Cannas in Texas

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

I found this awesome Canna grower in Cedar Park, TX. That is near Austin. I found her on Craigslist. I can't reccoment her enough. It's not a commerical nursery, just a business she is doing on her own. She is a little hard to understand, but her name is Heidi. She only has perennials and her yard is amazing. Every plant I've purchased from her is incredibly healthy, it is SO WORTH the trip!! This is her ad from Craigslist:

Crinums, Day Lillies, Iris', Cannas, 5 gallon plants - $5

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-499393565@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-12-05, 9:10AM CST

Crinums, Day Lillies, Iris', Cannas, 5 gallon plants are all $5.00 each.

phone 512-581-1450

901 HWY 21 West Cedar Creek TX 78612

Mention this ad and receive 2 free roots. Bring flower pots and buckets and receive a discount.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

love, are her cannas named varieties?

Bryan, TX(Zone 8b)

I think so. I bought a stunning one she called a Princess Dianna. My mom bought several different ones, all different colors.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Cedar Creek and Cedar Park are on opposite sides of Austin. I live near Cedar Park and have often seen her ad on Craig's List, but have considered her location to be way too far to go. Several times in the past, I have seen similar ads, and have been extremely disappointed in the offerings.

However, since you have so highly recommended it, I will check her out and pass on my experience.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks lily.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well, I visited this lady yesterday in the cold (35 degrees) and rain. Pretty much everything was brown and wilted from the hard freeze a few nights ago, but what an incredible set-up and selection!

Most of the pots are spray painted with a code that indicates the name/color, so few were tagged with the specific names. Perhaps this was just because she just potted them up this weekend and has not had time to tag them yet, I do not know.

I just told her that I had $70 to spend, and what colors I liked. She pretty much filled up the entire back of my SUV with day lillies, crinums and cannas. What an unbelievable deal!

Since I was not interested in having more pots to dispose of, she went through a bunch of pots and dug out the recently planted bulbs with her bare hands in that nearly freezing rain. What a woman!

She gives great discounts if you have pots, compost, or mulch to trade as well. Since we have our own chipper/shredder, we are going to take her some fresh mulch next time.

Yes, it is a bit of a drive, but very worth it, even in the cold and rain. I can hardly wait to see her place in the spring!

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

lily, were the canna named varieties?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Mamajack,

They were named varieties, but as I said, they were not individually tagged. She seemed to know the names of nearly everything that she had. I really do not care about the names, just the colors (my husband is red-green color blind, so yellow, orange and red are not good colors for our garden).

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

well i already have a ton of cannas so i would need to know what they are to know whether or not i already had it. lol. does she have an email address that you know?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Go to Craig's List for Austin, and do a search on cannas in the farm and garden section. That should get you a long list of her posts. Her ad will list her address, phone number and a way to respond to the ad via e-mail.

Good luck.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.