need ID on this tree with edible peas

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

My neighbor has this tree and she says she cooks the peas that it produces. She doesn't know the name. She gave me some seeds to plant. I would like to know what it is before I plant it. Here is a picture of the peas.

Thumbnail by imadigger
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

here is a pic of the flowers and peas.

Thumbnail by imadigger
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

and here is a pic of the leaves on the tree.
The tree is about 7-8 ft tall.

Thumbnail by imadigger
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I have no clue what it is, but it sure is interesting and will be glad as well to know what it is!!!!!!!! Good Luck!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 10a)

It looks like some type of Solanum, but I do not know the species.

They are not peas as we know them ...very curious to know what they are have you tasted them ?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I will have to ask my neighbor for some to cook. I'll also need her recipie. She says she spices them up. I don't really know what she means by that, but I'll find out.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I agree with Solanum...eggplant family. Chrissy, could it be the 'Kangaroo Apple'? Many of the Solanums are 'considered' toxic...most are edible... I would follow your neighbor's lead and see if you like them.... Let us know.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Looks like maybe solanum wrightii or something similar.

It is a "Thai green pea" eggplant. I found it in my garden bible ...isn't that interesting? ...so it is safe to eat (tropical conditions required to grow).
chrissy :)

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Chrissy100, thank you so much. You got it right. I searched on google for more info about them. My neighbor cooks them in a spicy dish. I am going to ask her for a cutting of her bush and see if it will take. It looks like a very interesting vegetable. Thanks again.

You are welcome mate ,I learned something too ...I love eggplant .
chrissy :)

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha imadigger, welcome! I'm with Chrissy, love to learn something new, do let us know if it does taste like eggplant, and how you do with the cutting.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Sounds like something I need to grow!!!! and eat!!!!

Carol

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Will it grow in Texas?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Did I see a post from the elusive Carol? Hey girl, what's up with you and Shari? Has she gone home? Pictures? sorry, there I go again OT.

Chicken and green peas.
serves 4

3 tablespoons green curry paste (store bought)
* 1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
* 100g palm sugar
* 100ml fish sauce
* 100ml tamarind water*
* 4 kaffir lime leaf
* 200ml coconut cream
* 400ml chicken stock
* 500g chicken breast, thinly sliced
* 100g snow peas
* ½ punnet grape tomatoes
* 4 Thai eggplant
* 50g pea eggplant

Method

Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat. Add the curry paste and fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.

Add the palm sugar and fish sauce and cook until thick and bubbling. Add the tamarind water, kaffir lime leaf, coconut cream and stock. Bring back to a boil and reduce to a simmer.

Add the chicken and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomato and eggplant and cook for 5 minutes.

Check the consistency as it needs to resemble a soup not a thick curry, adjust by adding extra stock if need be.

*Tamarind water can be made by using either a jar of tamarind paste mixed in equal parts with water or by soaking a block of tamarind in one litre warm water, removing the seeds and straining, keeping the tamarind water for later use.

TIP: Try adding a stalk of lemon grass and a knob of galangal to the soup before adding any meat or vegetables, simmering for 10 minutes to infuse the flavour. Remember to top up with stock or water to keep it of soup consistency.

I have not tried it myself but it looks good ...I thought it might give you some ideas as to different ways to cook the Thai green peas.
LouC I think there is a lot of trouble in the Islands with tropical storms and loss of power.We are experiencing severe storms too.
I have lost power over a dozen times in the last few days ...no power = no computer so that may be why you have heard nothing.
Happy weekend gardening everyone.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

thanks for the recipe chrissy. I'll have to find a grocer that carries all those exotic ingredients ;]. sounds good. my neighbor, Thelma is from England of West Indies ancestry. I'll have to ask her for a taste of hers before I go crazy looking to cook them.

Ha ha ha if it were me I would just toss them into a nice garlicy stir fry to start or even a good sate dish ...I think they will be ok that way
don't you? yes I would want to know too before buying some of those things :)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HEY there...not elusive...just up to my eyeballs in stuff. Shari and JB spent the night and then we were all on the same plane to Oahu...killer storm came thru the islands so spent most of Oahu time trying to get back to the airport from the N. shore to get back last night to disaster1!!! Trees down, trash all over the place, laundry to do etc. and family arriving next week. Now I have lost the file where I put all the photos.

Guess it is NOT my week!!!

AlohaHoya, you poor thing, I am so glad you are ok ...everything else does not matter, although a nuisance,we can't replace all of you wonderful people ...the laundry,plants, houses ... it is just stuff ,
Stay safe ...so glad that you and everyone are ok ...it must have been scary for you.
Hugs chrissy

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Carol, so glad to know that you are OK!!!!! We can wait on the pictures!!!! Take care of yourself and family!!!!!!!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Luckily with our weather, the 'trash' blown down should decompose quickly, leaving great firewood!!!! And yes...we had a fire in the woodstove last night and will have one tonight....it gets COLD!!!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Definately! Most of the homes there are not insulated as well as they are here, so it can get cold quick! When we were there in Jan it would get down to 50, but in that little cinderblock house on the base, it felt much colder! We did not have a heater that I can remember !!!!! So we really had to bundle up!!!

The picture of Y'all and Shari is very nice. Susan sure looks familiar!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.