CARDBOARD PALM

TAMUNING, Guam (USA)

I LIVE ON GUAM. I HAVE A CARDBOARD PALM THAT IS OVER 25 YRS OLD-IT IS HUGE BUT HAS NEVER PRODUCED ANY TYPE OF PODS. WHAT CAN I DO? IS IT THE TYPE OF SOIL OR WHAT?

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Georgial3, and welcome!

You might try the Palms forum for info...also, go to "guides and info", then to "plant files", then type in Zamia Furfuracea for info. Sorry, I haven't got a clue how to do one of those link thingy's....

Info there says something about it being a cycad and needs both a male and female plant in order to produce pods. Also info on how poisonous the pods are, and how one woman lost her dog after it ate the berries.

Perhaps RJ, or one of our other folks from Florida will be able to help you, I haven't noticed anything like that here....

Do stay in touch and let us know about your life on Guam...

Jenny

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a carboard palm that is about five years old. I sent up a pod of seeds a month ago. My hubby cut it off because we have a dog and I know that the seeds are poisonous. It is also sending up a pup about a foot away from main plant. Maybe yours is a boy. :). Check out the palm forum and see what they come up with.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.