August 17

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Lovely day today, in the 70's. Sure could use some rain today. Meghan, tell me more about how your dad set his cold frame just on the ground. I am digging a hole for mine so that it gets warmer sooner in the spring. The directions say to make the hole 8 - 10 inches but I'm digging a little deeper because the dirt isn't real good and I plan on putting a lot of compost in it. In our zone 4-5, the ground stays cold until May unless we have an early spring.
I also have "biker chick" friends. One of my best friends is a quilting biker chick. She has one of those Gammill quilting machines and during the summer she goes biking with her hubby.
Switched the cows to another pasture yesterday. My neice was visiting and I conned her into helping although she is scared to death of cows. (And she's a farm girl to boot.) I did a 'wheelie' with the three-wheeler while herding the cows. It was kind of fun actually. Got the old adrenalin pumping. I just hit a bump that I didn't see and up went the front tire. My DS asked if I had to go to the bathroom after the herding was done because he saw the whole thing and thought it was pretty funny. Kids!
Will have to core and freeze tomatoes when I get home. The counter is covered. I freeze them until I have time to make salsa, which is in the dead of winter, but it sure warms up the house nicely. I also have a bucket of frozen mulberries and 4 bags of chokecherries waiting to get made into jelly. That is one of the nice things about winter. You have to stay in the house and make jelly or salsa.
I am praying for rain for Washington and thereabouts.!! Put out the fires!!
Ruth

This thread has 2 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!