Countdown to Christmas

Wake Forest, NC

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze201j5/countdown.htm

OK, let's get those check books and credit cards humming!

Kent

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10b)

Is that a threat? Im feeling a little uneasy suddenly...
:-)

Wake Forest, NC

Hey, it's the American way!

Stimulate the economy!

Buy now, pay later!

Kent

Yes alot of Kiwis do it too. Just not me... the presents thing I mean. I still celebrate the birth of Christ.
Family. Friends. Good food from the garden. What more could you want.

Lena (who has no money to spend anyway)

Wake Forest, NC

Lena: that's great: keeping Christ in Christmas!

By the time, we must have been online pretty close to each other.

Kent

This message was edited Nov 30, 2007 10:54 PM

Hey I just noticed, its still 30th November!!!!!

Ive just seen on the clock at the bottom of my screen, that its 12:06am..... that means its... CHRISTMAS!!!!
Ive only just got home from work, and Im about to go to bed. I can hear fireworks going off somewhere.

AN EARLY MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!

Hope you have a great christmas day, while I begin to sleep it all off :-)

Lena

Blenheim, New Zealand

Hi LenaBean. nice to see you , Hope you and yours. have a great christmas,

and christmas for Dgs when it arrives.

have a great christmas everyone.

warm wishes too all
regards boots

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Still Christmas Eve here. Have a nice Christmas everyone. We are all snowed in with a foot of nice fluffy snow out there. I say nice now but give me a month and I won't. LOL

Jeanette

Wake Forest, NC

Merry Christmas to you Lena and to all my fellow bale gardeners!

Jeanette, send some of that snow my way!

Kent

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Ok Kent, here it comes. Have a Merry Christmas you all.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Here's one more. Hope they turn out. I just took them and it is getting dark. 3:30 Christmas Eve.

This is my birdfeeder.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

This is next to my driveway. I am surrounded by mountains.

Jeanette

Thumbnail by Jnette
Wake Forest, NC

Jeanette: LOVE IT! Thanks, Kent

Jeanette: your pictures are lovley! All the trees and snow, it looks very christmasy. And cold too I imagine. Is your place quite far out of town then? It looks nice and private. Id like to live out in the country again.

We had rain on christmas day, but boxing day was great weather, perfect for going to the boxing day races! My friends and I got to parade around in our best suits and summer dresses for the day. And some of the boys placed bets on the horses. Fun fun. Today I have organised a less glamorous activity: taking a trailer to the race track and collecting yesterdays new manure pile! For the garden of course. Ive talked two friends into helping me shovel poo, still working on the third. Hes less enthusiastic. Cant work out why.

How do you celebrate the new year? Big parties and fireworks? Camping seems to be the most popular activity here.

Warm summery thoughts, and a big bunch of green Riesentraube tomatoes, Lena

Thumbnail by LenaBeanNZ
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

OH LENA!!!! That is not very nice, showing us those lovely tomatoes and planning a trip to gather horse poo. I will go with you. Would love it.

I have 40 acres of mountainous land and trees. It is 15 miles from the nearest town that has a post office, grocery store, a hardware store, 5 churches, and 3 taverns.

Then I live 40 miles from a somewhat larger town. Not much larger. One MacDonalds and no other fast food joints. LOL and a hospital.

And 80 miles from a lot bigger city.

I have made it a habit my WHOLE life to stay home on New Year's Eve because of the other people drinking and driving. Believe it or not, I have only gone out one time on that night in my entire life. Isn't that awful??

Most people do go out and party a lot on the Eve, but on New Years Day they then sit in front of the TV sets with hang overs and watch the football games and don't even know what they are viewing. LOL

Just kidding. But that about sums it up from my perspective.

Your nice weather, parades in your beautiful clothes, and collecting horse poo sounds wonderful to me. Have a wonderful New Year.

Jeanette

Jeanette: your location sounds amazing! Do you get to see many wild animals?

I agree with you, new years eve is over rated, and can be dangerous. A popular thing to do here is camp a few nights at a big organised festival out in the wilderness. Usually there will be live music or entertainment of some sort. So no drunk driving, just some drunk stumbling over tent ropes! Or not, if your like me and dont drink very much out of habit.
You only went out once? wow. where did you go?

Yes, come and collect horse poo with me! Happy new year too you too :-)

Lena

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Lena, we get deer, of course, coyotes, lots of birds like grouse, wild turkeys, etc. rabbits of course, once in a while a bear will wonder through. These are right off my deck. Also, we had a herd of cattle. LOL.

This area is considered "open range". Meaning that the federal government allows ranchers to let their cattle graze anywhere they want. So, when the forage is dried up late in the summer high up in the mountains, they come down lower looking for green stuff. Meaning my, and other people's, gardens. I guess the law is that if I don't want them in my yard then I have to fence them out.

Your traditions of camping sound much better than people out drinking and driving. BUT, we could have a real party collecting horse poo.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hey Kent hows it going down there in that fine weather. I'll send you a little snow. May not be enough to go skiing though. Look out here it comes.!!! LOL
Russ

http://www.terrisfunny.com/xmasflash1/frosty.swf

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I couldn't bring up your link Russ. It is suppose to be snowing all this week and we have already doubled what we had in the pictures I posted. Probably get mudslides when it thaws. We don't normally have trouble with flooding. But I am sure some will. That's a while off tho.

Jeanette

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Jeanett; I got up had trouble sleeping. The dial up probably takes too long. It comes right up with DSL. (At least on this end) I 'LL send it to your Email box. See if that is any better.

Wake Forest, NC

Russ: got your snowman! I ducked just in time! :-)

Raining like crazy here, but we need it badly.

Gotta go back to work tomorrow after being off for a week and a half. :-(

Get those black-eyed peas ready for Tuesday!

Kent

Hornick, IA(Zone 4b)

Guess the black eyed peas must be a tradition on new years. I'm not up on that one.
Just had to send you that one. Would you believe one my younger brother's sister in law, Sent that to us from NC, I guess you can say it made it from there and back LOL
well here's hoping that you don't have too many typsy drivers this next week. Or at least see them before anything happens. Any way may the new year bring many blessings! Talk at you later. Russ

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Got it Russ. I wasn't as quick on the draw as Russ. You got me right in the nose. Ouch!!

Jeanette

Raeford, NC

Kent, Have a quick question. Am planning my planting for next -this year. Did you say for the cucumbers and squash you doubled the bales to give more room to grow.Past summer was my first time, got a few vegetables learned alot and am expanding this year.Thanks,Deanna Hope everyone's New Year started off great.

Wake Forest, NC

deanna8: I doubled the bales (2 bales side by side) for the cucumbers only. Works great. Get some landscaping cloth to put down beside the bales once the cukes start running off the side. Grass won't grow up in the vines once they reach the ground.

Since the squash grow up and out you may find it difficult to pick the squash in the middle of the two bales without damaging the plants.

I'd stick with a single row for the squash.

Kent

Wake Forest, NC

Let's continue in Part 19: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/801282/

Kent

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.