Birds during a winter storm

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Bebbop2 told me I should post this picture here, that you would all get enjoy it.
This was during a bad storm last year. I took several pictures,because there were birds everywhere.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Here's a few more.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

And more

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Just didn't have enough feeders, they landed and waited their turn.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Well sorry about that, got the wrong picture. Don't know how to change it. So I posted another one.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Thanks for posting your nice pics burn!

That is alot of birds!!

Hebron, KY

Burn,

Thanks for posting all those photos. Nice pics! Bet it put a big smile on your face when you saw all those birds! I did while looking at your photos! ;-)

Welcome to the Bird Watching Forum!

Marilyn

Brainerd, MN

Wow!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

"Cool"! I enjoyed your pics Burn..thanks for posting them!

Rose

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

That is ALOT of birds!! Hope you'll join us here!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for your comments, yes it did put a smile on my face, It kept me busy clicking that day.
I have a few pic of a hawk and Pileated Woodpecker, we had in our yard last year and the year before. I will try to find the pictures and post it here.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Guess I won't be able to share the picture of hawk and Pileated Woodpecker.The Cd I burn of all my birds and animal is ruined. Lost all of it. :~(

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Some latest picture of backyard birds. Male and female Pine Grosbeak, with their mouth full.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic burn!! I love the PG's but have never seen one.

Awesome, Bern!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pelletory, and nanny. This year is the first year I'm getting so much. They're a welcome site. This is in my front yard. The birds are having a feast.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A Hairy WP munching on my peanutbutter mixture.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

A Starling trying to keep warm.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

One of my Chicadee feeder.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This Blue Jay was at My friend's place.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

This was last summer, baby Robins in my blue spruce.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Canada Goose, preparing to the journey south.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Well back to my theme, winter scenes. I can't say for sure who this little fellow is.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Great bird pics Burn.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Very nice pics Burn! I had Robins next right outside my window also and what a joy to watch them grow. What is the birdhouse made from and did you have any nesters? That last little bird looks like some kind of sparrow but not positive and I'd like to know what it is for sure as I've had some in my yard too!

Rose

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Rose ; It's an emptied out Coconut. I use it as a feeder. I had read that some birds like the coconut, so last winter I drilled a hole in it and hung it in the tree. No birds came for it. So I emptied it and put sunflower seeds in it. Chickadees and Sparrow or Redpoll uses it now.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I thought it was a coconut! I have some gourds that I want to try and make into birdhouses. I think I am full up on feeders so now I want houses!!

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I thought that the chickadee was going to use it as a nest this summer, but they didn't. That's why I switch to seeds. Now I want to try to build a roof for a makeshift platform, I made this winter. I want to make something I can easily take apart in spring, so I can put back my flower box. I need DH help, and he's not always available. So I will try to figure something out. I'm a bit like you, with your toilet lid. That made a nice platform.

Marlton, NJ

burn, That looks like a female Pine Sisken.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Oh wow Pelle, a Pine Sisken...is this one too?

Burn, be sure and post a pic when you get your roof done, I'd like to see it.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pelle, How can you tell the difference, from the Sparrow and the Pine Sisken? I thought the Pine Sisken had more Yellow on them, around the wings and tail. But I know that the Sisken female has less. Is there other features I should be looking for?
And Pelle, can you tell me if I have put the right name for my WP.
Rose I will post a picture when I get my roof done.

Thumbnail by burn_2007
West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

hmmm ... Grosbeaks and Siskens. I've seen them at my feeders and thought they were finches and sparrows. Thanks for the pics. I have several feeders, now I need some houses. Will the birds use the houses in the winter, or just in the spring and summer for nesting?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Oh wow Pelle, a Pine Sisken...is this one too?

Female Purple Finch

Resin

I'm with you burn, I can't tell them apart. Yet anyway!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks Resin...at least now I can quit wondering!

Marlton, NJ

The Pine Sisken has a thin POINTY Beak and usually has a little yellow on the wings.

Markings are alot differnt between the two also.

Heres a page on Pine Siskens (look at both sexes),

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Pine_Siskin.html

Heres the page on Purple Finch

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Purple_Finch.html

Look at the pic of both the sexes than read the part under "description"

Lots of differences between these 2 birds.

Hope this helped! Pelle :-)

This message was edited Dec 15, 2007 2:08 PM

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That is a great link Pelle! I can actually SEE the difference. I love my little Female Purple Finch but still looking for a Siskin! Thanks for all the info...it was very very helpful. I need to get a new bird book!

West Norriton, PA(Zone 6b)

I must say these bird watching threads are much better than the book I have. Thanks for posting the pictures, they have been very helpful. I'll try to post a few pics as well ... I definetly need help with some IDs.

Marlton, NJ

Glad you like it Rose, I think its a good site and their descriptions are well done.

I keep it very closeby in my Favorites.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the link Pelle , very useful, I'll bookmark it too.
Good question Michaeljo, I would like to know also, if they use the houses in winter.
Anyone make their own recipes for suet?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.