenweb. It has an amaryllis forum too. I hope I won't be kicked out of DG for mentioning this. Are there any rules that I am violating?

You got lots of D-mail Martha...enjoy!

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Mariava. You've got lots of Dmail too!

Martha

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

Martha, I think I sent my addy yesterday or day before..but yes, you need to leave the faded bloom on the plant, the seed pod will form at the base of the bloom. I do not have but one Cybister and it did not set seed last year, but perhaps someone else can tell you if they easily polinate or if they are more difficult.

I would like to know if anyone has had good results with the doubles are far as pollenation. I seem to recall last year it was difficult to find the pollen on the Jewels that I had, anyone have suggestions? Or is it that some of them are sterile and cannot be pollenated>?

janet~

I have had positive results with double pollen on a single, but have never had a double with anything close to a stigma/style to work with. I have heard of some desperate measures using a clipped style, but haven't done that but once (with what appeared to be a style) and had no success.

R.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

That was the problem I noted last year...I didn't know if I was just such a novice that I "missed" something! LOL

Brandon, MS(Zone 8a)

Janet, Maria instructed me on pollinating my Amaryllis. I hope I did it correctly. I was unable to discern if the stigma was open and ready to receive the pollen. Nevertheless, I did my best. This Evergreen Amaryllis just keeps on setting blooms, and it appears that a third stalk is now growing. It is exceedingly prolific. I will continue to pollinate as blooms appear, and we'll see what happens.

Martha

P.S. Janet, I do not think you sent me your addres, but let's wait and see if my amaryllis forms seed pods. If it does, I will get your address then.

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 3:06 AM

This message was edited Dec 31, 2007 8:33 PM

JanetS~

Another thing that I have noticed on some doubles is the apparent lack of an ovary. The tube seems to proceed directly into the pedicel. If in fact there is no female organ present there would be no way for seed to be produced.

Someone asked me privately why I described the snip-and-dab-style as "desperate". Well, when one really wants to get doubles in your crosses, knowing that if both parents are double, the progeny will have a much higher percentage of doubles among them, such measures tell of a strong desire for that goal. There is probably a better word for the one I used to describe that king of intense intent...

R.

Braselton, GA(Zone 7b)

I will try to look at the Red Dragon I have blooming now...it is a double, and see if I can figure out "what parts" it may or may not have...lol I have several with buds getting ready for blooms, but only a white/pink one and Red Dragon are blooming right now...I will keep you posted though. But I did seem to recall that on Jewel last year I was not able to find everything I needed to make seed...lol

mariava7-
How do you create those colored backgrounds on your photos? Are you doing that with software? I particularly like the blue and black.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.