November 21st, 2007: Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis) by hczone6

The Bloom of the Day for November 21st, 2007 was Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis).

View the bloom of the day here: http://davesgarden.com/bloom.php?date=2007-11-21

Jermyn, PA(Zone 4b)

I have this cactus it is about 70 plus years old it was my Grandfathers and it is in my will but I am always trying to find it a home in the event of my death I am 54 now and I have had it all my life any ideas how might be interested in this plant that just keeps living and growing see enclosed pic it is about 3 plus feet across and blooms when it wants to or not it varies have got to build a new room on the house for it next year.

Thumbnail by cathudog
Springville, IA

cathudog,
I have one also, but mine is not as large as it has suffered a few accidents over the years! It was my maternal grandmother's, then it was my Dad's. When he passed away I got it. and yes it blooms when it feels like it, but mostly in the fall. Mine is now covered with buds.

Jermyn, PA(Zone 4b)

I have been withholding water all of Nov to see if I can get it to flower around Christmas this one got frosted once back in 1976 and lost all but the wood at the base and it came back to what it is today. I transplant about every 10 years or so ago I am going to build a room someday for it but the final place of its residence in the event of my death sometime in the future has yet to be determined. I have started and given away so many over the years I love to here from the people who have its offspring and how there's is doing. The worst thing I tell people is over watering and to much sunlight. Thanks for the reply

(Zone 1)

Love the Eastern Redbud tree. I have a very small one I planted in my yard a couple of years ago and it's not doing much .... very slow growing. It did bloom last spring and was pretty ... I need to feed this tree so it will grow!

p.s. I got confused seeing posts regarding a cactus plant here on this thread. I'm not sure what happened - gremlins in the system? Did these posts jump here from the cactus & succulent forum? That is a Beautiful Cactus .... any idea what the name is on it? I would love to see it in bloom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.