Orchid Time in NJ

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I am not good with orchids because I tend to forget them and do not do well with propagation. I do however have a few that refuse to give up on me and here is one. The Dendrobium Burana Blue x Medy Red. Why it survives I have no idea but there are three of these and they are just beginning to bloom now. Pretty little flowers.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Just beautiful! Do you keep them outside in the summer? I live in what is suposed to be the best climate for orchids and yet I manage to kill nearly everyone I have...

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Yes Braveheart, I throw them out as soon in April that I can. They get no attention, no food or nothing when they are outside. I do love them, but I seem to forget to take care of them like I do when they are in the greenhouse. I was about to feed them and put them to bed for the winter when these guys started to bloom. Oh well, what do I know? I only paid a few dollars for them at Home Depot when they were all half price and done blooming. I had no idea what they would look like. I brought them home and the next year they started to bloom....the others died....these never even got the mealy bug the others got...I tell you, they are a hearty stock. I have now decided I will try and take better care of them. Now you can be sure they will die. That hurts me to think that. :)

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

That is beautiful! Good Luck with it!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

IslandShari wrote an article on orchids a few weeks ago. Just go to "Articles" and you will find it. Wish I had the nerve to try them. Itimidated by orchids.

LouC

LouC. don't be intiminated by orchids. They are some of the easiest things to grow! I have about 35 plants, mabe more, & have 7 blooming now. I have posted them on the Orchid Forum.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Rene. Might be another challenge.

Christi

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Rene....I did not see an Orchid Forum, sorry, I would not have put this here had I. I will look for it again and not make the same mistake twice. I would love to keep that among one of my favorite places.

Please don't stop posting your beautiful orchids here too, we love them as well!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey Braveheart, you twisted my arm. I am easy to get along with. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving.

There is an orchid forum. I spend a lot of time there, but I don't know how to link to it I am tech challenged!

This message was edited Nov 20, 2007 4:53 PM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Rene, go to the orchid thread (or any other you want to link). highlight the address in the browser line, go to edit and select copy. Back to the thread where you want to put a link. right click and select paste. When you hit send Dave's software automatically sets it as a link. Someone else had to teach me.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Orchids are tropical gardening!!!!!!!!!! They belong here!!!!! :0)

Yea Jeanne - you go girl!
Note to self - got to go over to Orchids forum to check it out. Hope you did find Shari's article JB, she has some beauties!

O K I'm convinced! LOL Here are some pics. These are blooming now!!! # 1 Carved coral Catt.

Thumbnail by

# 2 A noid

Thumbnail by

# 3 Lemon chiffon Catt.

Thumbnail by

A large purple Catt.

Thumbnail by

A Purple & red catt. It has been open over a month.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2007 2:32 PM

Thumbnail by

Another Pulple one!

Thumbnail by

And finally a pic of my Garlic vine in bloom. I also grow daylilys, Amaryllas, & Hybrid Hibiscus. Lorine

Thumbnail by
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Whew! I finally made it in here today. This morning the server went down just as I was trying to come in this thread and look at orchids. Great pics!!

I'm gonna get an unusual amarlyis next week at work. It is a minature one but has thin blooms instead of the big ones. It looked neat.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Lorine, those are absolutely gorgeous! I definately want to do some orchids later.

We are in the middle of a thunderstorm so should shut down.

Keep the pics coming! Love 'em!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Beautiful flowers....I am jealous.....I would love to grow some of those babies. Have a great day everyone. Later.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi folks! Just wanted to drop a "thank you" for all the beautiful orchid pics. I do love them. My white dendrobium finally bloomed while I was on vacation. What a lovely sight to come home to! Christi darlin, I have told you do NOT let them intimidate you. Very easy and forgiving plants...really!

Thumbnail by Islandshari

Rene, your orchids are just beautiful! I'm with LouC, orchidly challenged!

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

You lucky lucky people in the tropical climates. The flowers are beautiful an to look at them and all those blooms makes me want to cry. I do love orchids but I have yet to find one I will not eventually kill.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Lovely pictures! I really enjoy them, keep them coming! A true inspiration. Maybe mine will bloom someday!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh all these pics are so gorgeous!!! I too, am intimidated by orchids.
Often thought I would like to try them though.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

They really are much easier than many plants I have. Tend to be forgotten about until they bloom, and then I feel so guilty for not having paid more attention. But I shouldn't, these are one of those, kill 'em with kindness sort. They really do thrive when just left to their own devices.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ohhh pretty Shari! Well...it's good to know that they thrive on neglect. Maybe this next year I will try one or two...or three....LOL!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Please do! I am all for more orchids in this world! But be careful, they are very habit forming!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Oh my....you just keep enticing me...:))

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Those are gorgeous, Shari! Very Nice! So far the one I got at Lowe's is hanging in there. It did have some damage to one of it's leaves, so I cut if off. So far the rest of it is OK.

This is a picture of the damage:

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

That is what we call a "sunspot"...looks like it was reflected on or something while it was at the store. I just take those off as well, never seems to hurt the plant.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

OoooooH Good! Thank you so very much for your input! It is sincerely appreciated! I am so glad to know it will be OK!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.