Today's Weather in Your Garden - 8

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I've been reading all of your posts with great interest.

Booj - how awful. I hope you don't have a concussion from banging your head. Be careful!

Candyce - Oh, My! That's a lot of snow you're getting. I think I'd better check in with our neighbor! We'll have to dig our Jeep out to drive it down to my son's for the rest of the winter. Oh boy!

Victor - I'd rather have snow than your ice any day! Careful!!

Hope you all stay safe!

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

Stopped snowing around 5, went to the Our Body exhibit - very interesting. Real bodies - "plastinated". I was most impressed with the vascular system - seeing all the blood vessels, especially in the lungs.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

That show was in NYC too but I never got to see it. Looks real cool.

I enjoyed it, it was a little like anatomy class, but still good. It was free for nurses, so that was nice too.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i saw an article about Bodies:the Exhibition show in NYC a couple years ago (i thought it was still there at South Street Seaport) which had pictures, and it totally freaked me out. It was on the AOL homepage, and i wrote and complained. I think one of the freaky ones was someone posed running, whose skin was peeling back all over like a chiffon dress. (thankfully, i can no longer quite picture it.)
i am really and truly fascinated by the idea that people i like find it at all appealing. Maybe i am just weird, but to me it sounds like something out of a horror movie except it is real. Especially as you can see the people's faces. And then reading about how the bodies are procured from China, and they claim people ok'd being used in this type of "medical science," but apparently there are some doubts.
It is still at the Seaport until February. (I just made Eric look for me cause i was afraid i'd have to see pictures.) They actually were running bus ads with pictures of one of the less graphic displays when i was there last May.
In AU, they had some displays with organs treated in this way, which was not so bad - it's just the faces and full bodies that give me nightmares.
End of rant.
and now back to your regularly scheduled weather.

37, no new snow overnight, and scattered showers today. About 6 inches total yesterday.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

you prompted me to check out the 'Bodies' website. I am one of the ones that finds it fascinating. They have a video on the website [http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/bodies.html ] that gives the visitor's thoughts on the exhibit. Gives you a whole new perspective and appreciation for the 'gift' of you.

Fascinates me!

29 here and cloudy. Bigger Noreaster coming tomorrow night. Sounds like a mix for us.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

34 here and sunny.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

No snow here - 9 and clear.

Ooh, all of 9 degrees! Frozen tundra?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I wish it was - they've had heating coils in it for a long time now.

I told the kids to look at the cool clouds this morning - they were underwhelmed.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

It is like sky feathers.

It looks like it's a reflection in the water to me.

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

All is quiet here after yesterday!! We only got about 3-4 inches of snow here but the Albany area got a lot more. DD#2 didn't come home last night - had a sleep over with a co-worker. It was only 4 miles to her friend's house but it took her over an hour to get there. Alternate route 7 was even closed down because of all of the accidents. Guess who spent the night with me and then got up at 3:30a.m. It's going to be a long day for my grandson - good thing there is a sitter here watching him!! Eleanor

I'm a nurse, and have knowledge about anatomy and disease, but actually seeing everything, made me appreciate my body more, and want to take better care of it!! And it wasn't gross. There were some diseased specimens - cancer and stroke. That was interesting.
And I've seen surgery, not extensively though. This was good to see so much. So if any of you get a chance to see it, I recommend it.

Nice shot Al. Sky waves. Up to 42 here and melting snow. More fun Sunday with the bigger storm.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice sky pic Al. We call that a mackerel sky around here, means a storm within 24-30 hours usually. Suns out here and it has warmed up to 40 degrees. Partly to mostly cloudy with very little wind. We got just under a foot of the white stuff here, you couldn't keep up with it shoveling yesterday afternoon. Here is the tale of the tape this am. Looks like a mixed up mess for Sunday.

Thumbnail by ngam

We got 4" yesterday. We are on the borderline of the one coming, snow then ice. Depends on how far south it goes. Oh boy.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i think it is the faces that bother me.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

I hope we keep getting rain - at least until my landscaper comes and gets the leaves. Then it can snow as that is a super natural mulch!

Great day! The high was 44 and many mall shoppers just had on a sweater! No winds - ideal day for improving the economy!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Leaves?44? that's crazy talk.

16-20 inches predicted over the weekend

Wow. Combination of snow and ice for us again.

Albany even cancelled a conference for Monday due to the prediction.

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

We ended up with about 4 inches of snow yesterday with a nice thick crust of sleet on top! warmed up nicely today though-45. The driveway melted off nicely. My DH was up at 1:30 a.m. plowing the driveway so he could get out and go to work!
Right now the weatherman is saying Sunday's storm will start out with 1- 3 inches of snow then turn to all rain.

You're lucky it will mostly be rain for you.

Ours will be mostly rain, too, thankfully. Not that I believe it but the forecast for next Thursday is for temperatures in the 40's. Nice to dream about.

belleville, NJ(Zone 6a)

i have a show here in new haven tomorrow night, and one in hartford on sunday. i am knocking on wood wherever i can find it that sunday is going to happen! we don't have to be there till 2, but the theatre crew comes in at 9am to set up.
please, we just have to get thru this weekend! it's the last performance.

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

For the Thursday storm, we ended up with about a foot. It sure looks pretty. Thankfully we have a snowblower. Not so great was the fact that the darned thing broke while in use Thursday evening. Good thing is that DSIL is a mechanic. Not so good is that he'll have to go find some parts for it today.

Once again we are expected to receive quite a few inches of snow - possibly as much as another foot - before it turns to a couple of inches of ice. After the ice, it should turn into snow again for another few inches. Ah! Don't you just LOVE prognostications?

I was so busy yesterday that I didn't get outside to take a photo of Thursday's snowfall. I hope I can get one or two of the weather results tomorrow.

Today's weather ~ AKA 'The Calm Before the Storm'

Current Temp: 13°
Possible High today of 21°

A slight wind chill factor is in play so it feels like 1° outside
Winds are out of the North at about 10 MPH

Dew Point is -2°
Humidity is 40%

Barometric Pressure is 30.44 and rising
Visibility is 10 miles

Sunrise: 7:13 Sunset: 4:14
-----------------------------------------------------
Al:
I love your 'sky feathers'!!

Upper Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5a)

We're supposed to get mostly snow - let you know how it turns out!! DD#2 has to fly to Baltimore again on Sunday and we're hoping the flight is cancelled. If it's delayed she still has to get to the airport which is an hour away and that is in the mixed precipitation area. I wish she would get another job - a 2 hour commute everyday and flying to Baltimore so much. The commute to Baltimore from Albany takes about the same amount of time as the 1 hour commute down to Albany from here. My DD#2 is a terrible driver and has wreck of a car and her driving on route 87 scares the %*#@ out of me!! One of her close friends said she's going to kill herself in that car someday on route 87!! I refuse to ride with her unless it's to the hospital up the road, otherwise I can drive myself!! Then all of that time she spends in the air and flying makes her nervous! WOW, did I change the subject and ramble on!! Gotta make a grocery list to get stocked up before the storm and I'm out of food anyway! Eleanor

My prayers are for you, and your DD#2.

Same here, Eleanor.

22 here right now. Sounds better for us for tomorrow. 1-3 inches before changing to all rain.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Fair 9°
Feels Like: 0°
Barometer: 30.42 in and rising
Humidity: 49%
Visibility: 10 mi
Dewpoint: -4°
Wind: NW 5 mph
Sunrise: 7:08 am
Sunset: 3:59 pm
High 16
Severe Weather Alert: 8" of snow, then changing to sleet, then back to snow. Starting around 7am Sunday morning, going until 7am Monday morning.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

"couple inches of ice". Yikes! Guess who forgot to take my boots from the farm down to my son's! What an idiot......guess I'll be doing some slipping and sliding around.

Eleanor - good thoughts coming your way for you and DD2!

Candyce - watch out on all that ice! Take pictures from inside!

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Mostly sunny and not much of a breeze at all. Started out in the low teens got up to freezing when the sun shined on the thermometer and now has dropped back down to 20 again. Should get mostly rain and wind sandwiched between snow and ice at the start and at the finish. If you want to see the weather here tomorrow just watch the Pat's game, whatever they have I have. :)

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

We had a huge downpour here for more than an hour. I had water standing on my patio about 4 inches deep, and my green bean plants are now hanging down to the ground, blooms and all - from their ceramic pot. We needed the rain very badly. I thought it would cool things off, but it is still terribly muggy and 82 degrees outside. Tomorrow and Monday are supposed to be much cooler.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

1-3 inches tonite, 4-6 tomorrow then icy rain, 1 inch Sunday night. Oh man. I'll have my grandkids tonite and tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.