Old leather belts

Beaumont, TX

Several years ago I got the big ol' leather chair and ottoman at the Salvation Army. I really only wanted the chair but they were a set. The chair was in really nice shape but the ottoman was pretty tore up all on the bottom. I covered that up with an old leather coat and some tacks and it didn't look too bad. Neither had feet and sat on the floor. The other day in the Goodwill store there were 8 feet ! So I snatched those up and installed them. Well they both looked much better with feet but then my re-upholstery job really looked pretty bad since the old coat I'd used was more of a maroon color and it's been years and was time for an update. Maybe I just noticed more because I was looking at the new feet. So I decided to start looking for a coat of either a closer color or completely different to redo the bottom... but then I changed my mind. I though why not use old belts? They're only 99 cents at GW, some days 50 cents and they have TONS of leather belts. Really nice ones but naturally they are never my size. Well it made no difference if they were a small, medium or large. I also had a half dozen of my own I never wear any more. My goal was to coordinate the sofa, which is more of a rust leather with the chair and ottoman which has a lot more red in it. I started collecting belts.
I think it turned out pretty snazzy.*inserting a grin here* I'd expect to see a way out of my range price tag if I saw it in Dillards. I also added a row of belts to the bottom of the chair so it "goes with" the newly refurbished ottoman now. I threw a sofa pillow on top so you can see the difference in the sofa and the ottoman.
It took 18 belts. Three for each row. 12 bucks for a makeover. :)

Thumbnail by maidentheshade
This thread has 54 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!