Anne of Green Gables/Avon Lea

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

I don't know if these films have been discussed in this forum before, or not.

I'm referring to the series produced by Kevin Sullivan and starring Megan Follows, Colleen Dewhurst, and a host of really good Canadian actors/actresses which came out (I believe) in the late 80's and early 90's.

In grade school we had to read the book by L.M. Montgomery but it was pretty much a "girl's book"...so it didn't interest me much at the time...

However, someone recently loaned me the DVD collection of the first two films and I thoroughly enjoyed them and have watched them twice. Everything about them is (IMHO) SUPERB: The acting, scenery, story line, costumes, characters etc...

Some people may find them to be saccharine, or too "trite", but I found them to be highly outstanding for their testimony to the human spirit of a child, as well as a "feel good" retrospective of a time when values and morals were held in higher regard.

I highly reccommend them to anyone who enjoys "period films" and anything with traditional morals and sentiment.

Anyone care to comment on them...or the series which ran following the films
(which I haven't seen yet...) ?

This thread has 51 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!