Adeniums, when to bring in and let go dormant?

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have lots of adeniums and a couple weeks ago we had a few nights of temps that were colder then normal, down into the high 30s. I brought my adeniums into the garage and have left them there. If warmed back up , sixties and seventies in the day and fifties at night. We are getting ready to have another spell of cold, where it will drop down into the forties at night. What is the coldest temp to leave adeniums out in? Would it be better just to leave them in the garage where they can drop their leaves and go dormant( no sign of that yet even after a couple of weeks)? Should I just pull em in and out of the garage based on the temp? I am just afraid of having them out and either watering them or it rains and then the temp drops and I have to pull them in .

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I have read some can take high 20s for a bit.
I wont risk it
I bring everything in at 45 degrees.
Why play around with a specific temp.
When the cold is near get em in.
Snap changes in the weather or unexpected freezes have made many an adenium owner cry.

West Orange, NJ(Zone 6a)

Malestrom is right; I read on 1 grower's site that even 50's is asking for trouble with some of them.
Do they have to go dormant? I'm keeping mine warm in my office, with a CFI bulb on a timer. I'm cutting back a little on water and food though. They're not dropping leaves except for the old ones, and are still growing at the tips.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I wish I could do that. I am now up to over 20.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

lol! You poor thing.
Cmon by sometime for the grand brining in of things here.
300+ pots will make you dizzy.

Yardley, PA

I keep mine warm and under lights for the winter. They will usually replace some leaves and definitely slow down but I will sometimes get flowers in Jan and Feb. Mine don't go dormant. Some of my caudiciforms will go dormant regardless.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Groan, I cant imagine 300.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.