Daily Pics Vol. 39

Marlton, NJ

Burn very nice pics! Yes those are Redpolls! So nice to see the Pine Grosbeaks too!

Nice pics Jane!

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Speaking of redpolls, it looks like a few are staying around our feeders.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Hebron, KY

Rose,

Glad you're ok! 50 cows?! That's alot! ;-) Are any of them calfs (babies)? Are any of them friendly enough to pet them?

Hebron, KY

Jane,

The House Finches eat alot and will 'eat you out of house and home'. ;-)

What's that other Goldfinch, besides the American Goldfinch in your photo? Lucky you to have two different GF's!

The Roadrunner eats birds?! :-0

Hebron, KY

Bebob,

Nice pic of the Redpoll! Lucky you to have them at your feeders! I've never seen one, except in photos.

Redpolls look like a sweet and adorable little bird!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 12:18 AM

Marlton, NJ

Marilyn, Jane gets the Lesser Goldfinch. :-)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Speaking of finches… I think this little one was actually eating the snow. I had previously had some seed under there, but I think it was all gone. Guess I need to get one of those heated water baths.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

WBN from last week.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Look who showed up today!!!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

So very strange (to me) to see them in town.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Klamath River, CA

The morning gang.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

also

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Hi burn, I lost most of this years pics too! Some are here on DG though. I love the bird house topped with snow.

Thanks Marilyn and pelle, the jay went vertical ready to land on a branch, lucky shot!

Deb, I do have Collared Doves, there's always a pair sat in the trees catching the sun.

Jane, you will be out of pocket at that rate! Love the roadrunner!

bebop, your poor little redpoll looks frozen! So does your find Mrs Ed.

Those little WB Nuthatches are so cute nanny!

Not so sure about the Hawk Mrs_Ed, but what a grand looking bird.

I had what I thought was a Great Tit on an oak today, but when I saw it on the pc it was not. I think this is a Willow Tit, it is smaller and has no black stripe down the breast, the breast more buff to dirty white. I haven't yet seen one, and they are on the red list.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/families/tits.asp

Thumbnail by wallaby1

That's quite a gang there adelbert!

Sie view of theTit. The sky was a nice blue but I had to lighten the pics with D lighting so it's a bit bright.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

I got pics yesterday of some birds which looked like thrushes but not quite. They are a little smaller, the song thrush is smaller than the mistle thrush, but these looked even smaller. They were flying excitedly around the holly tree across the road, which was still loaded with berries. Today I saw at least 6, they are making fast work of the berries but there's still a lot left, I have never seen so many berries on the tree.

I looked it up today, it's a Redwing. They come in the autumn, eat berries and worms, I have never seen these before but I have never been out looking so much before either!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/redwing/index.asp

This was through a gap in the tree yesterday, I couldn't see much of it but I could see the rich colour.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Today they were dive bombing well into the tree, but this one posed for me on the outer branches.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Another, this looks sweet, maybe a female?

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This one looks majestic, maybe a male (guessing), at the very top of my oak tree.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Another

Thumbnail by wallaby1

This looks like the last baby blackbird I saw.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A Redwing from behind, it looks ike a propeller.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Cutie dove sunning in the oak, it's mate was nearby. I nearly missed this one sat in a nook.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

Mrs Ed, Very nice pics!Love the Goldfinch, WBN and the Coopers Hawk!

nanny, Nice White-breasted Nuthatch!

wallaby & adel, very nice pics!

I gotta tell yah, I've had quite the chuckles watching the Blue Jays with the nuts the past few days. They like to see how many they can fit in their mouth. I think the record so far (at my house) is five!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Yikes these pages are moving too fast to keep up with!!

Quoting:
Maybe a Cormorant?

Yes; Double-crested Cormorant
Quoting:
Osprey up high

Herring Gull !! ;-) first- or second-winter
Quoting:
There was another little bird in there somewhere, it appeared behind the doves. I thought it was a Pied Wagtail but not so sure now

Yep, Pied Wagtail. In front of the left-hand Collared Dove
Quoting:
Redpoll?

Yep.
Quoting:
Look who showed up today!!!

Cooper's Hawk, juv.
Quoting:
I had what I thought was a Great Tit on an oak today, but when I saw it on the pc it was not. I think this is a Willow Tit

Coal Tit - note the large black bib with a triangular base; Willow Tit only has a small squarish bib.
Quoting:
Another, this looks sweet, maybe a female?

Yep, Redwings. Seems to have been a big influx the last day or two, probably getting too cold for them in Scandinavia now. No sex differences in them, so can't say if male or female.

Resin

edit: typo

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 9:35 PM

Klamath River, CA

The lunch bunch.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Sorry guys I didn't realize this thread had gotten so long.

***Todd Boland will be starting the new Daily Pics thread soon***

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Sweet lunch pack adel! Nice pics wallaby, bebop, marilyn, pelle et al..!

You guys are keeping resin busy, lol. (I/we really appreciate you resin, you know that?!)

Will wait for Todd..

debnes

Las Cruces, NM

These threads are moving too fast for me to keep up; but I love every minute of if. There are so many beautiful birds here. GREAT Pics everyone! I love that this forum has folks from all over. It’s so neat getting to see all the birds that I don’t have here in New Mexico.

Marilynbeth … As Pelle mentioned, my yellow finch are lesser goldfinch. The brighter ones with black are males and the lighter colored ones are female. Here are a couple closer shots of them. Also, I knew that roadrunners ate lizards, snakes, field mice and other small rodents; but I didn’t know they ate small birds until just the other day. One of them killed a house finch and was eating it. Now, it keeps coming back stalking around my back yard feeders.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Marlton, NJ

You guys can always post pics in your own threads till Todd starts the new one. :-)

Heres the new thread:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797043/

This message was edited Dec 12, 2007 7:45 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.