Classes at the Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens - 12/1 & 1/5

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

The Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens (where I work part-time in the horticulture department) offers gardening classes on a variety of topics on the first Saturday of every month. Classes are $15 for zoo members/$20 for non-members (memberships for individuals are $35 per year, so it may be worthwhile to buy a membership if you think you may visit the zoo more than a few times a year -- one day admission to the zoo is $11). You are allowed to tour the zoo after the classes, if you choose to. I plan to be at both classes and will be happy to provide you a guided tour of the zoo's botanical collection.

Saturday, Dec. 1 - Bonsai 101 - Joe Stumpf, 30 years experience with growing Bonsai, owns a collection of 90 Bonsai plants, will go over the basics for Bonsai growing and care (9:30 A.M. - 11 A.M.)

Saturday, Jan. 5 - Orchids 101 - Micheal & Harriet Wright of the local Orchid Society will discuss the basics of orchid growing. I plan to bring cuttings to share with all at the class of my Epidendrum (either fulgens or radicans, I'm not sure of the species, but a nice orange, easy to grow terrestrial orchid). (9:30 A.M. - 11 A.M.)

There is a registration form available online, or you can pay at the door. It help to reserve a seat, though, so that we have an idea of how many people may attend.

http://www.jaxzoo.org/things/horticultureworkshop.asp#dec

Hope to see you at one or both classes!

Jeremy

(edited to add the class times -- 9:30 A.M. - 11 A.M. for both classes)

This message was edited Nov 21, 2007 2:00 PM

This message was edited Nov 22, 2007 6:46 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Bumping this up for those that may want to come to the Orchids 101 course in early January. The bonsai class was great! If I could add about 30 more years to my life, I'd start some bonsai today! (But there are some plants that will make effective bonsais in shorter time periods, fortunately.)

Jeremy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.