Rock for greenhouse

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I have just finished my greenhouse and ready to put in some type of rock. It is a leanto by Elite, 6.5W x 16.5L.x 8.4 H. I was thinking I would put down some landscape material and then put rock on it. What size rock would be best? I'm also not sure what heaters to use. Electric is available but also Propane. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

I put down landscape fabric over the leveled red clay and then pea gravel (about 4 inches deep) in mine. It has worked well so far. Less than 2 years old though. Drains well when I water, etc. My GH is only 6 x 8 so I use a small electric heater. Haven't see a difference in electric bill. I have a small kerosene heater for backup in case electricity ever goes out. When it was down to the 20s here last winter, it stayed in the low 40s in the GH.

Fulton, MO

I would avoid pea gravel and go with 3/4" crushed rock.

Las Cruces, NM(Zone 8a)

I used crushed rock that's about 3/4"-1" in size. I read some complaints from folks using pea gravel because they said it got stuck in their shoe treads, and they tracked it in the house. Maybe it depends on your footwear!

I went with electric heaters since the GH was very close to the power already, and it seemed like a simpler solution for us. My gh is 10x12 and I'm also in zone 8. (Cooling will be a much bigger challenge than heating for me.) I figure one 1500w heater will work for my gh most of the time, but I have two heaters ready for our coldest nights.

Thomasville, GA(Zone 8a)

I finally decided to go with landscape material first and them limerock. It is used in many of the greenhouses here. Also I am going to use electric for this winter and see how it does. Thanks for all your suggestions. Elaine

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

My pea gravel isn't pea size. Its actually 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches mixed rounded pebbles. I don't have any problems with it sticking to my shoes. I don't like crushed rock because it is usually more dusty, at least the kind we get here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.