I have bees, wasps, yellow jackets at pond

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Newbie here and boy do I need help. I have bees, wasps, yelow jackets, and the like all going to my water hyathins and I'm assuming for a drink. I could tolerate 2 or 3 but I get 10 at a time. Pond is 220 gal, preform, waterfall, spitter, 2 lilies, yellow iris, zebra rush, pickerel rush and parrot feather. Water is generally clear with biofilter. I test the water and it's fine. I've put out those traps that you find at the Lowes and Home Depot with the lures but no luck. Anyone have ideas?

One of the draw backs is a water feture will attract all kinds of wild life, you have to take the bad with the good, sorry, just enjoy it for what it is.

Carlsbad, NM(Zone 7b)

You can make a wasp trap out of a 2 liter soda bottle. Leave the lid on it, cut a hole in the top (what used to be the bottom) and pour in some sugar, water and vodka. Then hang the trap. Supposedly, the wasps fly in to drink, get drunk and drown. I haven't made it yet, but plan to this weekend.

I don't mind the bees as they won't usually hurt you, but it's getting the time of year here where wasps and yellow jackets stay riled up and will sting without any provocation and I hate having to wait until the sun goes down to work in my pond.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Mardell...but,,done it, been there. Didn't work. I guess I've reclinquished to the fact that I have them. Doesn't mean I have to like it though. Now I have more problems..brown water and one sick fish. I didn't have the slightest problem all summer. Now my water is brown. Gotta do some searching to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the input though. I do appreciate it big time!! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.