Seed Harvest

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

I have my datura in a pot.I brought it indoors a couple of months ago.The reason I brought it in is I wanted to get the seeds off of the plant.The seeds were not mature enough to harvest.I put the plant in south window.All the leaves have fallen off the plant.The seed pods are still green and have showed no signs of splitting.I haven't decided if I'm going to over-wintered the plant or not.I really just wanted the seeds.I was planning on starting the seeds indoors in January.Are these seed pods ever going to be ready to harvest? There has to be a drying out time,right? Your comments,please.Edge

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Let the soil get a bit on the dry side and put something like a piece of panty hose around the seed pod so if it dries too fast and explodes you won't have seed everywhere. If the pod is still green it's still ripening .. check it carefully .. sometimes it is hard to see the split.

How old is the seed pod?

X

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

X,the seed pods are at least a couple of months old.I have been watering the plant about every 5 days.There are 4 pods about the size of golf balls.Should I stop watering?Thanks, Edge

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They sound like they are ready ... don't stop watering but just keep the soil barely moist .. that should also encourage it to ripen .. keep an eagle eye out for a split .. once it has done that you can cut off the pod and discard the plant .. here is a web page that has a picture of what a beginning split looks like.

http://www.xeramtheum.com/Daturaseeds.htm

X

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.