It's Official .. We've Had A Killing Frost.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

When I got up this morning and looked out into the back yard there was no doubt we had a killing frost .. everything was dusted with frost. In less than a few minutes, when the sun hit the brugmansia, they started to collapse.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Just got back from a trip outside to inspect my garden.It is strange but wonderful that nothing has been damaged by the temps.I think that being close to the beach adds a few degrees.You are farther south,so I would think that it would be warmer but we seem to be a bit warmer in winter and a bit cooler in summer.

My front garden is all under live oak so even the coleus is still fine.

Some of my hibiscus are in the gh but others are still outside in pots in shadier area.

Talk about micro climates!

By the way; I visited the international center for birds of prey yesterday.It was really worth the trip.It will open to the public in April and is now only opened for educational groups.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Yep. The last of my coleus, petunias bit the dust. And my elephant ears, specially colocasia illustris: done. :(
I had to cannas still blooming, and they looks a bit pekid, but may live to freeze another night.
Deb

Xeramtheum- may I ask how did you get your photos posted side by side like that? I've been looking for a way to post pics that way you did but unsure of how to. Thanks.

rebecca30

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I did a series of photography lessons on the MG forum. Here is the one you want.

http://www.xeramtheum.com/Gourd3.htm

There are links to previous lessons at the bottom of the page.

X

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

the frost has done some of mine in and others seem happy with the cold. i have a few brugs still going in the cold and last night didnt faze them then some i had to whack off and cover with pine straw. always wacky weather here.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I never cut down my brugs until after January because of the whacky weather. The reason is that by cutting them back, if the branches toward the ground are still viable, cutting them back will encourage new growth. Something you don't want to happen. By waiting until the branches are extremely dead and dry, you don't run into that problem and come Spring, the new growth will be stronger and healthier.

X

X- invaluable info! I will have to play more with this lesson and software on Sunday. Thanks soo much for the link. :o)

r30

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.