Help ID This Bean

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I ordered Bean - Bush Snap Regal Salad from Sandhill and I don't think that's what I got. The beans started vining (not a thing bush beans do often) and I'm now on my 2nd set of poles so they can keep going up! They're very pretty deep purple vines with purple flowers. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,
Flip

Thumbnail by aries44
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

They do look like a pole bean, not showy enough for a runner bean. While the Regal Salad approaches half runner status, it is more bushy then shown. If I had to guess, I would say the old Pole Purple Pod, assuming the bean pods are purple of course.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Thanks, FD. Once these beans produce, I'll send out another pic and perhaps we'll get a more positive ID. This isn't the first time I've got seeds differing from what was advertised.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If you have any of the dried beans, a pic may help also.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

OK - here's a pic of the final product - surely not regal salad bush bean.

FD - do these look like the Old Purple Pods?

Thumbnail by aries44
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Not exactly, the Henry Field's version that I grew is more oval and not as long and slender as yours appear. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/162872/ Here are some possibilties. http://www.territorial-seed.com/stores/1/Violet_Podded_Stringless_P184C25.cfm http://www.uharvest.ca/zenstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I check the attached links and the closest one would be the Trionfo Violetta. The beans I picked look more like snap beans than the flatter pole beans I'm used to seeing. Oh well. Now to see how they taste.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

By the way, the Kentucky Wonders have done really well this season - been pulling them in like this for a few weeks - still a lot of beans on the tops (bottoms of the vines are pretty ragged now). When they're finished, we'll do some of Red's Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry Pole Beans.

Thumbnail by aries44
Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Flip,

Glad to see you've still got some of my Uncle Walt's Vermont Cranberry Pole Beans going! For the first time, this year I tried letting some dry and baking them. Delicious, although not as good as shell beans. I planted 50 poles this year (2007) so I had plenty to dry. ☺

Red

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I researched Sandhill's bean choices and the only beans they have that are purple are Regal Salad and Royalty Purple Pod - they were both listed as bush snap beans -
Regal Salad: 55 days. Large, sprawling bush. Purple pods in various shades. A more slender version of Royalty Purple Pod. Developed by Dr. Meader.
Royalty Purple Pod: 53 days. Good yields, turn from purple to vibrant green when cooked. Very good taste.
I guess maybe I do have Regal Salad and their categorization? was off??
FDill - should I sumbit a pic to the Plantfiles and let the experts chase this one down?

Hey Red - yes, I do have a good amount of seeds of your great pole bean. I've grown them twice and saved seed both times (as I will again this year). A really vigorous grower and quite tasty steamed, buttered and salt and peppered. OK, I got a really dumb question or two - what's a shell bean and how are they prepared? and when you bake these same beans are you actually baking the dried seeds from the pod?
I've never had my pole beans turn out edibles like these. I just cook the whole pod.

Flip

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Flip. Dr Elwyn Meader of the University of New Hampshire was the original developer of Royalty Purple Pod as well as many other things. Regal Salad seems to be rare but may be alternate name for Royal Burgundy, which is also an improved Royalty. Meader is deceased, but the U of NewHampshire may be able to shed some light on the subject. While these cultivars do have big sprawling vines, no way could thay emulate a pole bean. They are are not close to as viny as a half runner. While it would not hurt to post in the Plant ID forum, you might want to try to contact Glen Downs at Sandhill. Sometimes he takes a suppliers word and consequently misslabels.

As a side note, Shellie beans usually refer to green shell beans. Back in Virginia these were very popular, Horticultural/Cranberry types marketed as October beans. They were mostly cooked in the same manner as green limas and southern peas. Since moving south I find I like Crowder peas better in that slot and rarely grow them anymore.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
As a side note, Shellie beans usually refer to green shell beans.

Flip,

I let them mature until the shells start to get soft but not dry. Shell them out of their pods, and simmer them with a little water until soft. Salt, pepper and butter, ummm, good! When canning, I can in pints, cover beans with water, add a 1/2 teaspoon salt, and process with a pressure canner. Then you just have to heat them up, they're already fully cooked.

When baking them, take the dried beans from the pod, soak them overnight and bake them as you would any dried baking bean. I have a good recipe if you need one, give me a shout.

Red

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.