Drip Irrigation for Greenhouse

McKinney, TX

I recently constructed a small (8X10) GH and want to install an automated drip irrigation system. Will anyone please share their experiences with this process with me? Are there recommended resources? Thanks, Beth

Evergreen, CO

These guys are the best

http://www.dripworksusa.com/store/store.php#tiptop

I decided to stick with more of a hands on approach for such a small area.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

i bought a kit from lowes. they are located in the plumbing section of hd,lowes.
if you decide you need different fittings, emitters etc. they can be bought separately and are relatively inexpensive. you can also get a programmable timer with however many number of programs and zones you might need. the basic kit has all the info you need on assembling them. it is a lot easier than it might seem.
make sure all the fittings do not have any leaks or drips. my drip system had a drip and it cost me an $80 water bill from what is normally $16. the fitting that screws onto the faucett had a "small" lol, drip.
a quick summation of how it works is; from outside faucet you connect pressure regulator(if need be), filter(if needed), to timer (timer is battery powered, turns litttle plastic in-line valve to allow water to flow {faucet is left on always}),to big plastic hose which you punch holes in with hole puncher included in kit,fitting which snaps into big hose and connects smaller 1/4" hose that goes to individual pots, emitter which fits inside 1/4"hose. emitters can be drip, sprayer, and of course gallons per hour or spray pattern for sprayer.

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

oh i forgot, you can also buy a fitting that connects to faucet that has 2 or more switchable outlets if you need to hook a hose up so you don't have to remove the whole thing from faucet when you want to use a hose to water the yard or something.

McKinney, TX

Thanks! How about the set-up? Is it best to lay the line along the benches or from above? Does anyone have comments about misters versus drip on individual plants? Thanks, Beth

Adrian, MO(Zone 6a)

beth i would think anywhere where it doesn't get in your way. i had the drips on the plants
i had but i think i would prefer the misters if i had the choice, covers more soil area and gives the option of wetting the leaves when or if needed.

Washington, MO(Zone 6a)

I have the following setup in my 8x12 GH:
http://www.dripirrigation.com/drip_irrigation_info.php?products_id=1076

It's worked just fine for my needs, and the install was a snap.

HTH,
Eggs

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.