growing roses from cuttings?

melbourne, Australia

how do you grow roses from cuttings? i have seen three gorgeous wild roses along the road blooming like mad today. would love to try and grow them here as they obviously can survive on rainfall alone and thrive. i assume they are climbing roses too as they are just covering the fences along the road and are everywhere. just lovely.

shelly

Merino, Australia

Hello Shelly
Forget those "pretty" roses along the road. They are usually a briar type and you will never get rid of them if you want to put in real roses.
I can send you lots of cuttings of roses during the late Autumn / Winter. which is the best time to take cuttings.
I simply put them in a pot of washed river sand or even a corner of the garden somewhere in a clump. Leave them there until they are at least a year old then put them where you want them. If you see nice roses in someone's garden, ask for a piece at least 8" / 10" long and try it during Summer. They will quite often take root.
We have lots of the wild roses down here too . They are pretty but need to stay outside your garden.
Pic is of some of my roses but hubby took it and it's not a really good one. I have over 100 here.
Have a happy day. Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Your garden must be a real picture jean! Good luck with the roses Shelly. The only ones I've had success with is root stock. LOL. Maybe I should try some grafting?
Sue

melbourne, Australia

thanks for the advice jean. i am so glad i found this site. i will take your advice and get some cuttings from friends roses and give it a shot... worth a try :)

thanks again,

shelly

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hi Guys,

I am going to do a cutting today and put it in the sand, but what I did want to know was do you have the sand wet????

Thanks Everyone,

Debi (Degarotty)

I expect you might just keep the water to the top os sand, not over it.

This may help ...
http://scvrs.homestead.com/Cuttings1.html

or this ...Peter alwaysknows these things :)
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1686626.htm

Sydney, Australia

Just got a rose cutting to take. First time ever.
Cecille brunner. As Chrissy says - 8-10 in long. Straight cutting - no side shoots.
Looking good at this stage. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.