Yippy Skippy I've Got Hot Compost!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Went out to turn the pile this morning. Columns of steam rose from it as I turned. Placed my hand on the pile and wowee, nice and hot! I'm excited about my compost! I knew only you guys here would understand such emotional outbursts....

Our temp was 45 F this morning outside, brrrrr nice and chilly!

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

WOOHOO, go gurl! Good stuff cooking, black gold on the way!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Not only do I know the feeling, but practise it often.My back yard neighbor is a cop, and said, "if I didn't know better, I'd think you were into more than compost".What could be better than improved compost? Mike

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Ain't it fun?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I understand completely! For me it was very exciting to feel that first heat and know I had succeeded in creating the right environment for all those wonderful little microbes to work their magic.

Seward, AK

Now, to test the temperature, just get one of those meat thermometers (Looks like a large meat fork) that has the buttons on the side. Then dig your hole in the middle of the hottest part and stick that fork in and watch the temp climb up! Here in Alaska, I've gotten mine to 156F, but that's in the warmest part of summer, when the outside temp is 55F to 60F. I like that type of thermometer because it only costs about $7 to $9 and are very accurate. (remember to bring it in out of the rain to make it last longer.)
Carol

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

congrats!

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

Carol, thanks for the tip on using a meat thermometer. I looked up compost thermometers and went into severe sticker shock!

Seward, AK

Zany, so did I, isn't that ridiculous?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

It sure is! I can't understand why they priced them so high unless it is because they think gardeners are all growing money trees in the compost bin.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

I'm glad I bought mine a long time ago when they were very reasonable.
With the extra length, they are handy, though.

Seward, AK

So, MiniPony, what's the temp?

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I have been wondering if I soldered a long aluminum rod to the stem of meat thermometer if it would read the temps deeper in the pile.

Seward, AK

Zany, I think the stuff on the bottom is already done, but I wonder the same thing, except that I know if I kept piling on and layering as fast as I could, the heat would continue to rise and even spread outward since I was continuing the heating process and insulating what was below, also. Also don't know the dynamics of the exposed tips of fork or Compost thermometers, whether the heat sensing capabilities are only at the exposed tip, and if so, would you have to insulate your addition to it's tip.
Carol

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi ceead..
I don't have a thermometer for getting the temp at this time!

However, its still hot today. It "feels" at least 135 F. We have a blanket warmer at work (surgery dept), and it feels at least as hot as the setting on the blanket warmer.

I wonder if the cooler temperatures outside enhance the heatability of the compost in any way?

This was my first true attempt to "try" to get it to heat up. I kept adding plant trimmings and fresh manure and used potting soil to the pile....and turned it regularly. I was excited to find that I was actually able to make it heat up. What is funny, is that after a couple of days of heat, the pile appears visibly shorter.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

After layering the stuff I had with new browns and greens and then adding alfalfa too yesterday ,My pile is Hot again. In fact I can feel the heat on the surface without sticking my hand in it ! According to my meat thermometer it is 150 degrees farenhieght 6 inches below the surface and it is hotter that that lower in the pile I'm sure! Once I get a layer of finished compost on the bottom I will turn it so the cooked stuff is on top and plant it with a cover crop of common vetch and peas for the rest of it's cycle to help fix the nitrogen in the mix since the redwood needles are so acidic. Then I'll let nature take it's cource for 4-6 months and see what I have when I dig in the covercrop.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, so how did you do it. I've done everything and mine just won't get hot!!! I'm in Gilmer too

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I just layered the browns about 4 inches thick and then a 4 inch layer of grass/alfalfa pellets, watering it down good with each layer and kept alternating them. Then I took the pitch fork and dug into it with a twist every couple of ft. to mix them just a little to prevent the greens from creating a waterproof mat and checked it for heat and moisture today. The needles tend to dry fast so I used the watering wand on it again and then waited a couple of hours to stick the thermometer into it. Those little microbes are doing all the work now!

Seward, AK

Yes, Mini, being cooler outside sure makes it seem a lot warmer, but you sound experienced in "the feel" for the temp, since you work in a field which sensitizes you to it. I'm sort of a compost buff since I live in Alaska and have earned the status of "compost expert" up here, but many things I have learned can help you. One is that haveing a plentiful access to straw, dry, fluffy, shiny, clean straw is my main compost incubator. If you surround your compost with it, for instance if you have a bin, put leaves (horse and livestock people know what a leaf of hay or straw is) of straw around the whole outside as you build up your pile. It insulates it, keeps an oxygen layer all around it and keeps the moisture in it. (I also layer straw every 3 to 4 inches between layers of what every your other materials are. It breaks down with the rest of the compost, introducing an air layer that would otherwise compact down and oxygen is one of the main componants of the composting process. When you have your pile as high as you can get it for the year, put another layer of straw, (about 6 to 8 inches) on top to keep your "incubator" nice and protected from drying and continueing the process as long as possible until winter just shuts it down until spring. And yes, the pile will shrink as you make that "black gold."
Carol

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Carol,
Thanks for the information!
Actually, I have 25 miniature horses (and one geriatric full sized horse), so I have an abundance of horse poop and the pine shavings we use in their stalls! That has been the main ingredients of my compost. All these years, we have used the stall cleanings and poop to fill in low areas on our property. I finally decided to create a compost pile earlier in the year, and here we are! My first success with heat.

My next pile is going to contain leaves (which I'll have to obtain, since we live on a hay meadow) and some old leftover hay that is not fit for the horses to eat. Then, I'll add horse poop and other ingredients as I collect it! I think that will do well.

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

When we were out collecting bags of leaves on Saturday, I saw a sign for Rabbits for Sale. I'm going to stop by and check it out, because if there are rabbits, there is poop!

WOOHOO, wtg Cathy4. We use to keep New Zealands and their poop is great for the garden. The neighbor in the back had a hissy, but he couldn't do a thing, this area was zone agricultural at that time. The county officer thought he was some kind of nut. LOL

Seward, AK

Mini, that sounds great! Horse manure layered with the leftover hay (just as good as straw (except for the seeds still in it, but the grain you feed your stock will have as much or more of those seeds) and leaves and I'm hearing on these threads recently that alfalfa cubes (wetted down) layered in will start some heat right away, add nitrogen and in general a great heater-upper!
Yep, your extra left-over hay will be just a lucky fortune for your compost venture.
Also, do you have threads on the Equine Forum? I've always wanted Mini horses and Mini Donkeys, but that's a youngster's hobby and I'll just dream.
Carol

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi ceead,
Thanks for the encouragement.
No, I don't visit the equine forum. Gardening has been my favored activity this year. I still love the horses, but I need to scale down the horse activities. I just don't have time to do it all.
Laura

MiniPonyFarmer, could you be coaxed into showing us some pics of your horses? I love the minis they are so lovely.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Here you go!
http://www.minibreeders.com/lauraleesminiatures/index.htm

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

Where would I find alfalfa pellets? Are they used as a feed? My compost is kind of lackadaisacal, would alfalfa maybe give it punch and help get it going? I don't have access to any kind of poop at this point (we're pretty new here, and I haven't made contact with any farmers in the area yet).
Those ponies sure are cute MiniPonyFarmer!!!!!!!! Working with them must be a joy!

Thank you so much for sharing, they are just beautiful! I wanna pet em!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you thea and doc!

thea you can find alfalfa at any feed store. It comes in pellets, cubes, bales, and bags shredded. Costs around 9-10 bucks per bag here.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

thea611, the alfalfa pellets are sold as pet/livestock feed so any pet store or feed store should have them. They are usually less expensive at a feed supply than a city type pet store though.

MiniPonyFarmer, love those ponies! There is a guy not far from here that raises them and I always enjoy watching them when the get frisky and start running and playing out in the fields.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8b)

I just thought of something.....oftentimes feed stores have damaged sacks or feed that has mildewed or gotten bad. I'd bet you could take those for free if you ask!

Ummmmm those ponies ARE available, you know!

Oh my, I am tempted, but I don't have enough area for them.

Well, Laura - anytime you want to come over and shake up the Equine forum, you're so welcome - we've been pretty slow there over the past month (that's kinda my home base).

Those foal pics are incredible! *sigh*....

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

I love this thread - that happy dance over making dirt - excellent!!

Laurie1, too right! Making black gold is fun!

I started a new bin yesrerday, of leaves weeds, and my spent garden plants.The tomato vines were mors water than mass, but pepers, and okra gave me volum.Speaking of dance, the monkeys were really jumping this morning.For those of you that haven't experienced this, its the heat excaping, making me sorry I didn't cover it last night, but need to add more today.Mike

Monkeys???

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

hmmmmm.........I haven't seen any monkeys in mine, what do I need to add?

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Is this the result of adding too much coffee grounds to the pile?

No, when your pile(hot), begins to work, the heat from the pile will rise rapidly from the top of your compost, and on a cool morning the heat resembles a lot of jumping monkes, the way it appears with a squigllie motion on a cool morning.Therfore with a cover over the pile you really get it hot enough to kill weed seeds etc.I have put the thermomiter in an uncovered pile that read 140 degrees, and same pile , after covering it would read 160 degrees.Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.