Daily Pics Vol. 39

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Continued from: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/796142/

Greetings & Welcome All Birders!
The season is picking up as birds of all sizes and shapes prepare themselves for winter in the Northern Hemisphere. A few of the usual I have expected are arriving again. Still a few more not accounted for as of yet.

We had several Ruby-crowned Kinglets last winter and hoping to see them again soon. It is one of the tiniest birds in NA besides the hummingbird. Be on the lookout on all paths from Canada to the southern states. Hopefully some will arrive here in Texas by January. They like small insects, suet, sap and sugar water (from a trough or wide holes on the feeder).

Here is a little mug shot from last year.. this one was closer to 3". They have fast dipping twisting flight and sometimes hover around branches with sap or tiny bugs. They make a very distinct and loud jdit jdit jdit sound. I sure hope some of you manage to see them this year! Even if they are only passing through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby-crowned_Kinglet

Enjoy your birds wherever you are!!

debnes

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 7:05 AM

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Marlton, NJ

Lovely photo debnes!!!

Thanks for starting the new thread!

Nanny, Very nice pics in the last thread!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! & Your very welcome pelle!

Shes right nanny~ You're outdoing yourself!

Hebron, KY

Debnes,

Nice pic of that little Carolina Wren with one foot. I love this little sweetie too! So adorable! Puts a big smile on my face every time I see him/her!

Nanny,

Nice pic of the Downy! Cute shot! That Downy is so adorable! Where did you get that feeder at? Nice shots of the Cardinals

Marilyn

(these comments were from photos on the last thread of daily pics)

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 8:23 AM

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 4:59 PM

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Debnes, what a lovely little bird. I've never seen a kinglet around here. Thanks for sharing.

Klamath River, CA

Hey!!!!............You going to sit on your DUFF in that warm house all day, or are you going to bring us some food?

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

debnes, that little guy is facinating!!

Oh you guys are being way to kind!!! But honestly over the last year before I had any kind of decent camera, I was here every day and a couple other sites looking at the photographs of birds and trying to learn as much as I could about photographing them. And that we happened to move to an place that offers them up to me daily was a bonus!!

Marilynbeth, that is from WBU. It is the one made from recycled milk jugs.

Great shot adel! but it does remind me I need to get off here and go refill the feeders.... will be back later. At least I got my painting done...for now.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 3:31 PM

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

debnes, nice photo of the Ruby-crowned Kinglet. They are extremely difficult to photograph because as you mentioned they fly from place to place so quickly and seldom sit for more than a few seconds. I find it to be a pleasant challenge to photograph them and have spent 30-40 minutes at one time trying to capture them with the crown showing.

I probably posted this photo in the past but it is the best that I have been able to get to date with the ruby crown on display. All of my others just show a very small ruby colored patch. It's possible that I used the flash on this photo. They were close enough for a flash.

Actually, the same challenge exists for the Golden-crowned Kinglet.

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Thats a beauty Linth!

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Here is a ruffed grouse in the multiflora berries after our ice storm. This is not the greatest quality photo, it was pretty far away and I really cropped it to get the details. But I was pretty excited to get the shot!

Thumbnail by bebop2
Hebron, KY

Debnes and Linthicum,

Wonderful photos of that 'little precious jewel', the Ruby-crowned Kinglet!

I've never seen one (or, the Golden-crowned Kinglet) in my life, except for photos. What a thrill to be able to see either one!

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Bebob,

What a sweet, adorable and beautiful bird! Great shot! ;-)

We never see any of them around here and I've never seen any in my life while birdwatching. What do you feed them?

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

Nice shot bebop!

Hebron, KY

I took this earlier today of a male Downy eating the C&S brand Woodpecker Treat suet cake (on both side of this feeder). This is a Stokes brand feeder and it seems 'just right' for him for holding on and propping his tail while eating!

Marilyn

These photos were taken inside, so they may not be the best quality.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 5:28 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Marilyn, we don't feed them at all. They really aren't feeder birds. They mostly hang out in the evergreens, fruit trees (a partridge in a pear tree), or any berry bush. They love high bush cranberries and multiflora rose hips. A few years ago there was a very tame one who followed us around clucking at us. But that is rare. Usually, they are very shy and take off with a huge ruffling noise of their wings when they are startled. I have a picture somewhere, pre-digital camera, of the tame one (we called him Grousey) sitting on my lap. If I can find it I'll scan it. It is pretty amazing.

Hebron, KY

Here's a closeup shot. He really is eating the suet on the side of the feeder, although it may not look like he is (there's mixed seed in the middle of the feeder).

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Bebop,

I feed birds on the ground, as well as, in feeders, so I thought you feed them corn or such.

It sounds wonderful that you had one clucking (is that what they teally sound like?!), following you around and even sitting on your lap!

Marilyn

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you for posting your picture of RCK Charles! I remembered it, and really hoped you would post to show everyone. Maybe folks in there who see it will keep a lookout and see one in person.
They do look a lot like the GCK, but there are enough differences where you can tell without the crown raised. Thy are a very friendly/fearless little bird.. Maybe because they know their own quickness. I've had them come down close in the tree as if to "watch" me, lol. Yep some of my birds are evidently People Watchers.. Wonder if they have a forum somewhere or other, in the wind, lol!

Here's my little one footed carolina wren today, it's so overcast.. My camera said "raise flash". This is what I got, with a little glare from the window.

debnes

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

bebop the ruffled grouse is a perfect pic. bellisimo!!

Marilyn love the downey! Very nice shots!

Hebron, KY

Adel,

Great pic! Funny comment too! LOL

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

He certainly looks to be doing okay even w/ just one leg and foot.
Nice pic debnes; I love the CW's.

Hebron, KY

Debnes,

Love your Carolina Wren photo! He's as cute as can be!

I hold my hand over the flash if I don't want it to come up.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Here's a Downy that was getting some peanuts yesterday.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Here is Grousey (and me while I still had dark hair--I've since let it go gray). Actually, we were leaving corn for him when he was around.

Thumbnail by bebop2
Hebron, KY

Bebop,

He's so adorable and precious! I just love him! What a exciting and thrilling experience for you!

Thank you for finding that photo and sharing it!

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Bebop,

I meant to ask, were you talking to him in that pic? How sweet he is!

Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, I always talked to him. Notice I had my face partially covered though. That beak and those claws were pretty large and I was afraid he would try to give me a kiss! I was really sad when he disappeared. I hope no one shot him. Grouse are considered fair game around here and he was just tame enough to walk up to someone with a gun.

Hebron, KY

Two GF's on the copper top feeder and a male Downy eating Woodpecker Treat suet yesterday. It was a rainy day, so I took these inside.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics marilyn!

bebop that is a cute pic! Thanks for posting it!

Hebron, KY

Bebop,

Thanks for sharing your story! I hope someone didn't shoot him, esp. since he was so tame. :-(

I just love looking at that last pic of him! What a sweetheart! He thought he might try and give you a kiss?! ;-)

I hate that Bobwhites, Quail, Grouse are hunted. They're all so cute! ;-)

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Thanks Pelle! ;-)

Marilyn

This message was edited Dec 10, 2007 6:14 PM

Hebron, KY

Here's a Titmouse on a BOSS feeder I took yesterday (taken thru window).

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Pelle,

I've had GF's on this feeder with the '50 - 50' of Sunflower chips and Thistle, but every time they're on, I don't have the camera!

Here's what it looks like in the feeder.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

I got the male House Finch in motion today and I thought it looked neat!

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

A grouping of House Finches, one on the feeder post looking down, one on the feeder wire looking down and 5 on the hanging platform of BOSS.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Here's a GF and a Dee eating mixed seed and a reddish brown squirrel running below.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

More Finches having a BOSS lunch on two feeders while a male House Finch look down at one of the feeders. GF on a feeder post.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Brainerd, MN

Great photos everyone!

A real treat for me this morning - both male and female Pileateds were in the yard at the same time - they eventually landed on this tree together.

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Brainerd, MN

Yesterday I posted the lovely female closeup somewhere in this forum. Today I got a nice close up of the male.

Thumbnail by original_sybil
Hebron, KY

One of the pics I took today of the male Downy getting the Woodpecker Treat suet cake on the other side of the feeder.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.