Goat People: help me treat Buddy the pygmy

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Buddy, our ~12 yr old pygmy goat is ailing with a lame leg and some undefined respiratory problem. I asked the vet for oral meds because of prior bad experience with injectibles in goats. Now I ask DG goat folks for any input you might have for pastes, sauces, or mashes in which to tempt the goat to take a powdered oral medication. We worm them regularly with paste which is easy and acceptable to them.

I have read about melon,grapes, artichokes, and various veggies that could be pureed into a small palatable paste. They get de-worming paste monthly without any problem. Perhaps a more liquid drench of medication and _________ would get the job done? He's a very docile, older guy who certainly deserves a chance to remain the respected elder in the barn.

Have you any tricks/tips that can help us get oral meds into Buddy? They would be much appreciated. I do not want to lose another goat.

Thumbnail by Poochella
This thread has 20 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!