Spring Round Up Let's Chat about It!

Donna in Douglas, GA(Zone 8b)

Mark your calender!!

April 19, 2008
Round Up in Douglas, Ga.

Who's interest in coming?

Please feel free to share your comments, I'm all ears!

Donna

This message was edited Dec 27, 2007 12:22 AM

Blackshear, GA

Hi Donna,
Haven't talked to you in a while, hope everything is going good with you. I will definately be there and if you need help just let me know. Basically its just a plant swap right? I will have tons of things by spring. I have been taking cuttings of everything I have. Keep me informed. Thanks
Paula
Look at this gorgeous thing blooming now.

Thumbnail by GAgirl1066

Hey Paula,
It's been crazy around here. I've been sick with the flu, came down with after our first frost. What the name of that beautiful bloom? I'm still going to give you a call.
D-mail me your number again, please. Maybe we can chat soon!

This message was edited Nov 30, 2007 10:28 PM

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Gapeahen:

Count me and Mrs Bronx in.

And make sure you include us in helping with any assistance you may need.

I lean towards March but will attend in either month.

BB

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I would lean towards a time when swaps can be put right in ground without worry of freeze. I came home with so much last time that if it couldnt have stayed outside it would have been a problem. We had a later than normal freeze last year, but I dont remember the exact date.

Just my thoughts, but I would surely try to be there either month.

chris

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

The week of Easter (April) was the date of the last unexpected freeze. Donna, you know I'll be there with bells on to help you any way I can. I agree with Chris about needing to be able to plant immediately. I don't have any place to keep potted plants from a freeze.
I will certainly go with the flow and manage with any date decided on though.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Donna, I am in. I lean towards end March, mid April. There should be no frost anymore, right?
I don't think I have anything to trade yet but we'll see.
Coby

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Atlanta's "official" frost date is April 15th. I think we actually we one or 2 days past that this last April.
What weekend is Easter. I don't ahve a 2008 calendar yet.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm in. Let me know what I can do to help. End of March or mid April is good for me. Easter is March 23rd!! I'd prefer March 29 or April 19 because of spring break in Gwinnett being 4/7-11 (4/5-13 with the weekends). We'll probably have the granddaughter or need to take her to FL and pick her up.

Last Spring Frost Report ~ check your area local date.
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ffc/html/lastfrz.shtml

This may help us narrow the date down.
Spring begins March 20th
Easter March 23rd

Possible Dates for RU:
March 29th
April 5th
April 12th
April 19th
April 26th

May 4th
SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN ROUND-UP
Asheville, NC

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

March 29th or April 19th, would be best for me.
Dekalb county has Spring break Apr. 7-11.

Coby,
yep I was thinking more about April 19th. Will see what a few other's think that also have children in school.

I'm ok with the 19th

April 19th is very possible for the South Ga. Round - Up!

Sound like a good day for me! Plenty of time to get everything ready!
I'll confirm the date in January.

:)
Donna

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

That sounds good to me! I'm really hoping I'll be able to attend. The 5th would be bad because it's my b-day. :)

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

OK Donna, We will await your "final call" then! I'm counting on Apr. 19th.
Coby

Ok yall mark your calenders for Round Up in Douglas on April 19, 2008!

Will start a new thread later with all the details.

Happy New Year to ALL!
Donna

Will Do!

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

My sons confirmation is on the 21st so I will have the NY gang at my house for the whole weekend. I will have to wait till the next one. :(
I can probably send trades with someone, but I sure will miss seeing everyone!

Donna
My goodness ... I've been MIA for a bit due to a cold/flu bug. I've marked this down on my calendar. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with, and count me and the DH in. :-)
~Susan

What's a trade?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Hey there, BB! I see you're an early bird too.
We trade plants among us at the round-up. Donna will probably post a pre-trading thread closer to the ru date where we can list plants we plan on bringing and folks can pre-trade for them. Although, folks will still bring unreserved plants that can be swapped or traded for at the round-up. That way, folks that don't have many or any plants to trade will still go home loaded down with plants.
Deborah

Thanks!

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Donna, I passed thru on I75 today on my way back from FL and saw Douglas on the map. I started planning my trip for 4/19! Its on my calendar in permanent ink for sure.
Becky

How far is it from us in driving time Becky?

BB

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

BB

I estimate 3.5-4 hours depending on traffic. I-75 can be very messy for no apparent reason. It will also depend on where you get off 75 and go towards Douglas. I like country roads and will probably get off at GA 32 and go thru Ocilla. Not sure yet. Maybe go I-16 to US 441? There are so many choices.

Becky

BB & Becky,
Hwy 441 run right through Douglas. Use google map and type in your address for directions. I do have plenty of room for anyone who has a RV, for over night stay.

Where is Douglas, Ga
214 miles South of Atlanta
216 miles South of Athens
125 miles SE of Macon
45 miles East of Tifton, Ga. (I-75)
38 miles North of Waycross, Ga. (Hwy 82)
60 miles North East of Valdosta, Ga.
90 miles North of Jacksonville, Fl. (US 1)

http://maps.google.com/?q=1960%20East%20Baker%20Hwy%20Douglas%20Ga.%2031535&utm_campaign=en&utm_source=en-ha-na-us-ssm&utm_medium=ha&utm_term=promo

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Donna. It tells me to go I-75 to GA 32 like my one plan...

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

HI DONNA, I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THE ROUND-UP. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST. SHARON

Welcome Sharon glad to see you on Dave's!! Will be chatting soon!

Hey Yall Kgb4013 is new to gardening and also a neighbor of mine, that I've never met just chatting on the phone. So I twisted her ear and she agree to be a Helper during the Round-Up!!
WHoray For Sharon & Deborah!!

Hey Deborah-Cordeledawg does this sound familiar how we met? You know girl friend I love to garden talk!! lol!!

Donna

This message was edited Feb 3, 2008 11:22 PM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Sharon, Welcome to DG. And welcome to the RU it will be fun. This will be my 2nd so I am not a very experienced RU-er yet. This is a great group with a tremendous amount of advise and good humour.
Looking forward meeting you.
Coby

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Yes siree, Donna, u got that right. Can hardly wait to me everyone!

Hey Yall,
If you have any garden items you would to trade beside plants. Like pots/containers,
tools anything garden relative bring it to the Round Up. This may help those with very few plants to trade.

Have A Great Day!
Donna

Oh great. Should we list the items to see if anyone wants them or just bring them?

Welcome Kgb4013. This will be my first RU, also. Look forward to meeting you!
~Susan

Susan,
I think it might be best to just bring those extra goodies. There will be a few other gardener's beside DGer's. They will be bring plants too. I know one of them is big in Herb's.
So you gardener's that have extra's plants, please bring them. They will be something here for everyone.

I'll put the word out that you are wanting Fragrant plants! I also have a few unknown Brugs and one very fragrant yellow!

Hey yall lets chat awhile on this thread. Maybe we can get a few more folks to join us!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801585/#new

Anyone got the spring bug yet, with all this beautiful weather we are having???

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

HI DONNA, YES, I DEFINITELY HAVE THE SPRING BUG. I WENT TO TIFTON TODAY PLANT SHOPPING. I THOUGHT BOB'S FLOWERS WOULD HAVE SOME HEUCHERA IN, BUT HE SAID IT WOULD BE THE MIDDLE OF MARCH BEFORE THEY CAME IN. HE DID HAVE SOME PEACOCK SPIKE MOSS, I GOT ONE JUST TO TRY IN MY SHADE GARDEN THIS SPRING. I HAVE A SMALL GREENHOUSE TO KEEP IT IN UNTIL IT WARMS UP. ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH ORNAMENTAL OREGANO? SHARON

Albany, GA

I have a baaaad case of the Spring bug....this is my first GA spring in about 5 years. The past 5 were spent in MO. Had friends visiting this weekend from MO, they were so envious of this weather....they are now headed back to snow & ice. They just couldn't get over how nice it was here. I spent a few minutes puttering around the garden, and my was it ever enjoyable. I'm basically starting from scratch, which is really kind of fun. Our home had a few foundation shrubs planted but that's about it. So here I go! Really looking forward to the roundup.....don't have any plants to trade but do have some pots and maybe a tool or so I can bring. This will be my first but I'm sure we will all have fun.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the round-up. So many new names that I are from GA that I've missed talking to on Daves. Hey there,
Kgb4013 and hortiguy. I'm hoping to have enough seedlings, cuttings and plants that will be on Donna's orphan table that won't even require a trade. That's a good way for folks who are just starting out gardening to get some plants without an exchange. I surely don't want to haul any of the ones I bring to trade or giveaway back home with me.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Spring bug has bit. I've decided to start my peppers seeds this week. (Anyone want some pepper plants at RU? no trade necessary. Dmail for list.) I went out and pulled weeds today just to get my hands dirty. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.