Winters here!But having Spring Memories!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Freezing rain today!
Ice storm maybe tomorrow,depending on the way the front swings!!!

But you have time check spring pics!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/11524743@N07/

Thumbnail by Tropicman
TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Goodness! I'm pretty sure Randy Newman has been to your jungle!
I know I am not supposed to covet, but Lord I can't help it!!
Is that a pawlonia tree standing next to the basket of epip/cereus? I can't believe how beautiful the rice paper plant's leaves are! Then you took me back to childhood memories with the Travelers' Palm...oh my...yes I covet that too!
Don, you have an amazing array of tropicals, from the known to the obscure, no...I would say truly exotic. How many hours per day do you put into your passion?
I am totally blown away. Dear Lord, I'm redoing my Christmas list..

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL!
Not since he moved back home to North Carolina!!!!

I wish I had a empress tree,never could get a seed to germinate!
I think it's a sunflower!!!
Thanks here's another photo album.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l302/dbrya1/

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Gee whiz Tman!! I had forgotten just what your garden looks like. Looks like it would take our whole team of gardeners where I work to do all that work.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hey Bring them down this coming April,will feed them breakfast lunch and supper!
Might get done in one day what takes a couple weeks!!!LOL

Red Oak, TX

I enjoyed your pictures Tropicman, awesome garden, my kind of gardening. Thanks for sharing.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Welcome
Hope it might make some of the people here having bad weather,things to look forward to this spring!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous as always!!!!! How you keep up with it is a pure wonder!!!!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,
Wonder myself sometimes!!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Absolutely wonderful to look at Don, on this cold winter's night! We are supposed to get some of that freezing rain too, tomorrow night.
Wake me up when spring gets here!!

Freezing drizzle, freezing rain, sleet, and possibly snow this weekend. YUCK!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I'm sure Dave will wake you for breakfast!!!!! LOL!!!!

I double no triple that YUCK!!!!!!!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Wonderful tour Don - I really cannot fathom how you do it! Hear you are in for some nasty weather through the mid west, keep safe and keep indoors!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks you can count on that to cold out there for me!!!

TM, question on growing pineapple indoors on a new thread, can you help?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well I have a couple growing indoors in the greenhouse,a green one and a red one,I treat them as a brome,soil dry with water in the cup,during the winter time and keep soil moist during the summer,what else do you need to know?

Not me - I just pick them up at the farmers market! Kapr has a thread and needs info, he/she is trying to grow one in MN. Thought I would come to the guru of Tropicals in the frozen north!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL! Lucky you !!!
Okay will give it a look into!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Don!!!! Been missing ya, so thought I'd drop by just to say Howdy! Staying warm I hope?

Happy Holidays, my friend!
Shari

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hi Shari,yes having a heat wave here 35*,hey thats above freezing,so I think I'll take my gloves off,makes it easier to type!!!LOL

That's not a heat wave! 47* is a heat wave. lol

Spring memories ...Sunshine! I think it was a yellow round thing in the sky! ...oh and speaking of sky I think it used to be blue instead of grey/white ...who would have thought it "white christmas down under" lol
stay warm every one ...I have very fond memories of your beautiful garden TM, it is just lovely in the greenhouse too.
chrissy

South Venice, FL(Zone 9b)

TM, absolutely lovely garden, thanks for sharing. Do you ever sleep? Wow, wow, wow!
Cathy

Uh Oh Earthquake 6.8 in New Zealand last night ...a bit scary, did I mention that the ants seem to have gone to ground ...always a sign that something is up,normally at this time of the year we are fending off great hordes of ants ..I have not had even one ant trying to get in for a few days ...now that makes me a little nervous.
It is only 70F here Friday morning ...21st Dec ...once again grey sky and drizzle (is it possible the ants have drowned?).
Strange days indeed!
stay warm and dry everyone
chrissy

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

What's the damage in NZ, Chrissy?
That reminds me of the elephants and monkeys in Thailand lumbering towards higher grounds pre- Tsunami. Yes, God gives them better survival intuitions than us when forces of nature strikes.
You take care too, Chrissy.

1 death (poor old lady had a heart attack ) ...the news is just coming through ...historic buildings destroyed luckily no more than i death ...we had a milder one 5.something one christmas and lost about 13 people so it is almost a miracle, New Zealand is not far from us perhaps the ants knew, it is very spooky to find no ants ...never seen that in my whole life!
Kind of waiting for something to happen really ...I will see if they come out now.Thank h ...kinda makes you wonder what is going on at the moment,the critters know way before we do.
chrissy

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks again Chrissy. I have a gf living in Christchurch. Is it around that area? Anyway, I have emailed her and hoping for a response.

I think they said the North Island ...no doubt she will tell you more ...I hope she is ok the people on the news say all their stuff flew out of cupboards and there is a lot of breakage ...biggest thing is the fright ...no warning. Still new news here.
chrissy

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

So, let's hope that is all the missing ants signify! But out here anyway, they are usually MIA during lots of rain. That is one of the few benefits to our downpours...the ants take holiday!

Greenhouse is (of course) gorgeous Don! Sending warm and comforting thoughts to you and Pepper! Cuddle up youse guys! (Wait! Not with each other!!!)

Hope all are recovering in NZ.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks Cathy,yep about 4 hours a nite!!!!
When I was young,I read you sleep a third of your life away,well I though,I'd just sleep a quarter of mine!!!LOL
Insects and animals has a 7th sense,and can actually feel the ground,way early before it as actually happening!!! Kniw a few women like that too!!!LOL Just kidding!!!!

Hey when it comes to staying warm,I'll cuddle with the devil herself!!!! To keep warm!!!
You have to admit the Elizabeth Hurley made a grand looking Devil in that movie,Bedazzle!!!!
Pepper 50* now,and 56* before the snow gets here,saying blowing snow and about 3 inches of the white stuff here!

Same here except 58* is what I am hearing. I will be sweating tomorrow!! lol. Then we get the big plunge with the 3 inches also. I'm not complaining cause we have needed this kind of a winter for a long time. The plants benefit big time from all this.

TM, you are funny, I like your arithmetic! I'd sure get a lot more done if I could survive on 4 hours a night!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Lurking.

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Lurking right behind Christi!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Not me!!! Hahaha!!! I am behind Jaye!!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Only I am done lurking for the night. Off to bed here. Have a restful night everyone. Night!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Hmmm Marcia your going to bed before 10:00????

Cathy,math was always my best subject!!!!LOL

LouC,I watch a show today about a river or lake 60 miles southeast of Dallas I believe they called it the Tennic River,where they noodle big catfish by hand up to 60lbs!
Now thats what I call fishing!!!! This show was called monster quest,where they were catching catfish from all over the world,one in Thailand that 12 ft and 652 lbs,now this is fresh water lake,it knock a little boy out of the boat,well I think you can guess the rest,it is just so hard to imagine something like that happening!
Well anyway they were catching alligator gar,there weighing 79lbs,I know I got some big ones at Toleda Bend,back in 1960on the border of Texas and Louisana,about 2 ft long,got that sucker in the boat so I could get the hook out of his mouth,and he went wild trying to bite me,I had to pry his mouth open and take pliers down his throat to get the hook undone,some of the guys said just cut the line are you crazy!!!!
I remember the look in my dads eyes,I don't know if he was proud of me,or he was to drunk to say anything!!!LOL

TabacVille, NC(Zone 7a)

Morning All..Rainyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy......and cold!
Tman, I used to camp at Toleda Bend. Love garfish, especially made into boulettes (balls). Yeah, why didn't you just cut off the line? Did you frame that hook?
There was a catfish caught at the Basin, in SWLa. that had weighed more than 200 pounds a few years back. I had always wondered what type of predator it had become! I bet baby alligators was part of its' feast! A 650 pound???
Well...off to that four letter word again. Stay warm y'all!

Morning Jaye, we actually got rain here this morning too, finally! We have been SO dry. I woke up to a strange sound, realized it was rain, went right back to sleep!
TM, my favorite fish is catfish, or Cath-fish as my DH calls it, but I cannot even imagine 650 lbs, WOW!
Cathy

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Not familiar with the Tennic river. Could it have been The Trinity? Whatever, I don't eat wild caught catfish...only farm grown. In these parts the best fish to eat is crappe and it is only wild so you have to work to catch it.

Good morning, everyone. Sun is out and the garden needs lots of work. Tman you would cry if you could see all of my freeze dried tropicals. I don't panic like I used to because I know they are root hardy and will come back. Sure makes a terrible sight right now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.