Help...massive roots!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have a large pot of mixed amaryllis that stayed outside all summer and is still there as we have had a very warm fall..still in the 80s during the day. Some of the tags managed to disappear, and the ones that are left say 'Lady Jane' and Aphrodite'. The other bulbs are a mystery until I can remember what I bought or they re-bloom.
I have pretty much ignored it except to water and fertilize, and it was full of pine needles.
Anyway...when I lifted the pot to move it into more sun, I discovered huge roots growing out of the bottom...now what?
Should I cut them off?.
Dig the bulbs up and try to save the roots?
The plants are still green and growing...hadn't planned to give them dormancy..
They look like tree roots, but there is nothing else growing in the pot that I know of...
Do amarylis get big heavy roots?
They are coming out of the bottom holes in the pots...
I'm so tempted to take the bulbs out and re-pot them...but they are growing so nicely...
Any ideas?
What would you do???

Sharon, vowing to take better care of her ams from now on...

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Sharon why do you not just put them in the ground??? Mine survived even last winter.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi, Marie...
Don't have a good place for them!
Too many plants!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL....

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Duh!!!

Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

If they were mine I'd repot them - And yes Hippies can have massive roots - the only plant I know that gets more excited is a Crinum. Really most Amaryllids are gross feeders - big white roots and lots of them are the norm. I keep wondering how some of you guys can get away with such small pots for your bulbs?

Regarding your other question though, you will probably have to cut the extra roots off at the drain holes. Unless they are still very short (and it doesn't sound like it) you will have serious trouble getting the extra roots back through the pot holes without damaging them and clean flat cuts will heal better than long scrapes. Also, if your potting mix is slightly damp but not wet when you repot, you can leave the plants without watering for a week or so, which will allow the cut roots to heal over and reduce the chances of rot occuring. Don't worry if the leaves droop a bit, they will come back to life when you start watering again.

When you do relocate the plants you may be able to gently disentangle the different plants from each other and plant them up in separate pots so you can get your labelling sorted out as they re-flower next season. Best of luck, and post us some pictures! TTFN, KK.

Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Can you cut the pot around the roots? Like a plastic pot. Or they in nice, decorative pots?

I've had to cut or break pots around amaryllis in order to pot up, because I prefer that to disturbing the roots.

The OP could also try soaking the rootball and then gently potting them up individually. The roots need fresh soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.