Birds during a winter storm

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Put those on the wrong thread!

Marlton, NJ

Hi nanny, Those are House Sparrows.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

It's ok Nanny, you can post here . Will be good to have a great variety of birds on this thread too.

One of those 'senior moments', ya know!! LOL

Love all your photos too!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Today i got a few shot of the Chicadees.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Another one of Chickadee.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Eating his seed.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Cute pics burn!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Some Starlings

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thank you Pelle,
Many of these birds to my feeders.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Redpolls flocking at the feeders

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Starlings invading the feeders today.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A little Junco,braving it for a meal

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Redpolls community dinning

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Pine Grosbeak posing for a picture.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Showing his markings

Thumbnail by burn_2007

Boy, they sure are pretty birds!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Male hairy Woodpecker, grabbing a bit.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Cute burn!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thank you Nanny, I've seen your and you have pretty ones too.

Female Hairy Woodpecker

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pelle.

Acrobatic Chickadee

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Mourning Dove watching me.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

resting Junco.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Very nice Burn, beautiful birds! It looks like the birds are puffed up trying to stay warm...I don't blame them!

Marlton, NJ

Those Pine Grosbeaks are so cute! Thanks for the pics!

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

Burn-I love your photos-tell me HOW DO YOU KEEP THE SQUIRRELS OUT???
Sorry to yell-but I have a battle here-I fill a feeder and it is gone in 2 hours...one morning I woke to 17 of the pesky things all over my tree. I bought a baffle and with in 2 weeks they had it worked out...I am at wits end-any ideas?
I would love to have wonderful birds like yours :o)
Thanks, Robbi

Marlton, NJ

Sorry I don't mean to but in but was it a Pole baffle or a baffle that hangs over top the feeder?

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

over the top. I have one tree and very little yard so I need to make use of all the space I can-do pole feeders really work better? I am willing to tray anything! Short of a gun that is-and after they have destroyed 3 feeders by chewing them up until they crashed to the ground-that is looking tempting-they are lucky I have a soft spot for all vermin.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks everyone, Hey Robbi, how are you? Nice to see you here. My Pride of Barbado, I got from you, showed it's first leaf today!!! Had to share, thank you so much.
I'm afraid my squirrel is by it's lonesome. He's the only one I see. So far he's not being a nuisance,. I know other on this forum, that had to battle squirrel problem. Rose, Pelle , Marilyn, can you girls, answer her? Would be nice to know how, you guys deal with this.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Hey , you can butt in anytime, everyone welcome.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Sorry but I can't help with the squirrel problem. We only have one that shows up here and he doesn't do anything but sit in the tree. We even put one of those corn cob feeders up for him and he doesn't even eat that! We have lots of black walnuts here so I assume he is stocked up on those! I know they can be a real nuisance...our only problem are the starlings!!

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

So glad to hear it burn :o)!!! You are in my zone-how did you do it!!!!??? I haven't even tried yet-I am to chicken-LOL
Your birds are wonderful!! I so wish I could have them as well-I know my cats would love to watch them out the window with me :o)

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

ooo-I used to deal with those as well. Not nice birds :o(
I have a Black Walnut as well, but my annoying critters like black sunflower better! Last year they chewed off the heads of ever sunflower I planted. It is like that movie "The Birds" but with squirrels! They actually sit in my Maple tree in my front yard and throw black walnuts at me from the tree way in the back. I am not joking! Not nice!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness...I've never heard squirrels doing that. I know Pelle just got a feeder with a baffle that looks like it will keep the squirrels out. I'm sure she will be along and let you know how it is working. Sorry I can't be any help at all!

Best of Luck,
Rose

Saint Cloud, MN(Zone 4b)

LOL My baffle was fun to watch for awhile...they would just slide right off it....then they learned how to hang upside down and swing until their front paws grabbed it and they would let go with their back and then they would pull themselves up...rather funny to watch for my kids-but VERY annoying for me...and I will tell you what the others watched and learned very fast! I have a few snapshots-I will try to find them :o)

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

You've probably seen this video, but if not, it's priceless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6bnLQaQwxA

While I was looking for that one, I also came across this "Twirl a Squirrel" product. When squirrel lands on a feeder, its weight activates a motor which spins the feeder until they fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLiasdJeoo

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I have heard, they can outsmart those baffles, They eventually figure out a way to bypass, whatever is put in their way. They're smart creatures. I wonder how long it will take for them to figure out, the one Pelle got.

Robbi, I started it indoor, I don't have a greenhouse. I wanted to get an early start, I had to soak the 3 seeds in hot water for 24hr, and use heat under the pot. It took a couple of weeks before sprouted. I only have one, that came up so far.
What kind of birds do you get in your area, I know of one so far, the dreaded STARLINGS!!!
They invaded all my feeders today, the small birds were eating off the ground, or go on feeders when they'd leave. Usually, they hang around the suet, I made a different kind a few days ago, and they seem to find it hard to pry apart. I put in more lard then shortening, and less peanut butter. Maybe it's not as palatable.

Marlton, NJ

The over the top baffles don't work at all (as you know by now).

A Pole with Baffle system is great as long as its not too close to the trees.

I have alot of squirrels too.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

That was pretty good Peeper, I remember watching a similar video on TV, and the squirrel had manage to figure out, every obstacle that was put in it's way, just like your first link showed. I sure hope the twirler prove to be the one they can't figure out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.