CLOSED: CLOSED: Home Basics Strainer

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Will trade this Home Basics strainer for everyday dishes, Corelle, etc. unusual perennial plants. You make an offer, I will consider. This strainer has several metal attachments, where anything from tomatoes to grapes can be processed. Canning time is not that far away. Just think how quickly you can make that bushel of tomatoes disappear, well not disappear, but be processed!!

Thumbnail by defoecat

Bumping this up. I can't believe anybody who cans wouldn't want to have this as one of their time saving utensils. I am downsizing, and need to let this go.

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Me neither Bonnie, I have one of these already or I would be snapping it up!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I already have one of these and it is the neatest thing!! I can make a bushel of tomatoes into juice in nothig flat!!! I bought the attachment for making grape juice and that didn't work well for me...my seeds always plugged it up. But I'll give it a whirl again this year.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

defoecat, do you still have this? Do they separate the tomatoes into 3 piles of pulp/juice, skin and seeds? I have an Oxo food mill but it doesn't handle volume well and needs to be cleared out frequently while grinding the tomatoes.

At the moment the only perennials I have to trade are some New Zealand Iris http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54302/
I may have some lovely red canna lilies with chocolate foliage - not entirely sure, I'll have to dig around the bulbs and check their growth.

Otherwise what other kitchen equipt. are you after?

wgnkwiwi, since it is winter here, I can't plant anything until about late April or early May. If you want the strainer, you could fulfill your end of the bargain when I am able to plant, if you want. I have some "rain lilies" that look like the iris. I would love some poppies, as I have never had any luck with starting them from seed. Cana's also do well here.

The strainer is about a $60.00 value, so put together a list of some things, and we will talk about it.

Bonnie

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

WGNkiwi. I am not sure about Defoe's but mine takes the seeds and skin together out the side and the pulp goes the other way.

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

yup. that's how mine works too

Yes, that is how it works. Really neat.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

I can see that if I want to be a serious canner I NEED one of these food mills LOL

I looked up Rain Lilies - very pretty! Poppies have always been the bane of my garden so I've given up trying to grow them. They are one of those plants that I admire in other peoples gardens, buy, plant and rip out in frustration. I will put my thinking cap on and see what i can come up with. Do you like phormiums?

I have never heard of them, looked in plant files, and couldn't find it. Maybe another name, provide a link?

Since they are not hearty to this zone, I don't think that will do. Thanks anyway.

Burlingame, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, that zone thing always messes me up. The only other plant I have in my garden that will be hardy to your area is a variegated Hydrangea which I could try and root cuttings from. Otherwise I will have to bow out.

I have them, sorry that this didn't work out though. Good chatting with you.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I can't believe I didn't see this sooner -- and I can't believe the offer is still open! :-)

I've borrowed one of these from a friend and liked it a lot. I have a really big food mill that I also love, but I like the strainer better for some things.

I will put my thinking cap on and see what I have that you might be interested in. I'm sure we can work something out! I'll Dmail you. :-)

defoecat,

I have grape scented irises, blue balloon flower, and blazing star liatris. I would be able to send you quite a few of these. Would they tempt you?

Kim

Oh, Kim, I should mark this closed. Critterologist and I worked out a trade. So sorry that you didn't make it here sooner, I would love any of what you offered.

Maybe we can work something out later. I can like a maniac, and garden like one as well.

Kim

Sure will keep you in mind, I am also a gardener and a canner. So why am I surprised to meet someone just like me on a gardening site?

LOL!!

Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.