Unhappy, fruitless purple plum

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

I have 2 fruitless purple plum. That is all the tag said when I bought them 5 years ago. They have grown from about 6' to about 12' and have filled out nicely.

Except for this year...they never really filled out with all their leaves, you could see through the trees in mid summer, which is unusual. They dropped many of the leaves that they did have throughout the summer.

We have been in drough conditions all summer, they did get some but probably not as much as they would have liked.

Question...should I fertilize with tree spikes now or in spring. When will it give them the best chance of a good beginning next year. Will it help their roots now or make them want to start flowering?

Thanks,
chris

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Being that you're in a drought, I wouldn't fertilize them, especially with spikes. Fertilizing stimulates new growth, and if there is not enough water to maintain that growth, you will get leaf scorching and possibly dieback. My only advice is to apply mulch over the root zone, water deeply, and maybe spray the trunk with some horticultural oil (in case of borers).

P.S. Those spikes are bad. Too much fertilizer in one spot can burn roots.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The other problem with the spikes is water. If you don't get water the spikes don't dissolve. If you used them in the spring go see if they're still in the ground around the tree. Bet they are.

This message was edited Nov 28, 2007 4:13 PM

Wow, I have been using the spikes for about 3 years around alot of my trees and shrubs. Probably about 20 per year total. This past spring was the first time I didnt find time to do the spikes. Maybe that was a by accident good thing!

I will put a little extra mulch and water deeply, then wait and hope that spring makes them happy again.

How often should I water deeply? Should I fertilize in spring, if yes, then what would you use instead of spikes?

I will also check into the oil, for borers. I havent seen any signs of them but will keep a close eye.

Thanks very much,
chris

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Are you in the severe drought area? And is there a watering ban? If you're allowed to water, I'd say about once a week as long as you don't get any rain. If you start getting decent rain showers, you shouldn't have to water at all during the winter. Stick your finger into the soil a few inches. If it feels dry, that's when you need to water.

If you're determined to fertilize, try finding a timed release type and don't apply until around March. If you want natures fertilizer (which is best), just rake up fallen leaves and use them as mulch. As they decompose they will release nutrients into the soil. I usually do a layer of oak or hickory leaves, then put a layer of pine needles on top so they don't blow away. After a few years of doing that you will find the soil underneath is rich and holds moisture.

Ok, got it!

Yes, I am in the severe drought area, but I have buckets in the showers and always have lots of Pasta water. Most of my smaller plants that like water have been on a pasta diet for 3 months. They didnt mind it at all, but they dont need it any more. Next to the trees, I could probably did down a foot with a shovel and I guarantee that the soil would be bone dry. I probably ignored them thinking that the drought wouldnt affect them. I used most of my water keeping the smaller plants alive.
I have plenty of leaves to chop up and use as mulch. If that all the nutrients you think they would need, then that is what I will do.

Hoping and Praying that by spring our water will be back up to normal. If not there will be bigger problems than my trees and plants to worry about. I just want to give them the best chance I can with the water I have.

Thanks,
chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.