Spectacular 2007 Cottage Garden Seed Swap #5

Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

I updated my wish list and added a few spices/herbs: anise and Italian dandelion. I really want these and I'm wondering if noone else does, if I could just pay for a pkg of each in the group order?

Would that make things too difficult at your end Suzy? ....its not like I need any more seeds at all really :)

also, I did notice park's has the chocolate mint coleus seeds

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Bud, Thanks for letting me know -- I'll ltake you off next time I post the list, ok?

Wind & Wrightie, I'm glad coral, salmon, red, orange & yellow are on your good lists! I was starting to feel quite unfashionable.

Wind, Yes, you can add them on, no problem. You can even wait until the last minute before I order to decide which ones you definitely want. Italian Dandelion --uh, do you eat it? Or is it for the butterflies?

Suzy

Southern, United States

Ok, here are my selections. It was way hard to narrow it down! I may like to buy a couple of packs too Suzy if you don't mind. Here we go:
1487A Uproar Rose Zinnia - F1 hybrid - Deep rose double blooms on plants that reach a garden height of 28-36 in/70-90 cm, with a width of 24-27 in/60-68 cm. Loves heat.
1740A Benary's Pacific Giants Black Knight - Latin Name: Delphinium elatum 5 ft/153 cm plants with deep violet flower spikes bloom the first year from a December greenhouse sowing. Good for cutting, grow in partial shade or full sun.
857H Pacific Astolat Delphinium Latin Name: D. elatum Pale pink, rose, rosy lilac, and raspberry rose with dark bee. Standard tall (4 ft./122 cm) strain for cutting and plant sales. Should be grown in well drained sandy soil. As plants mature, they should be staked to protect the heavy flower spikes during windy weather. 10,000 - 13,0000 seeds per oz./28 g.

the other ones I was really interested in were helianthus ring of fire 981F Ring of Fire Alt. Name: Sunflower Latin Name: Helianthus annus (4 ft./120 cm) Large 6 in./15 cm tricolor bloom, dark red base, golden tips, dark center. Branching habit, long side stems and 779 Red Valerian Alt. Name: Jupiter's Beard Latin Name: Centranthus ruber (Ruber Coccineus) (24 in./61 cm). Free flowering dense carmine red terminal clusters are highly fragrant and provide long lasting cut flowers. Zones 4-9.

So far all the picks look good to me. I had to cut myself off from looking after I found these. I haven't seen them elsewhere and I could've made selections all day!

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Karen, Question on the violas...do they tend to self-seed?

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

wind - I'm with you on the anise and Italian dandy!! I would vote for some herbs too.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, I like the sounds of those herbs, too. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks for holding a spot for me (*hugs bluespiral*)... I just got back into town, been a little busy with niece & nephew to take a good look at the Stokes site. I'm more interested since it looks like orange/red/gold colors aren't topping the lists, LOL.

If you need my "final answer" before you post a new thread, just let me know!

(Zone 7a)

Grampapa, years ago, I bought some violas from Frank's Nursery before it closed that looked exactly like Stoke's Viola Penny Purple Picotee, with that very dark-purple, thin picotee edge, and then cream, faintly-blushed-pale-yellow face with whiskers. I can say that it definitely self-sowed - but just a few - because I harvested a lot of seed. I'm still kicking myself over giving that seed away.

I was surprised, that being a hybrid, that the offspring looked just like the parents.

But since I do not know if this viola is the same cultivar as the one I grew from Frank's, I can't predict how well it'll self-sow or how closely it's seedlings will resemble the parent. Another thing to keep in mind is that I've noticed that when I grow more than one kind of viola and/or pansy in our garden, that they cross. So I won't grow this one close to a different pansy.

I may buy an extra packet or two of this one, because I'd love to have another edging like this one in my garden again. I'll wintersow some and then sow another batch around July per Suzy's advice, and then we'll see if this one behaves like the ones from Frank's.

For me, violas have to be treated like biennials, started around mid-summer for next year's bloom. I wouldn't depend on violas being long-lasting perennials.

Critter, glad you're back. Hope you find something irresistable here.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK (deep breath) here goes - this is the first time I've done something like this, so let me know if I mess up anything.
I'm interested in:

608D Caudatus (Amaranthus): Love Lies Bleeding: (3 ft./91 cm Love Lies Bleeding). Ropes of red blooms trail from main stems.

1274A Horminum Tricolor Mix: Latin Name: Salvia horminum
(18 in./46 cm). Formula blend of blue, pink and cream shades. Packet contains 100 seeds. Approx. 9,500 seeds per oz/28 g.

1295D Salsa White: Salvia splendens: Ivory/white tips. The SALSA Series is daylength neutral (plant height remains compact in mid summer). Bushy plants will flower 8 - 10 weeks in paks and are excellent in 4 in./10 cm pots. Prolific bloomer! Responsive to B-9 and high light intensity to stay extra dwarf. (Outdoors 15 in./38 cm).

156 Caraway: Carum Carvi: 70 days. Biennial. Roots are eaten as a vegetable, leaves and shoots in salads, seeds for seasoning. 20in./51cm plant. Best sown in late summer to yield fresh seed next season. 12,000 seeds per oz./28g. Pkt. 200 seeds.

I'm also interested in the Chocolate Coleus, Anise, and Italian Dandelion.

(Zone 7a)

Dryad, regarding your Love Lies Bleeding seeds - Dave said he thought this was very cute, so I thought I'd share this unusual illustration of Amaranthus caudatus, in which Dave wears it like red dreadlocks. But, in the first post here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/796094/ - Janet has cropped his wig and elfed him. How can any of us NOT grow Love Lies Bleeding after this?

Happy Holidays, everyone

karen

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

That site is wonderful! Does this mean that in addition to growing Love Lies Bleeding, that we all have to do the Macarena at the next RU?

(Zone 7a)

The mind boggles at the possibilities

ha ha..the elf thing is so funny, took a while to load but worth the wait!!!! I might have to elf my husband and send it to his office.....he'll crack up!!!! I have just the right photo with a large face shot! ...love lies bleeding was in our recent swap ~ and could pop up again in the Feb swap too for those interested

Stokes sure has ALOT to pick from... they have almost every kind of zinnia I always buy (could I add some of those on to mine too Suzy?)

here is another for my wish list:

> Bergonia Cordifolia

.....I looked it up and saw Weezin has seeds avail for trade on this one

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

wind, I was going to add the bergenia cordifolia (748), too

also, 478 pulsatilla dwarf
991 hypericum calycinum (St John's wort)

I'm interested in almost any zinnias

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

oooooooo ........zinnnnnnnnnnias...........

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Thumbnail by wind

terrible photo I know...but couldn't resist...better not zoom in on that one!
has anyone noticed Stokes also has tall snapdragons? Has anyone grown them? This year I saw them at the Phila. flower show for the first time and they were really nice and cottagey
~Diana

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

wind, I've not grown them yet, but they grew tall snaps at the Chicago Botanic Garden when I was volunteering as an MG. I did my stint in their English Walled Garden section (IT...WAS..HEAVEN - the only place I miss in Chicago). Anyway, they changed their annuals out a lot, and they grew the taller snaps. It was in a real Cottage area (about 3' x 6') and had lovage, nasturtiums, oakleaf lettuce, pansies, snaps (big and short), and a couple other things I can't remember, will have to see if I have a pic of that. Every time I went I took my camera, as you never knew what you would see! Anyway, those snaps did great there - I would call it partial sun. They got a lot of morning, but come noon or 1:00 or so the sun was dappled by Golden Delicious apple trees.

They have a really cool spot on their site called "What's In Bloom" and you can see what's blooming, by area, in the entire Gardens. I check it every two weeks and actually copy it to a Word doc so that I can research what they've got going on up there, and see what's in bloom! When I volunteered they would actually print it off for the English Walled Garden folks, as our list always ran to at least two pages and try as they might, the ID volunteers just couldn't keep up with all the constant changes. (My volunteer stints were as an "interpreter" - helping folks know what they were looking at, why it worked, what an English or Cottage Garden was, etc. I never got to play in the dirt there.)
(edited for spelling)

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 10:52 AM

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Karen... that's a cute thread.. I have one going too!! Come see my family other DG'ers and elf yourself here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/794726/

Suzy.. and just a note about my color preferences.. I will only and absolutely only accept seeds that are in the full color spectrum.. Anything else is just unacceptable to me :)

Susan

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Suzy,
Add me too please! How fun! I love all colors! Rachel

Okay Rachie, Glad you found the thread :)

Wind, I have grown Snaps for 40 years. Won a 4H blue ribbon for them at the State Fair in 4th grade, as a mater of fact. They want a curious combination of full sun and relief from the hot burning sun in the dead of summer. They won't be happy if you let them dry out and need mulch and prefer rich soil. My best snaps were on the northwest side of my house, and my second best ones were on the west side, under the eave, of a covered porch. I had to water them tho. Under the northwest side of a big tree might be good -- just barely under the canopy so that when the sun is at the highest in summer, they are shielded by the branches until the afternoon -- or I suppose the opposite would be good -- on the north east side -- then they would get morning sun, but be shielded from the hot western sun.

Oops Mr. Clean came home early 0-- I'll post later

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Suzy,

I edited my post about the superscape in my order.

Thanks again,

Teri

Okay, looks like we're ready to go public now that Rachie found us.

New official thread:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797045/

Teri, Gotcha, and SGL, LOL! Gotcha :)

Wind, One thing they don't usually say in the catalogs is how fragrant snapdragons are.

Gone here so we can really start and get this show on the road:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797045/

Suzy

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Dontcha just love the miracle of birth? I sowed many of my seeds last weekend and now have many of them poking their little faces out. Isn't it amazing how those tiny little ridiculous specks called seeds, somehow turn into the glorious plants that we so adore?

I just felt like REJOICING with you all over my new crop. :~)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

You sure got an early start! I hope you've got lots of space for all those little transplants... like kittens, they get big before you know it!

LOL! Ain't that the truth!

I bought the most wonderful thing today - a blue nasturtium!

07951 - Tropaeolum Azureum

https://www.rhshumway.com/dp.asp?P=%7B1FB10A14%2D4C49%2D448A%2D874E%2D96B9D5C814C6%7D

It reminded me of Wind.

Suzy

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

That is gorgeous Suzy!

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Uh oh, Suzy. That's pretty groovy! Does it really grow to 5-7 ft?

Critter, I actually started a bit later than I had wanted to. Last year I vowed to start before Christmas. :)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

LOL - when I followed the link it said "this product does not exist" - which was my initial fear, anyway... >smile< ...

I think it got that catalog, I'm gonna go look. I *love* nasturtiums - nothing easier, IMO.

Wrightie, I am so sorry, the first thing I meant to say was congratualtions on your seedlings peeping through!!!!! That is always so renewing!

This blue nasturtium is a vine, so 5-7 feet is right. They show it in a hanging basket, but I don't know how it would grow in one of those for a whole season. I thought a big pot with a trellis in it would be more suitable.

It isn't hardy (well, in Z9-10, I think) but makes a tuber that is way down in the bottom of the pot. You can harvest it and store it dry, but cool and dark, over the winter.

They grow in the wild in a combination of extremely free draining mix and lots of water. This is exactly what I don't have here, so that part ewill be the challenge. I don't water daily, so I need to use a less free draining mix, but not one where they will rot.

I have a different one, growing (existing) Tropaeoleum tricolorum. It is quite annoying because it belongs down in Z9 where it grows and blooms in the winter. I've had it since Feb and it spent all spring and summer underground in a pot, then decided to sprout in October. The leaves are totally unlike any garden nasturtium, more like a Canary Creeper. If you want to grow another kind of Nasturtium that's easier to find, try your hand at Canary Creeper (lookin the Brent and Becky's current catalog, I htink they cary the bulbs)

Suzy

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

Suzy, I spotted that blue nasturtium in the Shumway catalog and wanted it. And I'm gonna get it, too. Kinda feel like I'm getting in over my head, what with all the wonderful seeds I have here now, but "in over my head" is where I usually want to be come spring!

I didn't know you could store their tubers - I might try it with these unusual ones. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us - I learn so much.

Wrightie, so happy for you and your new sprouts. I can hardly wait!

Peggy

You're welcome - that bit of knowledge came from DGer Ursula from Santiago. She collects seeds (in very small quantities) from the hills/mountains of Chile. But I bought my tubers from Australia where they were grown from seed bought fro T&M :))

You might look and see if you can leave them in the ground. It's hard for me to imagine Zone 8 :))

You can store four O clock tubers, too. Its not worth it on the common ones, but if you ever get one that is splatted and splotched the perfect way, you can save it. JUMBO hard tubers, like dahlia clumps, but I never saw they were splittable like dahlias. You'll need a huge cardboard carton for them, then cover them with dry potting soil r or peat or perlite or vermiculite

About a month after storage Northerners need to go through and wrap the cartons in Saran wrap or something to keep them from drying out. (Our storage can be 6 months, while yours is only 2-3 months, isn't that right?)

Budbloom,

If you order from them, I am trying to determine whether this photo has Peach Melba or Strawberries and Cream Nasties in it -- their cartoon picture drawing is totally unrealistic, I already know that. But I believe the person posting this photo said they were Strawberries and Cream.

Isn't it pretty?

Suzy

Thumbnail by Illoquin

It is pretty, but I'm almost positive those are Peach Melba - I was excited when I read that name, hoping for a peachy color, but ...

Oh, okay, then, that's actually good news :) I was thinking at the time that I'd remember because the flower colors didn't match the name. But of course, I forgot. I really want one of those pots next year, maybe 2!

Covington, LA(Zone 8b)

I grew those last year - Peach Melba - and that's why I remember the name - it's not what you're expecting, but they are beautiful. I plant seeds early in spring in the garden and they're pretty fantastic, just foaming over the edges and all. Then they're done, the first sign of heat gets them, but they are so worth it. Every year I try to outdo the last, and I think these blue beauties will do it.

If I were to store the tubers, I guess I'd have to store them from about May until what? I could plant them in the fall, I guess. I never have but it's worth a try. Where could I store them - in the house, in the a/c? We just had our first hard freeze this week, and last frost date is in about Feb. I can see digging them up when they finished because they'd probably rot in the ground in summer. The ground never freezes here, so they'd probably be all right over winter. I guess I'll see how it goes over this next year.

Budbloom, Which one are you asking about? I forget. The schedule you're suggesting is for the tricolorum - -the one that made me mad because it's on the wrong schedule..

The blue one is on more of a normal (for me in Indiana) schedule. Up in the spring and down in the fall. FROM WHAT I GATHER. I actually have no idea how I gathered that opinion, LOL.

Is the blue one hardy in Z8? That's sort of a hard question. You could check PF, and also dmail Ursula. She acted like the tubers on all the Tropolaeums go down in the ground really, really deep, and I don't think your frost line is more than 6" is it? The thing is, it wouldn't be way down snug as a rug if you grew it in a pot.

I wonder if the regular Nasturtiums we grow produce a harvestable tuber? Wish I had thought to look!

I did look for a tuber on the Mina lobata, because the Latin name on it was changed to the same genus that Sweet potato vine. No luck, tho. I maybe could have dug up the roots, but they didn't look too propmising for a 6-month storage.

Suzy

good luck with your seedlings WRIGHTIE :)

Suzy, I think its peach melba vs strawberries n cream too because the straw.'n cream looks like it has a semi double bloom. http://www.valueseeds.com/archive-2083.html I really like your arrangement! The first time I saw nasturtiums in a pot was in the Adirondacks at a B&B; they looked great also. Mine didn't look as great in the ground. I grew the peach melba with red geraniums, and have red cannas behind them.

...never knew there was a BLUE nasturtium :)

Suze - if they had a tuber they'd be perennials, wouldn't they?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.