Cleaning Tack

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I just finished cleaning my saddle, girth, bridle, halter, spur straps, etc. and have to admit, even after following a two-step process of cleaning then conditioning, I'd have to rate this effort as only a 7 out of 10 on the Satisfaction Scale. Sure, the tack looks much much better now, but I did not go to extreme detail by using brushes, q-tips and other widgets to get into the seams or to get every last bit of grime off of the leather.

I was wondering what products, tools, or methods that others use to get their tack super clean and "sparkling." I tend to have two levels of tack cleaning -- Basic Maintenance -or- Showring Spectacular. Today, I simply performed Basic Maintenance.

I've pretty much tried most of the products on the market over the years, but I've been using the Belvoir line of cleaner & conditioner for tack for at least the past five years now. On my show boots, my leather repair guy turned me on to Bickmore (Bick 4).

Talk to me. What methods or products do you swear by?

This thread has 42 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!