Help for new memorial garden

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Hi all, I am hoping to get some help on starting a new memorial garden for our neighbor/friend that passed away last week. Her name was Shirley, so I am looking for plants with her name in it. I am also wanting to include her husband and son that passed before her. Her husbands name was Charles-went by Chuck, her Son's name was Louis-went by Scott. Any assistance with getting items for my memorial garden is greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Misty

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I will try looking around tomorrow if I get a chance.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks pepper, I really appreciate it! :)

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

Misty, that is such a nice way to remember your friend. c

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

thanks cat, but I am not having any luck with finding anything to get me started yet. :(

Misty, it might be the time of year, maybe ask again after the new year? So many people are just swamped right now, they can't add anything else to their list of things to do, and it sure is the wrong time of year for digging in most of the country. C

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Ya, I kinda figured that, and wouldn't ya know that with all the seeds everyone has shared with me I don't have a one of these! I have spent several days just entering the info and none that came up with any of the names. Maybe there is something else I can work on getting for now. I need to find a neat planter, so maybe will post for ideas on that. We have some other family health issues going on as well, but trying to keep my mind occupied. Thanks again!

Misty~ will your memorial garden be an outdoors' garden? i visited an acquaintance who had an indoor garden memorial. Either way I recommend a garden sign and/ or bench painted with her favorite color, and you can paint little mementos on the sign that reflect favorite memories of them. For instance, if she loved collecting teapots, or drinking lemonade on a porch swing then that could be painted on the sign, etc. Sounds like a special family and what fun you will have with your memorial garden. Shirley poppies (papaver rhoeas) come to mind. You can sow them when it's snowing, where you want them to grow, and they will bloom late spring, early summer.

OOPS, I meant sign not swing, silly me, must go get another cup of coffee and wake up!! ;0)

This message was edited Dec 7, 2007 10:37 AM

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks garden6, that is a great idea. It will be an outside garden for all to enjoy. :)

Misty, I went to the plant file and put Shirley in the variety, nothing else. It pulled up a whole lot of items. You might want to try that if you haven't already. C

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

thanks cat, I will give that a try! :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

There is a beautiful lavender and white tulip called Shirley.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I love Tulips, too! :)

Running behind on this but I found 3 irises with Shirley in their names.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=iris&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Shirley&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Here are some lilies too with Shirley in them.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=lily&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Shirley&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Lilies with Chuck.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=lily&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Chuck&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Irises.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=iris&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Chuck&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 7:26 PM

Irises with Scott.

www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=iris&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Scott&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Lilies. www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=Lily&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Scott&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search&offset=0

Tulip that EvaMae mentioned. www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55651/

Hostas with Shirley. www.davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=hosta&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=Shirley&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

WOW Pepper, those are amazing!!!! Thank you so much! Now I will have to make me some notes on which ones I REALLY want and attempt to make a diagram on how to plant them! Those are totally awesome! Thank you, thank you!

No problem. I tried to look up daisies but PF didn't reconize that name. lol. I couldn't think of other hardy plants or I would have checked them out too. :~)

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

No, those are amazing and I think once I choose which ones I want that they will be a very nice mix of colors. I told DH I was gonna swipe his new wheel barrow, but he didn't like that idea! LOL I think I could get by with a Hosta if planted in the front of Iris and other larger plants?

If you already have shade there they will be alright. If you are trying to create shade from iris and lilies it won't work. Do you have room for a small tree like a redbud? You could plant something like that and it would provide light shade and the hosta should do fine unless it prefers deep shade.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I have some places where I already have some Hostas planted, but the ones I have under the Leyland Cypress were still getting too much sun, so I figure I will have to move those next Spring. I have pink turtlehead planted on either side of the garage doors, maybe putting a Hosta with those would work? It doesn't get a lot of sun. I have mostly sun, so I am limited on where I can plant for shade.

It should work near the turtlehead then.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Cool, then I will be on the lookout for the Hostas! Thanks so much again for all your help with this! I can't wait til I am actually able to make it!!!

Post pics when you do.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

I will be sure to do that!
I did get good news a bit ago, though! A friend of mine called and she just said, I'M PREGNANT! I was at a loss for words for a second! LOL

LOL!! Now you gotta find a plant for the new baby. hehehe

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh My! LOL
Well, if I do that I have to find one for their first child, too! LOL
I think I will buy the plants for her, though! LOL

Wait til you find out the baby's name and go from there. Or you can go by gender color. Blue or pink.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

That is a good idea. I know she needs blue now, so lets hope she will need a pink, too! :)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Several hosta do well in sun. June must have morning sun or it doesn't do well at all. Google for sun loving hosta or go to a big hosta grower and ask for ones that due well in sun. I know I have a couple but don't remember the names right now. Maybe Fried Green Tomato?

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 9:04 PM

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

shirley poppies? http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/annuals/poppy_shirley.html

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

as far as her husband charles and son louis, there are ton of roses with those names.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php?searchNmTyp=1&searchNm=charles&tab=1

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses.php?searchNmTyp=1&searchNm=louis&tab=1

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Len! I will try to look at this more later, but right now we are having Puppies! Such an excitement! :) Thanks so much, though! :)

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

just before the big snow! figures. have fun with the puppies!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Good thing they are inside dogs! But I shoulda thought of that with the big snow coming being the time she might have them, if it even comes. :) I guess she is done with only two.

The snow is coming. lol. Congrats on the new puppies!!

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I hope we do get some, been so long since we have actually seen snow here, just been ice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.