My "Joking" Joker last fall

Ewing, VA

I just read raydio stating "Amaryllis are great in fall" in one of his threads about Limona. They are and I was blessed to have some fall bloomers too. One of them was Joker. As I rarely get fall blooms from my ammies, I was so eager to take pics of it. Early spring of 2007, Joker as a newly puchased bulb bloomed like this.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

This fall, it's bloom opened up like this...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And after a few days...

Thumbnail by mariava7
Ewing, VA

And finally to this...

It was a good one!

Thanks for looking.

Thumbnail by mariava7
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wow that one is beautiful.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Love how the color changes. Mmmmmm..

R.

That's interesting. Does anyone know what conditions would cause the change in color over time? That is, which element of the conditions, if they are the cause at all.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Love how it changed all those different colors! That is a really beautiful plant!

andidandi~

Your question is thought-provoking. Thanx!

Hopefully a botanist will step in and tell us about the processes of pigmentation, boiling down all the many web-reports I'm looking at, into a simpler form.

On the simplest level, the "blush" colors seem to be affected most by light and heat, and in observation, light having more influence, it seems to me. I haven't been able to subject my plants to summer intensity light while keeping them cool, but with heat and light combined, the process is clearly speeded up and the colors more intense all along.

The process is so fast with heat and light combined, that if my 'Elvas' wants to bloom when it's hot, I'm taking it in! The beautiful contrast between the white and rose passes far too quickly.

But---there are those colorations that seem to develop in cooler temps in some flowers and are not seen when it gets too hot. What about that???? I hear people saying that their hippis have better color in cooler rooms...

R.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2007 4:43 PM

Interesting. Thanks Raydio.

andidandi~

Found this on one page:
"Light and temperature can also affect flower color. Bright light and cool temperatures during flower development can make blooms more vibrant."

And this about the future of color availability in flowers:
"Genetic engineering can be used to create novel flower colors. So foreign flower colors can now be easily introduced into most species," says flower pigment expert Robert J. Griesbach. ...Once the biochemistry of flower color is known for a specific plant, it will be possible to create an infinite range of custom-colored flowers using genetic engineering," he says. "The drawback is the cost of doing the chemical analysis necessary to create novel plants like blue roses."

What won't they think of next?

R.

Thanks. I will have to take more photos and catalog them to watch the effect.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.