Looking for Egyptian 'Jasmine Sambac' sold as braclets

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I'd love to know the botanical name of the bracelets and necklaces sold by vendors on the streets in Cairo, Egypt at night. They display these by popping them through the car windows. Just the short time these are wafted in the car, one is enshrouded with the most incredibly fragrant rich perfume. The flowers are pure white, about 1" in diameter. I believe they may be one of the Jasmine Sambacs, but which one???

Air-layering of cuttings takes 6 weeks for them to root. All the seeds come from my own garden. A couple of those below have green seeds right now, which will take a little while to ripen.

SEEDS: Should I be fortunate enough to have the Egyptian Jasmine Sambac identified, and should an overseas gardener have seeds of this Jasmine Sambac plant and interested in a seed trade, I have added a list of seeds (fragrant flowers (Gloriosa's are not fragrant)) below, all from my own garden. .

ROOTED PLANTS OR SEEDS: For USA traders, If you have a rooted plant or seeds of this Jasmine Sambac to trade, please contact me. I can root the undermentioned plants (6 weeks for air-layering) or send seeds. A couple of those below have green seeds right now, which will take a little while to ripen.

1. Cananga Odorata. Tree. The flowers are the source of Chanel #5 perfume. Exquisite perfume wafting in the breeze for quite a distance. My trees flower pretty much all year round. Colour: very green (immature) strong yellow (when ripe). The trees seed very well. Propogation: seeds. I believe air layering is good, but it has not worked for me!

2. Telosma Cordata. Vine. These flowers have a mixed fragrance of violets and roses. The fragrance wafts in the breeze only a few feet fromt he plant. Colour: yellow, dangling down like bells, mostly hidden by the leaves of the vine. Propogation: The roots are easily divided when mature. Ground layering.

BRUNFELSIAS. Shrubs. All are night fragrant flowers. All are prop by seeds or air-layering. The gardenia like fragrances are all different, powerful and waft quite far. all have just the most exquisite perfumes!
3. Brunfelsia Americana. Fragrance of cloves. Colour: Cream by day, pure white at night.
4. Brunfelsia Nitida. Fragrance of cloves. Colour: cream by day, pure white at night.
5. Brunfelsia Isola. Fragrance rather gardenia-ish. Colour: white with a hint of purple.
6. Brunfelsia Lactea. Fragrance rather gardenia-ish. Colour cream by day, pure white at night.
7. Brunfelsia Gigantica. Fragrance rather gardenia-ish. Colour cream by day, pure white at night.

8. Cestrum Diurnum. Day jasmine tree/shrub. Fragrance of milk chocolate. pure white, tubular, small in clusters
9. Cestrum Nocturnum seed all still green -Night Jasmine. The birds pinch them as soon as they are ripe, so its difficult to be a winner competing with them for these seeds...Not good to grow next to a bedroom window as its fragrance is extremely powerful!

10. Nyctanthus Arbor Tristis (Indian. Tree Of Sorrow). Seeds are still green but I'll have about 4 of them when they ripen. Fragrance similar to that of Cestrum Diurnum.

12. Gardenia Tubifera 'Kula'. 'Golden Gardenia'. Rooted only as I've never had seeds from this lovely plant.

Not fragrant: Gloriosa vines. I mix my seeds...Rothschildiana, Superba, Carnosii.
etc, etc...

Older albums of some flowers in my garden:
[HYPERLINK@community.webshots.com]
[HYPERLINK@community.webshots.com]
[HYPERLINK@smg.photobucket.com]

Thanks.

Thumbnail by bedouin
Denham Springs, LA(Zone 8b)

I found a website that sells this. Just a bit pricey.

Carol

http://www.msaqua.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Ladysaltfire, alas, I'm afraid its not an abelia! It could well be one of the Jasmine Sambac's (I'm replying to your other posting shortly). How I wish I had collected, begged, borrowed, etc, etc, some seeds! Hindsight and all that......

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.