Growing Canna in Zone 9 in AZ and where to find Canna

Casa Grande, AZ(Zone 9b)

I recently moved to Casa Grande and would like to Augment my Palm and Hibiscus yard with Canna. Looking for lots of colors and heights. Can some one please give me some hints to successful growing, selecting, and planting.

All advice is appreciated.

Jan

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Jan! This isn't a good time of year to try and find canna. In spring canna starts to show up at the nurseries and of course mail order in the spring, too. Look for smooth unpuckered leaves, don't buy any that have deterioration on new leaves (except in the middle of summer here in AZ of course lol) or deterioration in the veining. When buying mail order.......look for a quality company, cheap canna are often mislabeled and virused.

Ammend your soil when planting with a good dose of compost. They like water :) Here in AZ they are not going to look their best in summer unless given afternoon shade and plenty of water. Mulch with straw or something similar in summer to help keep roots cool and to help with evaporation. Winter is no biggie, they are very hardy here. Once a stalk is done flowering cut it down.

Does that help?

Lynn

Casa Grande, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Lynn,

You have been a great help. I will start looking this spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.