New member..beakerlj...from Galien, Mi...

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi...there...Beakerlj...glad you found our bestest garden web site there is..hehehe...Just step right up and tell us about you. Dig right in...Many nice Michiganders..here...Any question just ask...Enjoy your stay...

Smiles..Diana

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi Beakerlj nice to have you here Where is Galien ?? never heard of it
Gloria

Galien, MI

Hi Gloria and Diana, thanks for the welcome! I live just a few miles from the Indiana border, so in the very most SW corner of Michigan. This past year I've been learning loads about plant propagation in different forms. After being a longtime reader of Daves Garden, I finally took the plung and joined. I love the sharing of info, and figured I would be saving myself a bunch of gray hairs by joining! LOL

Nice to feel welcomed. That was unexpected. :-)
Sincerely,
LJ Jackson
zone 5a

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well your going to love it here !!!!!!!!! I had a wonderfull time last winter on here it was my first year I learned a lot and laughed alot I think the lack of sun and green just sets these people off LOL great fun !!!!!!!!!
Gloria

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Hey LJ welcome to the best garden site ever
If you need anything just ask if i cant help someone else will be able too!

My sis use to live down coldwater way-you by that? or further closer to new buffalo?
Indiana great state-John Mellencamp!!!!!!(my idol)
have fun
dori

This message was edited Nov 18, 2007 9:53 AM

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Aw, you are close to me...only about...about 35 miles..to Coldwater We go down that way alot..there are outlets..not too far from there..we go a couple of times a year..hehehehe...I like "Big Dogs" hehehe...fun...We are about..8 miles..west of the Michigan International speed way.. on US 12.....Really glad you came..to chat here...And as NotMartha..says..just ask..hehehe...and we all can share...lol...I have been in this chat for 6 + years..and I am still learning..hehehe...

Again...welcome... Smiles..Diana...

Galien, MI

Too wierd! I'm on US 12, also, but near New Buffalo. Yea, the winter can be frustrating for gardeners. I'm brushing up on my red japanese maple seedling propagation, though, so that should keep me busy. I'm conducting a few experiments on them. I focus mostly on bush and tree propagation. Did my first root propagation last spring on quivering aspen trees, and got a really bad case of winter poison ivy. Couldn't type for days! I had been a little arogant about it when my gloves broke, though, so have no one to blame but myself. I wasn't completely sure those underground vines were PI when I was trying to get to the aspen roots. Sigh.

Jerome, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh...yes..PI...wowow..my son gets it all year round..We have so many tree's here..wowow...no sun to speak of...great in the summer time..so much shade..for the heat...but now we pay..for sure..so many leaves..to rake...

Well stay away from the PI...Nice to have you here..with us...

Smiles...Diana...

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi to LJ!
from wigglypaw farm in North Hastings, by Freeport,
closer to Grand Rapids, Caledonia, Alaska right here.

we grow gourmet garlics, meat chickens, bio fuels,
wheat, wood lot, percheron horses, pugs, rescue Mastiffs
i sell wedding gowns out of my house too! and go to college
for art now.
i sew and paint and love to cook my most fave is to make
friends here on DG and talk about gardens and listen to
others talk about their gardens.
sheri

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Beakerlj !

Welcome to the Michigan forum at Daves. I'm sorry I'm late greeting you. I just saw this thread. I take it you probably hang out a lot in the tree forum since you are propagating trees. That's cool that you can start your own Japanese Maple trees. They are one of my favorites. Sorry to hear you got winter poison ivy. I've never heard of that. Hope you don't get into any of that again.

Hope to see you around lots. Winter is hard so we have to come here and gab and dream about 2008 gardens. :)

Brenda

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

LJ
So, nu? What do you do with all those propagated babies?

Do you sell to nurseries?
I am looking for different var of Jap maples. I love a multicolor
one, thin leaved multi colored, also a hot green full moon.

I saw the most amazing sight one time. I was just glancing out
a window, I was on the second floor, Maple height. It was I guess
time for the noses to fall. But, they were falling at about a zillion per
second, and more and more were coming. it must've been like
fish spawning or stars in the sky there were so many. I have never
forgotten that sight.
Sheri

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Welcome!!!!

Cindy

Galien, MI

Thanks for the welcomes! Yea, I am checking out the Japanese Maple forums a lot, and the propagation forums. I'm still learning about the tree propagation and seedlings. I hadn't realized how clueless I was about them before! Which ones come true to seed, which don't, how hard it is to get some seeds to sproat, varieties I had never heard of, etc. Absolutely mindboggling.

I did get reasonably good at propagating shrubs this year, though, and sold hundreds to wholesalers. This winter is an experiment in what will survive with the least amount of effort. Anything in my garden has to be able to fend for itself for long stretches. LOL

Sheri - it sounds like you stay very busy! And the horses give you 'free' garden fertilizer! It sounds lovely there.
Lisa

La Salle, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi LJ, Welcome!

You will have to post some pictures of your babies.

Connie

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

do you do non gmo or hybrid seedlings?
I use to work upstate NY at a monks retreat, we cloned
colour in Cyclamen. My job was to tp all the teeny little
babies into cells from the gels. It was so quiet and cool.
That was one of my favorite jobs.

do you work with patents? Arent' they a pain! Every seedling
has to be accounted for and the money paid over to use it.
Too bad nature can't grow these guys on for us in flats and
cells one per. LOLOL

Keep well
hope your snow isn't too deep!
sher

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.