Daily Pics Vol. 39

Hebron, KY

Sybil,

Wow! Two at the same time! Great pics! Beautiful WP!

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

GF eating Thistle while clinging upside down on this mesh feeder.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics guys!

sybil you are SO lucky to have them!

Hebron, KY

A GF getting to eat BOSS in peace by itself! Notice he's in the middle of the feeder. ;-)

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Brainerd, MN

The trees may not agree with you! It's very holy around here and I don't mean sacred!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

My goodness...you all have been busy today!

Deb & Linth- Thank you for the pics of the RCK...I've never seen one but will be on the lookout for one.

Adel-LOL..as usual!

behop-Sweet story...great pics.

Marilyn-You've been busy, thanks for the great pics.

Sybil- I love your PWP!! I walked by my neighbors apple tree yesterday and I think I know where my PWP is hanging out...that tree had the biggest holes I've ever seen!!

Klamath River, CA

Had a couple of photo ops on the way to town this morning.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

+

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

++

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

+++

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

and

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics adel!

That +++ pic is very good!!!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Gee whiz sybil! That is some fancy camera shootin there with the PileatedWP. Wonderful shot!

bebop, how amazing the Grouse sitting on your leg, lol! Like you I am concerned for birds that are so friendly. Their fear of humans is exactly what will save their life. Every once and a while we get a little glimpse of what a perfect world might be like...
When I nursed the little dove that lost it's tree to a big split a couple months ago, it was hard not to treat it like it was tame, but I had to resist if it were to get along with the other wild birds. I have to say it is awe-some to get that close for a few days or minutes. I'm glad you got a picture to remember it and share.

adel your post: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=4280751 LOL! Sweet ++++ pics too!

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Marilyn, I love how you get the antics of the birds in action.
Sybil, what wonderful photos of the pileated. I almost never see them, just hear them hammering.
Adel, amazing shots.
I got this cardinal this morning sitting on icy branches, about to make his move to the feeders below.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Marilyn WOW you sure have a lot of feeders! Neat pics, and captions. Love the HF in flight:-)

Great one of the Cardinal bebop!
:-)debnes

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I know this is not a good pic (really bad actually) but do you think it is a Carolina Wren?

Thanks, Rose

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

RBW on a black walnut tree!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Downy WP on same walnut tree...notice the ice!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

RBW and treat bell.

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics dellrose! Yes thats a Carolina Wren. :-)

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you Pelle! I have been watching this little bird for the past week and this was taken thru the window. I am so thrilled to have this visit and hope I can get some good pics!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

This guy is playing hard to get!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

My first female Cardinal finally stopped long enuf to snap this pic. Ain't she purdy?

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

WBN with Boss!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Nice catch of the Nuthatch!

Klamath River, CA

bebop2..........great pic of the Cardinal in the branches.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I love these big lugs!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56

I love my jays too..........oh all right, I love them all!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

#2 I love daves but I sure wish you could put more than 1 pic in a post!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Danvers, MA

Love the Cardinal pics Bebop & dellrose.
And the crow and Jay pics Nanny.
Debnes, the Wren in your pic looks like he has his leg folded up, I wonder if something happened to it's foot? :( ...And I've never seen the crowned kinglets before! How cute!

I'm going to have to quit my job to keep up with all the posts! All the pics are great!

~Shan

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I hear ya shan, and thanks... It very well could be folded up, but my guess the wee thing has a gimp and doesn't use the leg much.
Nice pics nanny and rose!! (Yep I'm thinking carolina too rose.)

Last winter I had two different wrens. The cwren and this little guy that has moved south and west called bewick's wren. http://www.theletteroflove.com/photography/wp-content/photos/bwren2.JPG
Where once they were more populous in the east mainly in the Appalachians, only a few colonies remain there. They were edged out by house wrens and sparrows taking over their nests. :-O.

Still on the look for them as it turns colder. They could use a lot more conservation measures at this point by us here in the south, before they move on from here too. Bewick's are now technically on the endangered list.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/Birdscope/Summer2001/Bewicks.html
http://www.audubonathome.org/birdstohelp/pdf/Bewicks_Wren.pdf
In these sites, particularly the second one, there are suggested measures we can take, however the primary measure is recognition. They are often glanced over as a carolina wren before people even know they had them at all.

Another something somethin' to look out for :-)

debnes

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

At first light yesterday, I brought in the peanut silo and refilled it with chopped peanuts and BOSS. It took no time at all to be discovered when I put it back out on the plum tree. The RbN claimed ownership, and while nearby they would tolerate no others. They are really gutsy little birds, even chasing away the Stellers Jays. LOL

Sure wish I could see that area from the house. It was so cold I could only spend a few minutes before my hands would get numb, so I made numerous trips during the day.

The Mountain Chickadee would wait patiently for the RbN to depart, and one of them seemed to be attempting to store peanut pieces within the bark of the nearby apple tree.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Here's one of the RbN on the silo.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

I'd not seen the Mtn. Dee at the suet before yesterday.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Resourceful and cunning little dee you have there. Maybe it would be easier to do with bigger peanut pieces, but he/she's a very hard worker. Cute how it waits for RbN to clear out :-)
Great observations tiger. Still looking for RbN here.

debnes

RBW at the tube feeder.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Some Tufted Titmouse.....these are the cuties, along with all the Wp's, that sucked me into really watching birds last winter when we moved here in January.

Guess you might like the photo, huh??

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.