Heidi Chronicles: Will They Stay or Will They Go?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons that frequent my backyard "diner". In mid summer 07, Heidi, Juliet, and Diva had there babies. The kids are pretty much grown now but still love to play in the pool with their toys. I don't get to see them as often now because they are all out running around the forest polishing their hunting and foraging skills while they still have Mom around to show them the ropes. Last year by this time they had all left the area - to return in spring. We are hoping that they will stay through the winter this year.

We hope that you will join us as we spend time with Heidi and the others and get to know the kids better. If you haven't done so yet you really should consider going back to the earlier threads to view the baby pics.

The prior thread in the series: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/784732/
The original thread that started it all (the very beginning of the story): http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944

Below is a baby pic from earlier in the season (Diva's baby Rupert)

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Since our last thread was getting way, way too long and difficult to load, I just wanted to get the new thread started - so it would be here waiting for the next post - coming soon.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oops.. I posted on the old thread while you were moving to this one. I'll start over. :-)

It snows about once a decade here in Houston, too. It snowed on Christmas Eve in 2004 - perfect! We got about 1/4 inch. Here's a picture of my big bunny enjoying the snow.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

cheryl,

regarding wet snow.... it's horrible. Luckily, being a housewife... i rarely have to go out ... if it is inclement weather, i just say home, even if it is for days. [oh yeah .... we are expecting high winds too, making it even worse.]

but a lot of people forget how to drive in the snow ... so the first one of the year is usually bad.
slippin' and slidin'
and worse ever if there is a thin coating of ice underneath. they call it "black ice" because you can't see it ... well, nuff of the nastiness -- back to the cute coons.

LOVE that photo of Rupert!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

She had a great time! Maybe too good... The next month I came into the kitchen to find her yelling "SNOW!!" and throwing handsful of flour into the air. (Serves me right for leaving the flour on the counter where she could reach it, I know. At least it wasn't sugar!) I was sweeping up flour for weeks...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH Marylyn .... that is classic!! how fun.
Kids -- ya just gotta love'em.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Ah Marylyn_TX, what a wonderful picture! I can relate...LOL. Temperature here was back up to 75 today and suppose to drop to the 20s again tonight. I've packed away most of my summer clothes, but my bedroom still looks like I'm having a yardsale! LOL Not cold enough for the heavies, but I'm trying to get it organized.
Got my Master Gardener Intern badge and cert on Tuesday and a boat load of volunteer projects to pick from. i signed up for a couple of things working with 1st and 2nd graders. Worms and bugs..that should be a hoot. One of the other ladies and I are going to see if we can organize a Junior MG program for 6th graders. Not much support from the school around here, which rather surprised me, since this is all about educating the public. sigh...
My broccoli and cabbage are going great guns and I'll have some daikon radishes for my veggie tray tommorrow. Love them in stir fry. I'm going to have to break down and buy a couple of row covers. I want to plant more spinach and lettuce and I'm going to have to protect them.
Glad to hear Heidi and the gang are doing well. I really enjoy this thread, thanks for sharing!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Awwwh! Marylyn,

Your big bunny is so adorable! Such a cute little darling. (Nice garden, too) Even with the faux snow all over her she looks like such a little angel. I think that was pretty brilliant of her, to figure out how to make her own snow. Shows ingenuity. Must have been rough on the vacuum though. ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Thanks for the info on snow. I had heard of black ice, only because every couple of years we have a situation where rain collected in low areas on roadways freezes briefly in the overnight hours prompting officials to warn of possible patches of black ice on roadways over night.

I'm glad that you don't have to get out and drive in the snow. I am very much afraid to drive on snow, but since we close the city down when it snows I don't have to drive in it either.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

doccat,

Congratulations on becoming a MG! That's awesome. And, eh-hem, you're making me hungry. Pass the veggie tray. ;-)

Edited because I totally forgot to say, "Thank You" for the compliment. I am so happy to have this opportunity to share the story with such a wonderful group of like-minded people.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2007 7:52 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just when I start to think that by now I have surely seen it all, that from this point on everything will just be a series of repeats, enjoyable repeats to be sure but repeats just the same...

Snowball was there tonight. (KyWoods, I guess he heard you asking about him.) He's more comfortable around me now, so he waddled on out of the brush to eat from on of the stations on Juliet's side. He was alone over there for a while, but eventually Juliet's boy who had been eating from the dish at the back corner of my bench ran out of food and wandered over there to eat with Snowball. There were 3 dishes of food over in Juliet's area, so when the kit went over there, he took a position at a dish about 2 feet away from Snowball.

The 2, Snowball and the kit, ate peacefully for a while. Then I through a handful of peanuts over to the kit. As the kit moved about in pursuit of the peanuts, he ended up with his body realigned so that his head was pointing toward his own food and his rump toward Snowball. The kit was still standing upright as he ate. This new position meant that his back end was less than a foot away from Snowball who was still eating quietly.

Then Snowball lifted his head and turned his long nose toward the kit's back side. Snowball sniffed the kit, and just as I was thinking, "Awwwh, isn't that so sweet?" in a dreamy kind of way, Snowball took a huge bite out of the hind quarter (back of the hind leg just above the knee) of the kit! No he didn't actually remove any flesh or even, thankfully, break skin, but as the opossum moves more slowly than the raccoons, I was actually able to see Snowball bite - not nip - the kit. Opossums have long noses and thus long mouths with lots of teeth, and when Snowball launched this completely unprovoked attack on the kit, his entire mouth rapped around the upper part of the kit's back leg such that the kit's back leg was well up into the corners of Snowball's mouth. Ouch!

The kit let out a holler followed by a growl/snarl combo. There was a very brief struggle then during which Snowball was still hanging on to the hind limb of the raccoon and the raccoon was trying to double back on himself to strike the opossum. At that point everything became a blurr, a big ball of flying, snarling fur which ultimately 'shot' Snowball out of one side. Snowball waddled quickly back into the brush. The kit licked his leg and went back to eating, seemingly non-plussed by the whole thing.

The entire scene made little sense to me. The kit had not behaved in a threatening manner, nor had he attempted to take Snowball's food. The two had been eating quite peacefully for a while. (Maybe Snowball resents that whole 'back in your face' thing that HRH does, and thought the kit was dissing him Just kidding, of course.) The whole thing made even less sense considering the results, Snowball exiled to the veggie patch without additional food. It didn't seem like the kind of smart move one might expect from such an ancient survivor species. (I guess I won't be hand feeding Mr. Snowball - or maybe 'she' is a hormonally challenged Ms Snowball. That might explain things.)

Well, what can I say. Never a dull moment in the garden, at least not when the raccoons and opossums are present. I am certainly getting an opportunity to see things that humans rarely see. Raccoons chasing opossums. Opossums 'sucker punching' raccoons. I feel almost like the proverbial fly on the wall here.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

scut, is there any way you can provide us with a diagram of how your yard is set up? i have trouble picturing it all!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese - Glad you liked the photo. Thanks for the compliment. I just had to get that one in there on one thread before year's end.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

summerkid ... there is a diagram somewhere...... I'll find it and link to it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

summerkid,

I'm so glad you asked. Actually, I did a few such drawing a while back for that very reason. Here is one: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3649405

There are a few more in the same thread, all follow that one. Those were done a while back, so a few things have changed since then - just the locations of the dishes, feeding stations, and raccoons. I'll try to do some quick changes to that one and post again.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Hope you see this before you spend a lot of time looking for it - since I already posted the link. It took me a while to find it. During that time I was thinking of you and how you always seem to know where everything is.

Deridder, LA

Reminds us that after all the "cuteness", they are afterall wild animals and a fact we should never forget.---Dean

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

ops Cheryl.... guess i was searching.....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Dean,

You are raining on our parade. :-)

Yes, they are wild animals. Although it may sometimes appear otherwise, I really haven't forgotten that. And the truth is we can't even be sure what our fellow humans will do from one moment to the next much less 'wild' members of other species.

...but I'm still not going to hand feed the opossums after seeing that move. ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, here is the new and improved Nov 07 version.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is a blowup of Juliet's area showing positions prior to attack. (No laughing. Did I mention I actually sold some 30 or so paintings? If you want me to paint one of these stick figures for you, call me. LOL.)

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Poor li'l 'coon! I guess Snowball suddenly remembered s/he wasn't supposed to be dining with raccoons? I'll bet it was fun to watch before it got violent, though. I do remember seeing a picture of a 'possum with a long row of sharp teeth, and that would not feel good if one bit you. Yikes!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

It really didn't last very long and judging from the reaction of the raccoon, it must have looked much worse than it was. The raccoon just went right back to eating his meal without showing any sign of lasting 'damage'. There was no blood drawn or anything like that. I'm reminded of what I've heard many times about how raccoons have thick skin which is largely impervious to such things.

Although this time the raccoon seemed completely fine afterward, the incident gave me one possible answer as to why some months ago a much younger kit arrived for dinner with a limp! That kit was limping on his hind leg. At the time I remember wondering what might have caused such a thing.

Below (no laughing) is my attempt to show the location where Snowball bit the raccoon. (The pink lines represent the head/mouth of the opossum.) This is actually a pic of one of Heidi's kids eating an egg many months ago.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Before I forget, I'd like to take a moment to wish everyone [who lives in an area where Thanksgiving is celebrated] a very safe, healthy, and happy Thanksgiving Day tomorrow! I hope that you have a wonderful day, that you are able to spend time with your family, [that Aunt Susie doesn't get into an argument with your cousin Joe during dinner this year], and that you are able to remember all of the things you have to be thankful for this year.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks, Cheryl, and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, too! Don't forget to save some turkey for the raccoons! LOL

Cheryl, what a wonderful laugh I have had, and I really am one that doesn't laugh much. Your discription of the goings on of your bunch and Snowball had me in stitches(when I realized the kit was not hurting much).
I have the first toy for my Amazon and we play catch with it alot. I really liked the saucer one as it has all the textures a raccoon might like touching with those sensitive paws.
Doccat ,really 20's tonight here in Fredericksburg? I just took my ferns out from the garage to get some rain tomorrow...burrrrr.
Marylyn, I am loving your Flour Child, That has to be a prize winning picture somewhere. I know it is with you!
Cheryl,I don't think Dean was really trying to rain on our parade. If he has kept up with all the threads he surely must realize there is no way you or any of us has any doubts that they are and always will be wild creatures. He will have read of all the precautions and care you have taken to ensure your safety and have only been there to help in the survival and health of the wildlife in your domain. Also I must mention you have seen things that prehaps no other human has seen in relation to the interactions of the species and maybe someday it will all be recorded and this knowledge will in some way help in the continuation of this species.
Here in Fredericksburg and of course all over there is so much growth and as I passed an area that just last month was wooded and lush with growth is bulldozed to the dirt. Probably 20 0r 30 acres and I almost cried thinking of all the wildlife that is either displaced or dead at this moment . It was a sobering and sad moment(that is still lasting)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, KyWoods,

I'll do that! The kids might prefer the sweet potato souffle. I'll just have to save them a little of everything.

Oh, jschweizer, that is so sad about the bulldozing. We've had so much building here, too, that it worries me that one day we won't live "in the country" anymore! At least we still have our wooded property that we consider a wildlife sanctuary here.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

The kit really didn't appear to have suffered any lasting harm. It was one of those moments when I was just sitting there thinking, "Woa! I can't believe I'm seeing this." Glad you got a chuckle out of it. I didn't mean for people to take it as hard as some seemed to. Considering that Snowball ended up being evicted from the area and the raccoon went right on eating, clearly the raccoon wasn't hurt.

I was just kidding with Dean. That's why I included all of the smiley faces. (Dean, if you're out there, I was actually very glad to hear from you, glad to have you with us.) But it's nice to see that you are concerned. We have such a kind and inclusive group here.

Sorry to hear about the displaced wildlife in your area. Hopefully, they will be able to find new homes. Just think, the food that you have been providing should free up food for a number of animals in your little part of the planet; so you are doing your part to offset the damage. What I mean is, the food in the forest that would have been eaten by the animals that you are now supporting is now available to support some of those displaced by the new development.

Still, from what I've seen the last thing your area (or mine) needs is another development. An area on my way to work has also been cleared recently. It's not as large as the one you mentioned in your area and there is a huge wildlife preserve right across the street so that the displaced animals shouldn't have far to go to find a new home; but they took down a number of lovely old oaks -- to build yet another office complex. With the forest removed, now you get a great view of the factories across town billowing pollution into the lovely blue sky (not in Charleston BTW). I'm reminded of that song, "...paved paradise to put up a parking lot."

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

sorry, hon, i DID laugh at the drawing of the ghostly pink possum.

LOL, me, too, but it got the idea across--thanks, Cheryl!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

You know what is scary, KyWoods?

Around here when developers decided they wanted areas that had been owned by families for 'ever', some areas with large family farms, others with lots of forested area, and one particular area owned by relatively poor and low income people living in modest homes; the cities rezoned, changed the rules, raised the taxes so high that the people could no longer afford to stay. In one of the farm areas I think the citizens fought back and actually won - for now - but that 'poor' area is now a very posh, high end island community. The modest homes have all been demolished, the area completely redesigned and overhauled to make a lovely, quaint little community for the wealthy.

That latter community is very lovely and welcoming now and I love to go there for shopping and coffee, but I really don't approve of the manner in which the people who had owned the land for eons were pushed out to make room for the wealthy.

Oh, boy, don't get me started on this subject...

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, summerkid!

Well, what can I say, I have experience with a paint brush but not with a mouse! Those poor people who purchased my paintings would no doubt be horrified to see those drawings! (You weren't with us for the blue raccoon drawing, were you? It took me a while to live that one down, too.)

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>You weren't with us for the blue raccoon drawing, were you? It took me a while to live that one down, too

ROFL -- those images were hilarious!!

want me to go and find'em ?? **snicker snicker**

actually, i'm off to bed.... obviously long day tomorrow, and im already dreading it. every year i tell myself i'm done with these dinner things .... but alas....

OH, so far the snow hasn't been bad .... it's blowing parallel to the horizon, but the lawn is white. nothing on the roads yet -- my son, who just got home from work said, "It;s like it just rained".

so - hopefully tomorrow there wont be much ... the past decade or so, they always "over predict" then say, "OH, it just missed us." somedays they tell us we are getting 6-8" or so, and we get a dusting.... **rolls eyes**

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Terese

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Whoa, that is really strange: I can't imagine why an opossum would initiate an unprovoked attack on a raccoon, even a young coon; it seems out of character for the species as I've known them and, as you said, not at all an intelligent move. That long snout gives possums an unusually high tooth count (44, maybe?), but they usually are quite passive unless attacked.

You're right, Cheryl, raccoons do have very tough skin, though this is true more of adults than of the kits. They also have an amazingly dense coat, especially at this time of year, that helps protect them. When we used to check the baby raccoons for fleas before sending them to the rehabbers, it was really hard to burrow down to see their skin; and that was just baby coat.

Happy turkey day, everyone (though here it will be ham day)...

Whoa, maybe Snowball has PMS?
jschweizer, I'm out in Spotys, and yeah, it around 27 right now. I threw some old sheets over some of plants, which makes rather interesting yard decor. I'm sure the new neighbors will be a bit startled. LOL I think I know the area you mean that under development, sigh. Like we need more concrete.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Snowball's behavior really did shock me. He has been hanging out with the raccoons for so long now, and I've never seen any indication of aggression from him. They were only about 4-5ft away from me so I had a very good view of everything. If the raccoon had been in a different position I might wonder if he had made some kind of threatening move or 'face' to provoke the attack, but the kit had been standing with his rump toward Snowball for a little while prior to the attack. The kit seemed very much engrossed in eating peanuts. To all indications the whole thing surprised the kit as much as it did me.

The only thing I could think of to even start to explain this is that all summer Snowball has been hanging out over there in the veggie patch for cover. Then a while back I moved Juliet (and her kids) over there to separate them from Heidi and her kids - mostly to stop Juliet and Diva from attacking Heidi's kids back when the kids were small. Once I moved Juliet over there, she (and her kids) started hanging out in the veggie patch, too - and you know what an obnoxious attitude Juliet has (and Diva, too, for that matter) - and we've all 'seen' how the kids quickly learned to imitate their moms, especially while the moms were nearby.

All summer long Juliet could be heard over there (under cover of the veggie patch) snarling and spitting and attacking Snowball. That was a nightly event. I used to wonder who she was 'killing' over there since she and her kids were the only ones in the veggie patch; then I realized it was Snowball. Since they were in the dense vegetation I don't know if the kids ever got in on that action - attacking Snowball.

I wonder if Snowball may have held a grudge - since the kit he attacked was Juliet's son. Or maybe during all of those nightly scirmishes he just learned to be aggressive around them (and by them I mean Juliet's bunch) - just for self defense. I clearly saw Snowball sniff the raccoon before attacking it - double checking it's ID maybe?

Other than that, I don't know what to think. I've seen him eat quite peacefully around Heidi and her kids for some time now. If anything he appeared rather timid - well, except for that one time when he walked up to eat out of Heidi's dish while she was there. Maybe, being such a small 'runt' Snowball learned to be a bit aggressive in order to survive? Oh, no, could Snowball be rabid? (I should add, BTW, that although the raccoon he bit was a kit, the kits are all roughly the same size as the adults now - just to make sure we all have the same image of what happened.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Happy Ham Day, Ruth!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Happy Ham Day

LOL -- I'm actually doing both.

interesting about the attack ..... could be "payback" for all the times he was 'knocked around' by Juliet and kids.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.