Happy Thanksgiving! (it snowed here!)

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Woke up to a blanket of snow on the ground...not unusual for Thanksgiving day in Michigan. Looks like its already melting but it's a pretty sight.

I let the ducks, geese and chickens out this morning and for many of them its their first snow so they kind of stop dead in their tracks as they exit the door as if to say..."whoa! whats that?!?!"
But then after a moment of wonder they went on their merry way.

Today we are going to Grand Rapids for Thanksgiving dinner.
Our son Lee Jr. and his wife Abbi are hosting this year which is just fine with me because I've been working so many hours its nice to not have to get the house all spiffed up for company. We all pitch in and bring a dish. Mom brings pies, daughter Holly appetizers, I'm bringing my sweet potato, squash, apple, w/pecan, dried cherries bake... and other family members are bring something as well.
Abbi is making the turkey stuffing and mashed potatoes and gravy.
BTW Holly told me she read the other day there are 500 calories in just one piece of pecan pie! YIKES!!!
Can you imagine how many calories are in a TG dinner?!
Well lets not think about that today...theres always Monday.

So what are ya'll doing today?

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose
Kalamazoo, MI

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

It's just the two of us this year, so we're having a roast chicken with all the usual fixin's because a turkey would be too much.

I just got an e-mail from my SIL who's going to north NJ to visit her sister. My brother, who's a prosthetist, is going hunting in Pennsylvania with a man who has two prosthetic arms. He's helping him to continue hunting despite his disability. How cool is that!

Oh, yeah--it snowed here last night too!

This message was edited Nov 22, 2007 9:58 AM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Woke up to a blanket of snow on the ground here too and its still snowing!off and on

Dinner is here and im doing it all! Just hubby, me and the 2 lil boys(11&14)
going to be the first time without the older guyz

Got to get busy here-i NOTmartha even made my first cheesecake-pumpkin with walnut topping!! cant wait

happy thanksgiving and the holiday season!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Happy Thanksgiving to ALL of you.
Enjoy the day

Paul

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Michiganders!!!

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!
Just hubby and I with a 34 lb bird. Dad raised 11 birds and ours was the smallest. The largest dressed at 54 lbs..
3 inches of snow on the ground.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

wowow 34 lbs.. hehe that is a lot of turkey....just hubby and me here..cooking two brined cornish hens...hhahaha...lov to see these birds cooked side by side..hehehe...Enjoy....smiles..Happy turkey day everyone....

Diana...

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Hope everyone had a great day and didn't eat too much.
DH got a nice doe hunting yesterday morning. We were thankful for that.
We too had snow, about 2". Our second snow of the season. It just hung in the trees in the woods and was very pretty.
We went to Clare for dinner at SIL house. They had some ice and slippery roads north of us I hear. DH's neice lives in TC and said the roads were very bad up there.
We had a lovely family get together with lots of wonderful food and fellowship. I could have made a meal on the desserts alone!
Woke up this morning to 8'. Brrr.
Glad the flannel sheets are on, and the furnace kicked on for the first time last night. (the wood stove has been fired for a month, but needs help when it gets too cold)
Is everyone shopping today?
I choose to skip the hussle bussle.
But would like to hear of the bargians you all got.

Ludington, MI

CPC:
I'm NOT shopping to today because I'm all done (she said smugley)! I get all cranked up about stores being open on Family type holidays. With stores opening so early on Friday morning, many employees have to cut Thanksgiving short so they can be at work at 3AM. How rude is that? I'm thinking that if we all just took a little responsibility and planned properly there would be nobody shopping on Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter. Eventually the stores would get the hint and close up so their employees could enjoy the holidays. As far a Black Friday goes, if I need to buy a gift, I could just a well do it on Saturday. Greed, it's all about Greed!!!!! Whew.......Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. I sound like a former store employee. Actually no. Never was. It just ticks me off. What do the rest of you think? Am I nuts? Careful, I'm sensitive. :-}
Kris

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I have no intentions of being in a store on Black Friday. No way!!!! I have done about 75% of my shopping so far via internet. It is so convenient. Don't have to fight the crowds.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Had a great T'giving...in fact we have another one today!! How special is that. I heard that the typical meal is a loaded 5,000 calories...

We woke up to snow too, but it soon melted away. Today the skies are beautiful, but it is brisk outside.

I planned on going shopping, but there was nothing that tempted me other than a really inexpensive computer. I love having two in case one goes south...can't be without one ya know.

Well, I'm off to bake pies!!! Happy eating!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone!

No way am I getting out shopping. I do almost all my shopping via the internet. I love it too. I do some at Walmart in Tawas but I am not driving an hour or more to some mall to shop. Gasoline is too expensive and I never was much of a mall shopper anyway. Our list has dwindled to mostly buying for our little granddaughter and my 91 year old mom. I get my son and daughter in law things they need like I got my DIL a new windshield for her van. I'm done buying a bunch of stuff their either can't use or won't wear. Money is tight and it needs to go where it's needed most and not on fluff.

I agree the stores should not be open on holidays. Those employees deserve the day off to be with their families.

We got a little snow for Thanksgiving morning and it's hanging around. It got down to nine degrees last night at our place!! OMG, it is cold cold outside. My gate is frozen and won't latch so I had to use a rope to tie it to so the dogs won't escape. I'm going to have to get out there with a blowdryer to thaw it out then slather it with vasoline or something. :)

I saw one lone deer outside my bedroom window this morning. He was kind of picking up his paws funny like his feet were cold. He was hunting for a blade of grass to eat and there weren't any. I felt so bad for him. I need to get a bale of alfalfa to put out there for him. I can't stand to see them hungry. You would think he'd go to some hunter's food pile and chow down.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my Dh was out there at 2am and they were lined up by the 100s
so he just came home and went to bed!

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh my goodness. That is something. The one thing that would tick me off is if I stood in that line in the freezing cold for hours and got in there and they didn't have any more of the sale items. They said on TV that the "tickler sales" to get people into the stores had very limitied quantities....................like only 15 big screen TV's or whatever. They're hoping when those items are gone the early bird shoppers will hang around and spend their money on something else. I sure wouldn't. I'd be so ticked that I'd leave and take my money with me. It's a marketing ploy that may backfire on them if they don't give out rainchecks and I don't think they are planning on doing that.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Well, seems everyone thinks like me. I feel the stores should be closed too. I think it is nuts to go out shopping today. But there are some good deals to be had, I guess.

DH had to go into work early. He calls me to tell me (at 5.30am) the parking lot at the local dept store was full, couldn't figure out why. Men! LOL.

Loon, that deer was probably too smart to eat on a bait pile. Free food in the woods is a bad sign to them.

About shopping. I try to make many gifts for people. Not only does it save money, but people seem to like it more. We try to make the gifts nice, but not go overboard. It is more fun when it is not so overwhelming.
I am no where near done. And Krissy, good thing you can't be throttled over the computer for rubbing our noses in the fact that we haven't planned as well as you. LOL. We all bow to you.
(and mumble curses)

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

WHY do people go out at 4AM (or whatever) shopping on Black Friday and why is it called B.F.?

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Not for me...they called it black friday to bring it from red...( lost money) to Black..meaning..they made up for the red..I think that is it...If wrong just correct me..my two cents..lol

Smiles..Diana....

Ludington, MI

OMG I've been cyber throttled! What fun. Smiles
Kris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.