greenhouses....pluses and minuses of various brands

Hercules, CA

i am contemplating the purchase of a new 20x20 greenhouse and i hope the collective wisdom of this group can help. i have had one for 25+ years and it's had it. i got a plastic-like roof in case kids would throw stones as such a big target. i left the sides glass. in my case it turned out that the plastic is falling apart and the glass is still fine.

[as a humorous aside...my insurance agent informed me ages ago that i could get insurance for it. it was only a $3/yr addition...then he sort of leaned back in the chair, smiled and said of course that was available only if the greenhouse was ATTACHED to the house. i smiled and said that was wonderful news because mine was! how lucky i was! of course, at that moment, he almost fell over backward in his chair, contemplating possible claims....for a $3 rider. these days my agent tells me if i have 2 claims in 3 years my insurance will be canceled.]

at any rate i'd appreciate hearing your opinions and experiences with greenhouses. i live in the san francisco bay area and the usual low temp is around 32 at night in winter, and a dry 83 in the summer. [with global warming this is really changing.] i'm not contemplating heating or cooling it. also this time the price isn't as much of a consideration as it was before and i will have it installed for me.

thanks,
dean

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

until you get a new one-why not replace the plastic for this winter? Not sure what kind of plastic it is though

Fulton, MO

I agree, you may be way further ahead with new twinwall PC.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.