Companion plantings for Bamboo

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

Hi,

I am looking for companion planting selections for a couple of areas in my yard that have bamboo
1) Bamboo Muhly ( 3-4 ft tall) - area size 4 x 15 - full sun
2) Bamboo "Golden Goddess" ( 5- 6 ft tall)- area size 4 x 10 - full sun/partial sun

I do not even have an idea how to go about matching plants to go with these.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks,
xman

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

I found this online for you.

Carol

Bamboo looks best when not crowded by big bushy plants.
Try its statuesque beauty amidst a dense mass of mixed Silvery Sunproof Lilyturf (Liriope muscari `Silvery Sunproof`) and Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon japonicus).
A natural against a background of Leatherleaf Mahonia (Mahonia japonica `Bealei`) combined with the lavender George L.
Taber Southern Indian Azalea (Azalea Southern Indian `George L.
Taber`), Dwarf Mugo Pine (Pinus mugo pumilio) and the cobalt-blue Bennerup Blue Siberian Iris (Iris sibirica Bennerup Blue).

Plano, TX(Zone 7a)

thank you Carol. I will definitely try some of your suggestions.

xman

Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

You're welcome. Sorry that I couldn't find more info.

Carol

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

The first bamboo you mentioned I couldn't find other than a grass. On the second bamboo I'd keep the planting as simple as possible and only accompany the bamboo with logs, statues and groundcover. We use Hostas, Japanese Painted Ferns and other ferns but I think the best is Irish Moss or Selaginella covering the ground. You only occasionally have to use the blower to get rid of the fallen bamboo leaves. I've seen our native Mahonia nervosa used effectively with bamboo because it is low growing and does well with the dry soils around bamboo roots with shade. I've also liked Arum italicum, Melianthus major, Fatsia japonica, Aucuba japonica working well with bamboo.

Thumbnail by growin
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Bamboo muhly isn't a bamboo, it's just a regular grass (Muhlenbergia dumosa).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.