DAILY PICS VOL. 32

Cambria, CA(Zone 10a)

OK, I really tried to get some pictures today but they all came out sucky. So here's an oldie but goody to start this thread. I haven't seen these guys at the new house and miss them very much.

Thumbnail by stellapathic
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

adel, my friend carried a big stick too, and bear is no more.

wallaby, your photos are getting better all the time. Love those pheasants! I've never seen them here, though I know they're around. I do have occassional turkeys, grouse and quail.

Marlton, NJ

Stella, Wonderful pic! Thanks for starting the new thread!

Las Cruces, NM

My scaled quail came back for dinner tonight. It looks like she's found a new home with my Gambels Quail (hooray!) I hope she sticks around.

I read where the two species will sometimes cross breed. I can wait until spring to see what happens if she does breed with a Gambels. Will the chicks have topknots like the Gambels amd scales like her? That would be an awesome combination; but only time will tell.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 8:38 PM

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

My camera makes a tiny chirping sound as it autofocuses. Every time it chirped, this little gal looked around curiously. Here she is in a more upright stance.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

Wonderful picture Stella and thanks for starting this new thread. I love quail and don't know how anyone could eat these poor little guys. I was comparing your California Quail to our Gambel's Quail. They look very similar; but the California seems a bit darker gray and the head is a more muted rust color.

Klamath River, CA

While sorting old pics I found these I took on my last trip to the Klamath Basin. Need I.D.

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

? House Sparrow.

This message was edited Nov 15, 2007 9:24 PM

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Klamath River, CA

??

Thumbnail by adelbertcat
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

Swan Goose or Chinese Goose Anser cygnoides

Marlton, NJ

Hi adel

First little ones a male House Sparrow, second a female House Sparrow.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Look who decided to use the screen platform instead of hang upside down.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

You talkin' to ME?

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
While sorting old pics I found these I took on my last trip to the Klamath Basin. Need I.D

Domesticated Chinese Geese, escaped from a farm somewhere. Poultry, not birds!!

Yep, male and female House Sparrows for the next two.

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Cute pics Mrs Ed!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thanks tigerlily, they say practice makes perfect, but a little luck and good weather do help!

I love the quails with their strange plume on the head, and the scale quail is very pretty.

adelbert, the geese look like birds to me, lol. Very pretty too.

No pheasants today, it was heavy cloud with a few small patches of blue until later, then just pure dull.

I did get some new birds on the oak tree at the end of the hedge, but they were very dark so I had to lighten them, and they were high up.

I don't know what this one is, there were many blue tits and long tailed tits flitting around the tree, and a Mistle Thrush on top. I got some of a long-tailed tit too, poor pics but the first I have got of them.

It has a yellow patch on the wing, and some yellow on the breast.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

"

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Long-tailed tit

Thumbnail by wallaby1

View 2

Thumbnail by wallaby1

View 3

Thumbnail by wallaby1

View 4

Thumbnail by wallaby1

After they all left there was another bird, couldn't see what it was and the pic was very dark, Ilightened it and found it was a Bull Finch! I've only ever seen once here once, it's on the Red List which means it is endangered.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Rear end

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Coming back I was fortunate to see a magpie glide from the tree tops toward the oak, of course I was by then near the opposite end of hedge but got a first good shot, two later, darn camera doesn't like to focus in dull weather.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Cropped

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Shot 2 cropped

Thumbnail by wallaby1

Shot 3 as it glided to the oak, I don't think it stayed for long, I went back to look!

Thumbnail by wallaby1

A pair of ducks flew off from somewhere behind the oak.

Thumbnail by wallaby1

One from yesterday. a Starling and sparrow.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Marlton, NJ

I like the long shots of the Magpies!

The duck one is nice also!

The last shots nice too and of course you know how much I love those two,lol.

Las Cruces, NM

Today was too cold and dreary to sit outside watching my desert birds; so I decided to head down to the river and see if any of our winter visitors had arrived yet.

I spotted a Great Blue Heron along the shore and managed to get a couple photos of it. I got one shot of some ducks flying overhead (althought it's not much more than a silhouette), and some fairly good shots of our mallard and other duck visitors.

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

I hope these don't duplicate post ... don't know what I did; but the other pictures didn't come through. (Trying again!)

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

ducks #2

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

ducks #3

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

ducks #4

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

ducks #5

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

ducks #6

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Las Cruces, NM

ducks #7 (last one)

Thumbnail by NM_Jane
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Jane!

I see 2 Mallards; did you need the others identified?

Las Cruces, NM

Thanks Pelletory! If you know what the other ducks are, yes please ID them for me. I know the green headed one is a mallard. Also, I think the brown ones with the blue stripe (one in the water and on shore) are female mallards. I don't know what the others are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.