small size cantelope

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I've searched all over and can't find where I read about a cantelope that is smaller in size when ripe, more of a 1 or two person serving. Has anyone grown this or know the variety? Thanks, C4

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

There is an article scheduled about growing these as container plants.

Thanks, maybe that's where I saw it, in progress. Can't wait to read it, I have them on the list for spring.

Saint James, MO(Zone 6b)

That sounds cool to be able to have them as container plants, cause I love cantaloupe! :)

Venice, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Cathy4;There are several varieties that are small. Minnesota Midget is one,so is Bit of Honey.The first is easy to find http://www.skyfiregardenseeds.com/

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Charentais is supposed to have grapefruit-sized fruit that weighs 1-2 lbs. Delice de Table is a similar size. I haven't tried them yet but will be growing them next year. I did read about some old variety, I think it was Jenny Lind, that was described as being one serving size.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

Burpee has one called Honey Bun

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

There are quite a few small cantaloupes. Jenny Lind is not that small, but the variations of the old Netted Gem/Eden's Gem/Nutmeg are. Newer hybrids include the Sweetie, Serenade, Savor, Tasty Bites,

Helena, MT

Little late on this thread but these are four considerations I have come up with on cantalopes:

SEED SAVERS 2008 MINNESOTA MIDGET
SEED SAVERS 2008 EDEN'S GEM
JUNGS 2008 LITTLE SWEET HYBRID
JOHHNIE'S 2008 SWEET GRANITE

I recall reading somewhere that the smaller ones are not as sweet, but I'm stuck with a short growing season selection (max 120 days).

It's not too late, thanks for the information. It's about 5 degrees outside and snow is headed our way, I'm not planting anytime soon!

Helena, MT

Sorry Cathy, I didn't help much. I'm hoping to see some more feed back on subject. I have to make a choice by March 1st when I order seed, and I frankly have no idea yet which way to go.

morgan

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

You can try to get a head start by starting them inside.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is true that the ultra early cantalopes give up a lot of flavor. Small, however, does not necessarily mean less flavor. The Rocky Ford (85 day) version of the old netted Gem is pretty good. Sweetie (75 day Johnny's) can hold its own with any of them.

Henderson, KY(Zone 6a)

Back in the 70's when I went to school at Colorado State, we use to buy Rocky Ford melons at the road side stands for 4/ $1.00. I use to love them. But all of the seeds that I've seen for them were for a green fleshed, not the orange fleshed that I remember.

Helena, MT

LTilton...plan to do both for mellons, summer winter and pumpkins. This whole thing is completely experimental for me. Each mound will consist of both direct seed and a transplant. I have collected several pages of info from various DG threads so far on transplanting these three, and I plan to use one or more types of early covering as well. I spent over $200 on seed last year so I have also decided to go with heirloom short season seed where possible this year.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The green fleshed is an improved version of the old Netted Gem. The orange flesh version was called the Rocky Ford Pollock and was an improved version of the Pollock 10-25. I have not seen seed advetised since the 70's.

Helena, MT

Funny thing farmer, early on I had considered Johnny's Sweet Granite (70 days) and that's were I saw the 'swee with average flavor'...whatever that means. Apparently a Johnny's exclusve developed for cold climate. Are we talking the same thing here?
"An open-pollinated precursor to newer hybrids,..." What does this mean? Heirloom?

I looked for Rocky Ford based on name recognition, but I'm not seeing any listings in my catalogs.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If I remember correctly, Sweet Granite is an Alwyn Meader creation at the University of New Hampshire and released in 1966. Meader was noted for developing short season vegetables. It is supposed to be similar to one of its parents Delicious 51. It is open pollinated, but not an "heirloom" in the strict sense of the word. Another pretty but mediocre tasting ultra early is Alaska. I have not grown Sweet Granite so cannot comment on flavor. Johnny's descriptions are usually pretty accurate, unlike most companies where everything they sell is the greatest since sliced bread.

http://www.buntonseed.com/shopping/browse.php?cat=37 http://www.willhiteseed.com/products.php?cat=24&pg=2 Some companies like Baker Creek are supposedly selling the Rocky Ford version as Eden's Gem. The Rocky Ford is larger than the pre 1900 Netted Gem. A late season melon at 90 days.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Farmer; I ordered just three pkg of melon seed from Baker Creek. and they sent them already. They even threw in a free pac of wild flower seed. As far as being prompt, I couldn't ask for any better service.
Now if the germination rate is good, I'll be happy.
Russ
Oh and thanks for the info on where to order my sweet potato plants. I ordered from Steele 's

This message was edited Jan 25, 2008 8:33 PM

Helena, MT

Farmer says, "Sweetie (75 day Johnny's) can hold its own with any of them."

I'm not seeing this in my Johnny's catalog. Would really like to give it a try. There are however a number of good recommendations for small cantalopes in this thread, so whatever I pick will be far better than our supermarket selections. I have never found a single cantalope here that had any flavor and that goes for most all imported vegetables and fruits.

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

mraider3;

It is pathetic what they expect us to eat. I too have bought, a peach or nectarine, only to find it rotten on the inside. Melons with the skin shriveled from wilting, and they don't smell like melon. They smell more like a sack of moldy feed.
I guess that is why seed companies have a thriving business.
I would rather raise the wrong melon and have too many, than to try eat one of the tasteless ones from the store.
It gives satisfaction to raise something, and to share with others, who can no longer get out to garden, for themselves. Their complements and thanks are so rewarding.
For the fruit that won't keep or what I can't raise- - - -I improvise. I love the lowly sweet potato. It is packed with more vitamins A and C than most fruit. They can be made into a desert or even the main course of a meal but no they just can't imitate the taste of a good melon.
Good luck in your search for the perfect melon.
I would check some of the seed savers. I ordered some from Baker Creek. Will see if I am happy with the small ones I chose. Have fun!
Russ

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

You are right. Sweetie is no longer listed by Johnny's. They did carry two cultivars which they listed under "butterscotch" melons. Currently they list only Serenade, which they do compare to Sweetie. I have not grown Serenade, so can't comment on it. Seems to have a longer season than Sweetie. http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=1&subcategory=434&item=2443

Helena, MT

Perfect melon is probably in the eye of the beholder Russ, but the adivce given here is excellent. The thing I try to consider in any crop is to grow just what we can consume during the harvest season and look for a way to store surplus; or 'added value' like jams, tomato juice and sauces, etc.

We shun the fresh vegetable and fruit sections at the supermarkets for reasons you have mentioned Russ. I find it intersting that very few people purchasing these items are checking food like cantalopes for ripeness which is simple to do. Apathay and acceptance...just amaizes me how people just buy into this.

morgan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.