Phygelius is after your WHOLE garden and the neighbour's too

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Do I regret ever planting phygelius! After I decided I had too much of it I tried to rip it out, only to discover it had sent out runners across, underneath the path!!! No way I can pull it all out, there are runners on their way to Russia!!!!

AAAArgh!

Christie

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Which one do you have? I've grown several different cultivars of Phygelius x rectus, and they've all been very well behaved. My garden is semi-xeriscape though and I don't water it a ton, that may make a difference too.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't remember.... Yellow and red, rather tall plant, 3 to 4 feet if you let it grow.
Yes, it got regular water here....

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Do you know if it was a named cultivar or a straight species? Sometimes some of the hybrids are better behaved. And there are a couple different Phygelius species too, the cultivars of x rectus are the most common at garden centers, but depending on where you got yours it could be something different too.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Got it at my local garden center, 2 years ago. It was called Phygelius something.... Not much help, am I?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh well, guess I'll just have to hope mine don't end up the same way after a few years! I love Phygelius because they're pretty and have such a long bloom period, and I had never heard about anyone here having problems with them before.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Dig your fingers in 1 inch around the plant, and see if any runners are escaping. They go far!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.