Lets see what you have in bloom right now.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

This is what's blooming in my sunroom.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Norfolk, VA

those are beautiful!! i am growing them for the first time this year. one of them looks like it's about to bust wide open, and the other is just starting out. i have always loved these, and am on pins and needles waiting for them. i have red lion and minerva.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Holy moley! I have flower spikes starting to rise but WOW! What a display!

I thought *I* was bad with too many plants!

Norfolk, VA

i thought i was doing good just to get 2 to grow. my red lion has two spikes, one is 22"tall the other is 18" tall. if i'm lucky enough to keep them alive, i will get more of them. i just love flowers that bloom indoors.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh, this is hardly too many! Am I right, all you Amaryllis fanatics? This is only 1/5 of my collection. OK, on reflection, that does sound like too many: good thing I have an understanding DH.

Norfolk, VA

there is no such thing as too many!!! of course, i'm still trying to convince my hubby of that one. yours are gorgeous, i am just starting with these but am glad i decided to but some. one day i'll have a beautiful collection..............

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

bsharf, no I got jealous, I´ve only got two hippeastrum bloom.
But thanks for sharing, it is really beautiful,
~Sylvia

Never too many, I have 7 purchased this year!!! Also have a bed appr'x 25ft X 2ft packed with bulbs & hundreds of seedlings & I have very little room! No bloom yet!

bsharf-
Do you buy those pots in bulk? What's the source?

Also, do you plan to have this many bloom in unison, or is it just coincidence or the new ones?

Very nice display.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

these are 6" plastic pots from Lowes, I got them years ago on sale, I scrub them in a bleach solution, dry them, and stack them between use: They are a little dressier than nursery pots. I stagger my bulb orders from many different sources, and keep the new bulbs in a 45 degree wine cooler, to keep them dormant. That way I can have plants blooming from late Oct through late May. After the first season, I plant the Amaryllis outside, and they bloom in April-May. If I was going to keep the Amaryllis in pots long term, I would use the heavier clay pots, which dry out faster between waterings, and aren't as tippy as these lightweight plastic pots. I buy new "to me" varieties of Amaryllis each year, to add to my collection. Each year I lose some that rot after blooming. So the number stays about the same. My real collection is in the photo record that I am keeping. There is a need to get decent ID photos out on the internet for gardeners who are interested in growing Amaryllis species. Here is a good example of the need for photos. I am currently growing a cultivar labelled Chianti. I haven't been able to find a photo of it, so I'm not sure if the bulb is correctly IDed.

I lost 2 to rot this year myself out of about 15 - 18 bulbs. I'm trying a new soil mix this year, 1 part peat to 3 parts perlite. Drainage is awesome as you can imagine.

Yes, I've also started to add significant perlite mixtures into my potting mix.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

That's a fantastic display!

Welcome to Amaryllis Alley.

Thumbnail by

Amaryllis Wagon

Thumbnail by

Amaryllis Wagon 2.

Thumbnail by
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Very nice, gordo.

gordo-
I am beyond jealous. Are you a pro or a hobbyist?

Oh my, You have so many beauties!! wish I had more room! I am about out of space.

WOW! Gordo wins!

(I think!)

Yep! Think so!!

Link, Sweden(Zone 5b)

Hippeastrum reticulatum striatifolium flower right now in my windowsill.
~Sylvia

Thumbnail by hobbyodlaren

Gee...I don't know what I am. I just wanted to have enough varieties to be able to work a little mad science.

I read a story once about an old Japanese man. He had a tiny little paper house. Inside, there was: a table and two chairs, a bed, a box for his clothes, a cooking grate, two cooking pots, a set of dishes for two, a pair of shoes and an Amaryllis bulb in a pot.
The Amaryllis bulb was: his companion, his seasonal timepiece, his art lesson, his science lesson, his insight into the secret innermost workings of the universe, his excitement, his pet, his child, his wife, his beloved son, the embodiment of his beliefs, his taskmaster, employer, his absent and fondly recalled parents, his best friend.
He's the winner. :-)

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Gordo, as usual, your flowers are to die for. What is the one in the wagon, first picture, right hand side in front? It must be a cybister but it almost looks like a crinum.

Cybister "Night Star".

Ooooo, another pretty one for the "wants" list. Do you plant them out in your garden or just keep yours in pots?

Some go into the garden. The plants we use for making seed stay in pots.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You have an extremely enviable collection there gordo, and also enviable is the space bsharf you have to grow them, and bring in 'display' pots to your sunroom.

Wonderful to see in the midst of a gloomy winter!

Gordo, I didn't realize you had a nursery; cool, I just visited your website. I'll have to keep an eye on your listings.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Gordo, I suspected as much, you sneak! If I'm ever down your way, I want to visit that alley! Just wonderful! I wanted to know what that one was, too. Thrilled to hear it is Night Star since I just got it and it has a tall and short bud stalk right now. Can't wait.

hehehe...

Just following the rules here at Dave's. Mums the word.
Actually, this is more a working botanical garden than a nursery...kind of an outdoor, mad science lab.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

'Night Star'--a delicate dreamy thing. You can also see one in Gordo's pix.

Thumbnail by raydio

'Merengue'-another cybister that I love for its autumn colors and although it doesn't show in this pic, the tepal backs have a lot of green on them and when the cluster is opening, the green makes a wonderful impression with the bronzes inside.

Thumbnail by raydio

Oh, I didn't realize I had some from Gordo either.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Raydio- OMG That 'Merenge' is stunning!

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

My Merengue is in dormancy but let me see if I can show the green you are describing.

Thumbnail by boojum

Lovely, Boojum!

Diane~ Did you look in the plantfiles at the other pix of merengue?

R.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

They are all lovely! Seems like each one has it's own personality with a little bit different color and form.

Merengue is one more for my *wants* list which is rapidly turning into my *absolutly must have* list. LOL

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7a)

Yes I want that one too. But then I'm only starting with Amaryllis. Still trying to get some to rebloom!? Ugh!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.