cannas in a container?

Lick Creek, IL(Zone 6b)

Right up front I'll tell you I'm ignorant about this. That said, I'm wondering if I can plant canna rhizomesin in pots in my sunroom and have them grow. I was given several recently. Last year when I stored some, they dried out and didn't grow when I planted them. I had them in an open cardboard box in a cool mudroom. I don't want to lose them so I thought about planting some in pots and trying to store the rest. If this question has been answered too many times before could someone direct me to the right thread please. Is there a sticky anywhere that has the FAQ's usually posted by idiots? Sure would be handy, then folks wouldn't have to be bothered. Anyway, Thanks, Steve.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I do love "stickys" but I will say that might be hard to do for canna, so many people in so many different climates can grow them in so many different ways. Overwintering would be a great sticky though with maybe a poll of how far north they have overiwntered in the ground. That's a question that gets asked tons!

A sunroom Steve? So, there would be plenty of sun? No reason why you can't do this. Are we talking plants already growing or already dormant plants? If they're already dormant, you'd be doing them (and yourself) a favor by supplying their bottoms with some heat to get htem jump started- some warmth to wake them up.

Lick Creek, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks for a quick reply. They're rhizomes with just a bit of the green stock showing where they were cut off. Usually I can over winter them just by cutting back and mulching but these I can't really stick in the ground now cause I'm redoing a bunch of my growing areas next spring. I thought they'd be great folage in the sunroom as I try to beat the winter dreariness. My sun room is 10x20 and I also have grow lights to help out. How about setting the pots on an old heating pad...would that work?

Thumbnail by yarapa
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think the heat pad should be great!

Lick Creek, IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks I'll put it there tonight. Steve

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.