Mature specimen JM needs I.D.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Please help I.D. this plant, I've posted all but the right post. Thanks much.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/794049/

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Could be anything even with adequate jpegs which yours are not... it one chance in a million to identify with certainty ...just give it a name like jethro or elli mae... it is likely just a jm seedling anyway..or if you want a more Japanese name call it shinji or something like that ... whtever you are waisting you time with trying to ID you could spend the next millenium doing so and still not be sure there are hundred or maybe a thousand named cultivars out there many VERY similar and a bizziomn generic seedling no names which I would guess yours is ..David

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Lily_love see if you can find someone who has a copy of "Japanese Maples" by J.D. Vertrees - third edition. It contains information on 400 cultivars with 313 photographs. You could likely puzzle the ID out from that. I frequently buy JM's at steep year end discounts from a local reputable garden center. Over a selling season they invariably have some stock left, some of which have lost their plant ID tags. Since I know they deal only with named cultivars from reliable growers I know I have "something". I just don't know what! It sometimes takes a whole growing season to figure some of them out and that's kind of fun.
Whatever your JM is, it's really nice.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Snaple45, thanks kindly. I'll check with Amazon's bookclub and see if I can come up with some books for winter reading. Named or un-named cultivar isn't much of an issue, I thought it would be nice to add that into my garden journal. Thanks a million, on the curiosity streak; it would be fun to know the NOID JM. Thanks again.
Kim

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Snap....buying a untaged tree from a nursery is not the same as this situation #1 their selection will be in the dozens not hundreds of varieties in most cases #2 they should have a list of what they had in inventory in the spring that you could copy #3 and most importantly like you said, they are grafted named cultivars which at least give you hope of ID ( you cannot id a generic JM it is an oxymoron) #4 then using vertrees book or the Eastwoods CD or better yet BOTH to cross referance ...this would give you a very good chance of ID maybe close to 100% after a years growth.... Lilliy's situation is not the same and as I said one chance in "you know where" she can ever ID it with absolute certainty...a waist of time IMHO since there can be NO certainty ever!!!! David

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

David, you points are well taken, this isn't a grafted cultivar. Which was planted by professional landscaper. Another alternative I see is to track down & contact the landscaping company if they're still in business at present to help narrow down the list of hundreds if not thousands as you've keenly mentioned. I strongly believe, to ask question for there is never a stupid question or as you kindly conveyed as Oxymoron. Thanks all, and happy gardening.
Kim

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If it isn't grafted and was put in by a professional landscaper then odds are really high that it is a seedling. Seedling maples can be very beautiful and I'm very fond of the four I have.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Doss, lovely trees doesn't matter how one looks at them. I agree.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Next year perhaps you can get a better photo of it to post. I'd love to really be able to see it.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

With some pics of the leaves, and at elast one taken of the whole tree, folks might get you an idea of it's "type", which would help with its likely growth pattern.

Laura

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Laura,
I had posted some pics. on the link above. I'll see about taking some better pics today. of this trees just for our enjoyment.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Lily, do we have the right link? All there is on that link is one out-of-focus photo of the foliage.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Acer Palmatum, as I.D.ed by Resin. That's good enough. Thanks all for replying.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.